Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Relocating

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Relocating

Hey All,

Random post but figured I'd go back to my roots in the camaro message forums while in the process of getting rid of some parts posted in classifieds.

Been looking to relocate to Florida and have finally made the moves to start making that happen. Just looking for your input on some good areas or feedback both good and bad.

I have a few offers from the following cities and just trying to narrow it down. Im coming from the northeast and no family will be down there so I am essentially a "trail blazer".

Some of the areas are Clermont, Wildwood, outskirts of Sarasota, esterro/north of there, Port Orange, & Palm Beach Gardens.

Any thoughts are places within those areas to look or stay away from would be appreciated. The big issue is finding that place and whether to buy or rent a house first along with picking the right job offer if it presents itself. (since you kinda have to be in the state some what to get hired.) Catch 22

I know its random but figured I'd get some feedback and straight answers on some pros and cons.

Thanks in advance..
Old 09-02-2017, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I moved from south Florida to port orange and I'm very happy with the area, palm beach gardens is nice of you need to be close to west palm beach and/or want to be in "south Florida " Of course the closer to the south you are , the more crowded and traffic you are going to find.
Can't help with the other areas but let me know if you have questions about the areas I know about
Old 09-02-2017, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

depends so much on what your looking for. country beach or city.....if i had to pick one i would say clermont. nice country-ish area its been growing alot lately close to orlando but still quiet. second choice would be port orange small cozy coastal city close to beach traffic isnt too bad smaller than clermont i think. sarasota is a bigger city more traffic and bs and im not to familair with palm beach but my impression is more uppity high class much more expensive cost of living in the options stated. wilwood is even more country not.much going on there i would stay away
Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 AM
Launching!

What line of work are you in, some areas in Florida are better for different lines of work. Also what sort of place do you like living in do you want city and traffic, the old Florida, or rural?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Teching In

I've been in Florida my whole life. I've lived in Port Orange since 2004 and for the life of me, I'm trying to figure out why people move here. Moving to Florida is a novelty for most and living by the beach isn't gonna pay the bills. I have a very niche business that moved me here so, I do ok. Many people have moved here for no rhyme or reason and then start bitching about no job or low paying jobs. The larger cities seem to always have a better job market. Find the job that suits you and rent at first so you're not tied down and want to move on. Wish you luck on your new move.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by z28pat
I moved from south Florida to port orange and I'm very happy with the area, palm beach gardens is nice of you need to be close to west palm beach and/or want to be in "south Florida " Of course the closer to the south you are , the more crowded and traffic you are going to find.
Can't help with the other areas but let me know if you have questions about the areas I know about

Hey, Thank you for the feedback, sorry didn't see that anyone replied to the post via email.

I am looking more in the middle tropical area, nothing further south than West Palm.. to hot to crazy and to expensive.(like you said)

I stumbled across Port Orange on my way south from Daytona and liked that there were new communities that were reasonably priced.

The issue I am seeing more of though is taxes up in the North East US are between 8-12k and floridas taxes are cheaper but the when you factor in some of those HOA ammenity fees Im back were I started with high rates. (but would be getting a much larger and nicer house.

To be totally honest, I was totally sold on palm beach gardens area in sense of things to do and semi busy and the whole close enough/ far enough from everything. However, and I don't mean this as rude to anyone out there but the overall houses were very old and obviously due to the area so expensive. I was kinda shocked. I took a look into PGA over there too and I get the whole golf thing BUT some houses over there were so dated and soooo old and expensive and needed so much work I couldn't believe what they were asking along with fees.

Do you know of any communities within Port Orange or pockets with newer construction or developments. When I search online its always pullin things like toll brothers, lennar, etc and I know there are some areas but NO idea were to be or not be in port orange.

Thanks again for taking the time out to reply....
Old 09-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CFLFORMULA93
depends so much on what your looking for. country beach or city.....if i had to pick one i would say clermont. nice country-ish area its been growing alot lately close to orlando but still quiet. second choice would be port orange small cozy coastal city close to beach traffic isnt too bad smaller than clermont i think. sarasota is a bigger city more traffic and bs and im not to familair with palm beach but my impression is more uppity high class much more expensive cost of living in the options stated. wilwood is even more country not.much going on there i would stay away
I went to Clermont many years ago when they had a couple of massive communities in the works and I couldn't believe there were hills like that in Florida. At the time it was to rural or away from things, but I did like how I could see the fireworks nightly from Disney. LOL The big thing is the job I know I can find things alot easier in orlando and the commute from clermont to orlando at the time wasn't so bad. Any ideas on some areas to look at the time the two communities I viewed was "Legends" & some Bella Collina Preserve which was insanley expensive but all there really was to look at....???????

The other thing like you mentioned was being totally land locked in Clermont. I am not a beachy type person but do enjoy cruising around and having the water within 30-45 minutes is a nice thing.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply appreciate you getting back to me...
Old 09-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2slowTA
I've been in Florida my whole life. I've lived in Port Orange since 2004 and for the life of me, I'm trying to figure out why people move here. Moving to Florida is a novelty for most and living by the beach isn't gonna pay the bills. I have a very niche business that moved me here so, I do ok. Many people have moved here for no rhyme or reason and then start bitching about no job or low paying jobs. The larger cities seem to always have a better job market. Find the job that suits you and rent at first so you're not tied down and want to move on. Wish you luck on your new move.
Hey, THanks for the feedback and honesty! That is my big thing, I really am researching the heck outta this. I've been a home owner for 15+years in the North East and realized that there is more to life that the grind that is up here. Everybody makes "good" money but it costs good money to be here with favorable weather about 3-4 months out of the year. However, I DON'T want to be one of those people you mentioned livin that pipe "beach" dream. Reality is got many years left to work but also need to get paid for it too. The big issues are job and pay the even bigger issue is looking for a job when you don't know exactly where ya wanna be in the state. I had buying a home on my mind for a while but I am seeing more and more people doing this rent to own in florida which is interesting if I end of liking it. But your right I thinking renting early on would be best just in case I want to pick up and go, problem is some of this rental rates are the price of a mortgage so thats where I was torn.

If you don't mind me asking or if ya wanna PM me thats cool as well... what do you do for a livin and would you go some place other than port orange in FL or rather where would you go?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

I guess like they say, the grass always appears greener on the other side...
Old 09-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by groundczero
What line of work are you in, some areas in Florida are better for different lines of work. Also what sort of place do you like living in do you want city and traffic, the old Florida, or rural?
Hey, I do mostly finance and business type work and that can fit into a lot of places. However, I know places like New Tampa and Jacksonville are good places for that type of work but I am lookin more suburbia with reasonable distance to water. (something that doesn't take a day trip to get too)

Its tough because there are so many nice places but not condusive for makin money needed to live.

Places like Ocala were amazing but too rural for me, but would def be a place I would cruise to ya know.. so nice and tranquil.

Sarasota was great, but like someone said earlier a little tooo busy so I was looking a little further south but had no idea. Then stumbled upon port orange and then palm beach gardens on the other side and they had nice things and also pros and cons. Do have Any recommendations/ suggestions?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond...
Old 09-07-2017, 06:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by carguy2012
Hey, I do mostly finance and business type work and that can fit into a lot of places. However, I know places like New Tampa and Jacksonville are good places for that type of work but I am lookin more suburbia with reasonable distance to water. (something that doesn't take a day trip to get too)

Its tough because there are so many nice places but not condusive for makin money needed to live.

Places like Ocala were amazing but too rural for me, but would def be a place I would cruise to ya know.. so nice and tranquil.

Sarasota was great, but like someone said earlier a little tooo busy so I was looking a little further south but had no idea. Then stumbled upon port orange and then palm beach gardens on the other side and they had nice things and also pros and cons. Do have Any recommendations/ suggestions?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond...

I would take a look at Brevard county, Palm Bay, Melbourne, West Melbourne, it is similar to PGA was 20 years ago yes there are some older houses near US1, but there is plenty of new construction farther west, and the HOA fees are terrible. That being said there are some homes that are city or county w/o HOA that are nice.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by groundczero
I would take a look at Brevard county, Palm Bay, Melbourne, West Melbourne, it is similar to PGA was 20 years ago yes there are some older houses near US1, but there is plenty of new construction farther west, and the HOA fees are terrible. That being said there are some homes that are city or county w/o HOA that are nice.
Thank you will do that, heard of it but don't know much about that area....

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Hey ALL,

Being that your in Florida and all.... be safe out there. Wish you and your families the best during these storms!!!!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure your consideration for Florida may have changed in the last few days.

Having moved to Florida with a job, later having to give it up because it wasn't what I expected, trying to find work for 6 months then deciding to seek work back home in Atlanta and landing a job in 2 weeks... I can say that South Florida is not a kind job market for those in/seeking traditional employee roles. If you have subcontractable skills, can work remotely, or have enough capital to begin investing in a business of your own, then you'll have a better chance. Speaking Spanish is also a requirement of many employers.

I'd be looking a little farther West if I were you.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I'm sure your consideration for Florida may have changed in the last few days.

Having moved to Florida with a job, later having to give it up because it wasn't what I expected, trying to find work for 6 months then deciding to seek work back home in Atlanta and landing a job in 2 weeks... I can say that South Florida is not a kind job market for those in/seeking traditional employee roles. If you have subcontractable skills, can work remotely, or have enough capital to begin investing in a business of your own, then you'll have a better chance. Speaking Spanish is also a requirement of many employers.

I'd be looking a little farther West if I were you.

Yeah its been on my mind very recently..ugh.

Funny you say Atlanta.. I have good friends that just moved down to Canton, GA about 5 years ago and they love it. Thought it was gonna be too landlocked for me but they said there is so much to do and they reasonable drives from everything. I made a trip down to Savanah, GA and absolutely loved it there and the history of the city..but it just wasn't for me with not many opportunities I could jump on.

Guess will being paying my friends a visit soon... thanks for the advice and tips.

I just know I want a change and to move outta here but just don't want to make a mistake/regret... The job market sounds funky down in FL I am looking for the long haul and longer term...

The big thing that concerns me and the reason I don't want to "rush" into anything is that I see and hear about many people similar to yourself going back to where they were... that is what has my radar up. The north east is so damn expensive and congested and I am amazed that people move to FL only to come back and live in basements or smaller older accommodations when they were renting or buying amazing large apartments and/or houses and had decent jobs down in FL.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Many move down here for a while and go back for all kinds of reasons. Just don't be one of the many that have that pipe "beach" dream like you had said. Once they figure out it's not that "Utopia" they had thought, they start griping about everything. Just be realistic. Research your job and area, rent short term and if it doesn't work out, no big deal. If it does, great. I'm in the aircraft re furb business. The customer base is VERY mobile so, I get business from all over the US. That's my saving grace. Also, the Hurricanes do suck.

Quick Reply: Relocating