Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Un-Fing REAL!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Angry Un-Fing REAL!!!!

So I just spent the ENTIRE day on the road. I leave from JAX and head 5+ hours WEST to Pensacola to pick up my new 01 WS6 Convertible. I look it over, drive it around the area and all looks good. Has a new top, ice cold air and hot *** heat, shitty beige interior and a $5 paint job, but I can work with the last two.

So I give the guy $4300 and head back home. I have my buddy tagging behind me since I forgot my tag. All seems well at this point, been driving for 250+ miles at a constant 80mph, though I had a fun pull to 120. Well we're heading EAST back home to JAX and we hit I-10 and 441, around Live Oak,I think it is, and all of a sudden my buddy pulls along side me and screams, "YOUR CAR IS SMOKING!!!" At first he thought it was am patch of heave fog, but then the smell hit him.

So I pull over and my car looks as if it's on fire, under the hood; we open it up and let the smoke dissipate and all I see is Trans Fluid EVERYWHERE! I first thought it was oil, because it was all on the pass side, but it start to puddle under the pass door and it's red. Now it's 12 Midnight, we're still 100 miles from home and we just drove 550+ mile, for the day.

So I call my Allstate roadside and get a flat bed out there to pick it up. The guy shows up to my house about five minutes after we do. So he's unloading the car and needs to use a plank of wood under the pass tire to clear the bed and as the car is rolling back, the wood lifts and gets jammed into and under the bumper pushing it forward, now it is separated at the upper fenders on both sides. I call Allstate and they tell me to bring it up with the towing company so now I got to fix the ******* trans and Deal with a ******* retard of a tow company.

I'll reiterate.... UnMOTHERFUCKING REAL!!!!

Last edited by Whistler; 03-17-2014 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Don't curse in the title
Old 03-09-2014, 03:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats ashame
Old 03-09-2014, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad to hear that....what was the caused of the trans fluid leak?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, that sounds like a night where **** goes wrong all over the place.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

What a crappy night!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sup guys!

well being that it's only been a few hours and it's now a sunday, I don't have any news to update with, but let me ask this...

The Pass side is the side that got drenched with Trans fluid. It's all over the Pass side wheel on the inside and outer side. Is there any type of line that could have ruptured on that side? Why was it all localized to the Pass side and nothing got on the driver side?

Here's is one thing i recall before it happened... the guy in front of me hit his brakes hard, which in turn coaused me to do the same. When i did that, i heard a strange little noise and it felt as if a vac line popped off or something; right after this, this is when my buddy pulls along side of me and tells me I'm smoking. Here's the thing though... the car was still in gear and I was still accelerating. save for that weird noise and sensation I felt, right after the hard brake, I didn't notice anything.

Could a line have popped or maybe the pump seal popped? Like I said, I was doing around 70mph give or take 5 or 10 mph and I did get spirited about an hour or so earlier, hitting over 100mph.

Prior to this, we had stopped numerous times and I smelt nothing, nor experienced anything strange. Up till it happened, it was literally SMOOTh sailing. I just don't get it.

As for the damage the fucktard did to my bumper, when removing my car from the flat bed. Now that I can see it in day light, there's a good 1/4 gap where the upper corner of the bumper meets the fender.

This is just BULLSHIT!!!! Unbelievable BULLSHIT!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Teching In

It's very possible a hose or line popped off. There are 2 lines above the 2-4 synchro (it's the round part on the outside of the trans). I would look there for sure when cleaned up.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

With the wind like it is, a line may have popped or even a cooler and the airflow could've blown fluid in a particular direction. That said, my I'd definitely check all the lines and connections as well as everything up front where coolant runs.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I hope it's as simple as a line popping off! I figured that there was something like a line on the PASS side since the dip stick is there too and that's were all the fluid was at, all over the motor.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Get it on some jackstands and take a look
Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jsteele90
Get it on some jackstands and take a look
Bro, I wouldn't even know where to look, or what I was looking for.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

follow the metal lines under the car that go from your radiator to the passenger side of the transmission. there are 2 of them.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 PM
o2k
Staging Lane

I feel your pain.. I had my own issues the day I picked mine up.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

One of those lines popping from just braking... I don't know...

That tow company is going to help with ******* up the bumper though, right?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

That sucks! With that said, the new car looks good, other than the issue with the trans. You still have your other vert?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:45 AM
TECH Resident

stupid cars !!! sorry to hear about your bad luck
Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a additive that glows under a UV light. If you added some to the trans and ran the car for a short distance, or put it on jack stands and ran it, then you could use the light to locate the leak.

If I remember correctly the trans cooler lines connect to the radiator on the passenger side. If one of the cracked or had a leak you might get fluid around that area.

When you looked was the trans dip stick seated? If a trans gets hot enough it can push fluid out the tube. This can be very dangerous. If the fluid gets on the header it can catch on fire.

How much trans fluid did you loose? Does the fluid smelled burnt? Is it red or brown?

Maybe a trans guru can chime in.

Tow company's have insurance for stuff like this. They will try to refuse and weasel out of it. Don't let them fix it themselves they will try to cheap it out. Many states regulate or license the tow companies so you might have some leverage there.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Theres lines on yhe pass side of the trans that go to the trans cooler. One probably popped off or something
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Could of split of popped off a line. Also check where the dipstick tube for the trans goes into the transmission oil pan. The rubber o-ring for the dipstick could of failed.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If the car was still driving like normal, and the fluid it localized to the passenger side, it definitely sounds like a cooler line let loose. the come out of the trans on the passenger side just behind the bellhousing and run along the oil pan, then cross over to the passenger side of the front of the motor and out to the radiator support. The line may have had a weak spot from vibration/rubbing and the higher pressure caused from that pull may have finished popping it. Sucks for sure man, hope that's all it is. That is an easy fix.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Un-Fing REAL!!!!