Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

All-GM Oktoberfest @ Silver Springs Theme Park in Ocala, FL for 2013

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy All-GM Oktoberfest @ Silver Springs Theme Park in Ocala, FL for 2013

After 7 years in association with Silver Springs Theme Park to host the All-GM Oktoberfest car show, National Parts Depot regrets to announce that the 2013 edition of the show will not take place.

As of February 2013, an agreement was reached to transfer control of the park from current lease holder Palace Entertainment to the state of Florida, which will begin on October 1st, 2013.

More information on the agreement can be found in the articles below:

Gainesville Sun (January 23rd 2013) - http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...CLES/130129830
Gainesville Sun (March 10th 2013) - http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...CLES/130309578

National Parts Depot feels that trying to put the All-GM show together with so many unresolved and potentially-unfinished projects on the table, as well as a transfer of leadership less than one week before the proposed show date, could prove troublesome. As a result, we are working towards the possibility of bringing the All-GM Oktoberfest show back to Silver Springs Theme Park in October 2014.

We will post updates to our website, www.npdlink.com, as we solidify plans towards our next show. Any questions or comments? Please e-mail me at dputnam@npdlink.com.

Derek
Old 04-10-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hold it in the npd parking lot
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Speaking of NPD, anyone know if you can still visit the museum there or is it only open for special events?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Derek, you should host the cruise to Cedar Key as normal, and have the show in conjunction with Garlits. Just a thought. That or host a show at NPD. Don't let it skip a year. Super Chevy did that, tried to restart in Gainesville, and now ......
Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ocala93TA
hold it in the npd parking lot
Although it's a decent sized lot, the NPD parking lot wouldn't hold the 600+ cars and trucks we are used to getting at Silver Springs. Not a bad idea though!

Originally Posted by Joe99SS
Speaking of NPD, anyone know if you can still visit the museum there or is it only open for special events?
The car collection is still here (we don't charge an entry fee, so we don't refer to it as a museum usually). However, to check out the cars we require that someone from NPD accompany you to show them. We do group tours several times throughout the year; if you want to come look at the cars just as 1-4 people, shoot me a pm and I'll see what I can do.

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz28
Derek, you should host the cruise to Cedar Key as normal, and have the show in conjunction with Garlits. Just a thought. That or host a show at NPD. Don't let it skip a year. Super Chevy did that, tried to restart in Gainesville, and now ......
From what I've been told, Garlits' show packs his field where we likely couldn't bring in even 100 cars and make it work without running out of room.

I don't think the cruise would bring in many cars on a Friday morning without a show the following day (just my thinking).

See my note on hosting it at NPD above.

I agree; it pains me to report it considering how many years I've been doing our two shows at Silver Springs. But when you weigh out all the factors, I can't honestly say it's a bad decision. We'd rather host a show done right than one that could be cobbled together.

Derek

Quick Reply: All-GM Oktoberfest @ Silver Springs Theme Park in Ocala, FL for 2013