Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

HELP:clearcoat bubble and peel

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fugasi
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but was wondering if anybody has a downloadable copy of this TSB? Quarter panel got hit and the adjuster refuses to spec out a new panel, because he doesn't want the pillar skin to be removed (says that it'll leak because they won't glue it back right). My paint isn't bubbling, but as I remember, this TSB displays exactly how to reglue the skin and details exactly what kind of adhesive to use... Thanks.
Your local dealer can get you the copy of the TSB. Someone once posted a pdf file of it, but if it was on LS1.com it's gone since the board changeover.

Here was my orig post. The guy that attached the pdf file may still have it.

Show's exactly what part gets replaced and how. It's on the 2nd page, so give that guy a PM maybe he can send it to you.

P.S. Mine my was a year and a half ago, my B/F's car was also done........NO LEAKS so tell your Ins. guy he's a dumb **** and knows NOTHING about these cars he should go adjust property damage from sandstorms instead.

Last edited by racer88; 10-17-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

2000 Pontiac TA, pewter
Old 10-17-2005, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Search the appearance section in here, it should be there.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Got it. A GM parts manager friend of mine was able to find it and send it to me. It's not a pdf, but it's decent enough to print out and bring in to the dealership when I bring the car in for repairs.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:11 PM
FormerVendor

You must call GM at one of their 1800#'s and tell them whats going on. I have the # at home. Get the persons name so you can say you called and they said bring it to the local dealer for repair.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by VSGLS1
You must call GM at one of their 1800#'s and tell them whats going on. I have the # at home. Get the persons name so you can say you called and they said bring it to the local dealer for repair.
Don't know if this was for me or not, but I didn't need the TSB for the bubbling. My b-pillar paint isn't bubbling. I needed something that showed the exact location for the adhesive, and that's the only thing I remembered that had that...
Old 10-17-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't you GO to the Dealer and ask for a copy of the TSB?

TSB's explain what they need to do. It's not a big deal for here YOUR Insurance adjuster is being a dick not wanting to spend more $$ to fix your car the right way if your quarter panel is really toast here.

Call your Insurance Co back and ASK for someone else to come look at a CAR that is NOT made anymore and you are KEEPING for a very long time.......as a collectors car.

Only a new part welded in will work for you.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:15 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Hey Claire, I forgot the date in Dec of the Bradenton race?

Thanks, Dave
Old 10-17-2005, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by racer88
Why don't you GO to the Dealer and ask for a copy of the TSB?

TSB's explain what they need to do. It's not a big deal for here YOUR Insurance adjuster is being a dick not wanting to spend more $$ to fix your car the right way if your quarter panel is really toast here.

Call your Insurance Co back and ASK for someone else to come look at a CAR that is NOT made anymore and you are KEEPING for a very long time.......as a collectors car.

Only a new part welded in will work for you.
It's not my insurance I'm having to deal with, it's the insurance of the responsible party. They hit my car while it was parked just outside of my garage and I was asleep in my apartment. Anyway, yeah, I'm going through those motions as we speak. Luckily, I have a friend that works at that insurance company as a managing agent, so she's got the inside track for me as far as climbing the company phone ladder until I get what I want...

Done hijacking the thread, thanks for the help everyone.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Caveman
Hey Claire, I forgot the date in Dec of the Bradenton race?

Thanks, Dave
December 17th! BE there you better not forget to make it! Gates open at 3 racing starts at 4
Old 10-17-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fugasi
It's not my insurance I'm having to deal with, it's the insurance of the responsible party. They hit my car while it was parked just outside of my garage and I was asleep in my apartment. Anyway, yeah, I'm going through those motions as we speak. Luckily, I have a friend that works at that insurance company as a managing agent, so she's got the inside track for me as far as climbing the company phone ladder until I get what I want...

Done hijacking the thread, thanks for the help everyone.
By all means it's not a hijack, I'd rather see you get your car fixed the right way the first time! Insurance Co's gladly take our premiums, but when it comes to fixing a car that's no longer made...........BS to use used parts or not fix it the correct way. It's not a big deal, so they have to remove the pillar overlay and re-glue it. Big deal, there is more work in making sure the joints are rewelded properly from the hatch area, into the lower door jambs.

Insurance Co's make me mad with all the horeseshit they pull when it comes to fixing a car. I've never had an issue or a wreck, just the **** you always read of others.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:36 PM
FormerVendor

The glue is about an inch from the outside edge all the way around.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

The issue this guy was having with replacing the panel was the fact that to get to the seam in that area, they had to remove and reinstall the pillar skin. He said that they rarely ever reinstall it properly and it leaks. So, I told him about this TSB and the fact the it details exactly where to apply the adhesive. He appeared to just ignore what I said and continued to write the panel up for repair, rather than replacement.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well if you remove it and if it doesn't adhere right..........then what do they do? Install a new one!!

Your Adjuster is on the side of the people who damaged your car. Of course he's going to do what he can to save the Co he works for money. That is total bullshit. Ask for another adjuster OR............call your Ins Co and explain what's happening. Sometimes you can go through your own after paying your deductible and they will go after the other company to get paid back.

I'd explore all of my other options before I let some dumbass adjuster make me have to do what they want and fix my car the way I don't want it to be.

What you should do to bolster the type of repair that needs to be done is get other estimates from other places yourself.......one being a Dealer. If they say the panel needs to be replaced they will list down all the parts that will need to be replaced including the pillar. Screw these adjusters some of them know nothing about cars. The more info you have on fixing your car right the more bartering power you are going to have to get what you want.

To let some schmuck make up a dollar amount of things from what he sees is bullshit. They will state how much they are willing to pay and you will get the check. Once you accept it that's it. If you know ahead of time approx the cost to fix it you will see if they are jerking your *** around.

That's what I would do.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

I already got 3 independant estimates, one at the dealership I'm planning on taking it to. All of them included a new panel, not repairing what's there. These estimates were done BEFORE the assesser and adjuster for the responsible parties insurance came up with their idea of repairing the panel. Also, this morning, this insurance company left a message on my cell phone saying that the estimate has been approved and a check has been sent. This surprised, me as I haven't approved any of this...
Old 10-18-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that completely sucks. When you find out how much the check is for when you get it........go ahead and see if this is going to cover the replacement of the panel at the dealer. If not, then you have the body shop contact the Insurance company and they will have no choice then to pay the difference. You see, some damages aren't noticed until they get the car apart.

I guess you have to wait to see the check. I know one time I had to get a notarized release before I got paid for a guy bumping into my rear bumper on the settlement. What they are doing is jipping you and getting themselves off the hook and settling the damages.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Funny thing is, I probably wouldn't be able to do anything with the check anyway. They royally misspelled my name on the estimate and apparently in their system... lol
Old 02-03-2006, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

hey everyone, its been awhile since we last saw this post, but I just wanted to keep you all updated on my progress. I took my T/A in to the dealership in early december, had them look at it and they agreed to repair it for free. My car is a '99 with 51k miles. However, I was fortunate to have a guy that was really nice and accomodating look at it. Also, the rest of my car is pretty much immaculate, so thats another reason they replaced the panel. He told me if the rest of the car didn't look good, he wouldn't have done it. Anyway, took the car in last week and they redid it. The paint looks good, so no complaints there.

HOWEVER, today was the first rain since I had it done and the t-tops are suddenly leaking like mad. I called them and told them this and they said that there should be no realignment issues, that nothing should have changed as far as the seals are concerned. is this true? cause I know my ttops didn't leak before I had the roof redone. Could they have screwed something up? Is there something I should be looking for? thanks.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iwantanls1
hey everyone, its been awhile since we last saw this post, but I just wanted to keep you all updated on my progress. I took my T/A in to the dealership in early december, had them look at it and they agreed to repair it for free. My car is a '99 with 51k miles. However, I was fortunate to have a guy that was really nice and accomodating look at it. Also, the rest of my car is pretty much immaculate, so thats another reason they replaced the panel. He told me if the rest of the car didn't look good, he wouldn't have done it. Anyway, took the car in last week and they redid it. The paint looks good, so no complaints there.

HOWEVER, today was the first rain since I had it done and the t-tops are suddenly leaking like mad. I called them and told them this and they said that there should be no realignment issues, that nothing should have changed as far as the seals are concerned. is this true? cause I know my ttops didn't leak before I had the roof redone. Could they have screwed something up? Is there something I should be looking for? thanks.
Good to hear they took care of you. For the issue of rain and leaking...........I'd re-postition your tops. They don't touch the weatherstripping or shouldn't I had no issues after my repair going on 2 yrs this coming June.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

well, I went out and readjusted the ttops. they did do a crappy job of putting the ttops on, but we'll see if it makes a difference when the next rain comes. I do have another paint related problem tho. Just when I think I'm finally getting the car where I want it, I notice small paint bubbles starting where the spoiler starts (right behind the sail panel or door) and making their way to the back of the car. So far the bubbles are just on the right side. Any ideas on this one? Another factory defect courtesy of shitty GM paint jobs? let me know if anyone has any insight or has seen this before. Thanks.

Quick Reply: HELP:clearcoat bubble and peel