Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

C5 miss-fire and detonation.....HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 miss-fire and detonation.....HELP!!

I have a 2000 C5, when I bought it a year ago it came with 6 MSD and 2 stock ignition coils. The problem I'm having is that it sounds like its detonating above 4,000 RPM or if I'm on the interstate and just roll into the throttle it sounds like it starts to detonate. A week or so ago the engine started to miss and the CEL came on, I checked and the code was a miss fire on 7, I pulled the coil checked the wire and spark plug, cleared the code and it happened again a couple days later so I swapped coils on 7 and 2, I got the miss fire code again but it was on 8. If I just drive short distances it seems to be fine but if I drive 25 miles or more it will miss fire or if I'm out running errands it will miss fire after a couple stops. Based on that it seems to be a heat soak thing and the coils is all I can think of. Anyone else have a similar problem or any ideas....THANKS!!
Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those MSD coils have been known to cause issues. From what I recall, the consensus on here was to stay away from them.

Personally, I'd grab a good used set of stock OEM coils off here or ebay. Replace the plugs and wires and see how it runs.

If it is intermittent, it could be a coil acting up once it gets warm or possibly a plug wire breaking down. I'd lean toward the coils. I find it interesting that it had 6 MSD and 2 stock ones. It was like someone was having issues with them and swapped on 2 others to replace failed ones.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Msd coils suck period. Put stockers back on and be done with it
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

Agree with above...sell the MSDs..and get stockers..
Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Kus99TA
I have a 2000 C5, when I bought it a year ago it came with 6 MSD and 2 stock ignition coils. The problem I'm having is that it sounds like its detonating above 4,000 RPM or if I'm on the interstate and just roll into the throttle it sounds like it starts to detonate. A week or so ago the engine started to miss and the CEL came on, I checked and the code was a miss fire on 7, I pulled the coil checked the wire and spark plug, cleared the code and it happened again a couple days later so I swapped coils on 7 and 2, I got the miss fire code again but it was on 8. If I just drive short distances it seems to be fine but if I drive 25 miles or more it will miss fire or if I'm out running errands it will miss fire after a couple stops. Based on that it seems to be a heat soak thing and the coils is all I can think of. Anyone else have a similar problem or any ideas....THANKS!!
Hey bud, looks like you are the next town over from us (We are actually on the Sarasota/Bradenton border right off of SR-70 on the south side off of 301/63rd Ave -- Near Flowers Baking Co). Why don't you stop by our shop with it and we can take a quick peak at it. No charge for the diagnostics. Have been working on these things for 13+ years now, along with tuning for 11+ we should be able to figure it out for you!

- Matt

Quick Reply: C5 miss-fire and detonation.....HELP!!