Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Speeding ticket I was paced wtf

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speeding ticket I was paced wtf

So I was moving to my new home a couple weeks ago and was driving my trans am to the new house I went and passed my girl and her brother who were driving the uhaul. My mother and her fiance were way back behind us in his truck. This state trooper was way behind us way out of my sight I would say at least 200-300 yards back heading in the same direction as us. I guess he heard me get on it a bit and decided to chase me down lights flashin. My mother in the truck said the cop flew past them like a bat out of hell and my girl in the uhaul said the same thing. He came up on me so fast that I didnt pull over on the first street available cuz he probably would have rear ended me (wish I woulda let him). He does the whole jerk cop thing and said "I paced you at 76" (in a 45). I said "Sir I was going 50". he proceeded to be a jerk and I am planning on going to traffic court. The whole thing is that how could he say he paced me when he was accelerating the whole time to chase me down from so far back is there some type of new system to verify when you are exactly pacing someone its not like he clocked me with the radar. Long story short he gave me a ticket for my car being to loud and speeding. He even put on the ticket that I told him "I was going 50". Another funny thing is the first thing he said when he walked up was "this isnt even a WS6" like the performance difference is huge between the WS6 and the plain TA. What do you guys think? anyone with any help?

Last edited by 98Blubrd; 10-02-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Damn thats fucked up. Sounds like he was having a bad day and decided to take it out on you. Id fight it in court.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firebird5134
Damn thats fucked up. Sounds like he was having a bad day and decided to take it out on you. Id fight it in court.
I am definately going to dispute it in court. I am just wondering how he could have any kind of proof. Its almost like he just picked a high number and said "I paced you". I have never been to traffic court and really dont know what to expect. Its not about the money its the pricipal of it all. As far as my car being to loud how do they check that? I dont have cats, so I really dont have a problem with that ticket as being to loud is really just a personal opinion.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd countersue on grounds of slandering your non WS-6.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

To pace clock you he has to follow you and mimic your speed. His speedometer needs yearly if not bi-yearly calibration. So that's another angle to fight it.
Is it possible that he had already pace clocked you further back on the road and you didn't notice ?
Once you gunned it he may have been prompted to do something about it since you had a loud exhaust.
If it happened the way you said it did, I would say you did get screwed with.
However I have always believed that there are 3 sides to a story.
What you said happened, what he said happened and then what really happened.
Good luck
Old 10-02-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no way he had time to pace me. We were all turning left onto a main road from a smaller road just leaving my older house. I made my left turn and was probably 3/4-1 mile down the road when he came flying up behind me. I agree there is always 3 sides to every story but I truely did get hosed as there was no way he had time to sufficiently pace me.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

From my previous experiences in traffic court , the judge is going to give you three options..(1) plead guilty (2) not guilty (3) no contest. If you think you can beat the troopers case fight it all the way. If your case sucks take the no contest plead. Most of the time the judge will issue a reduced fine (typically court cost), and withhold adjustication on points and traffic school. Would you believe the citation thats the easiest to get thrown out of court is an accident citation (no 3rd party witness no case).
Old 10-02-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Is there a radar unit number on the citation or did he write in pace clocked?
Maybe he said pace clocked but tagged you on a radar.
In any case he will most likely testify that in his professional training and experience that he visually estimated your speed at...blah blah blah
Hard to fight that one, specially if he has a good rapport with the court.

I would do what mustang5.0 said.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

same thing happened to a buddy of mine. FHP said they paced him at 130mph but the FHP was in the crown vic and the other FHP in the camaro said "how did you pace him at 130 if your car tops out at 110?"....if im not mistaken my buddy laughed and said "im gonna fight this"
Old 10-02-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Is there a radar unit number on the citation or did he write in pace clocked? Maybe he said pace clocked but tagged you on a radar. Hard to fight that one, specially if he has a good rapport with the court.
Here is what the ticket says word for word "Unlawful Speed-Pace In Inside Lane Passing" I dont get why it should be so hard doesnt there have to be proof. Is it guilty until proven innocent or the other way around? He was nowhere near me when he claimed to have paced me. Its messed up that officers can get away with straight out lying. What do court costs end up being around?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Blubrd
What do court costs end up being around?
Cheaper then an actual fine. For me I had a ticket that was around $86, when I took the no contest plead I just paid $35(court cost) with no points, no traffic school
Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Blubrd
Here is what the ticket says word for word "Unlawful Speed-Pace In Inside Lane Passing" I dont get why it should be so hard doesnt there have to be proof. Is it guilty until proven innocent or the other way around? He was nowhere near me when he claimed to have paced me. Its messed up that officers can get away with straight out lying. What do court costs end up being around?
it depends...some times you dont even get court costs.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have fun in court....and im out
Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by staringback05
have fun in court....and im out
Thanks. I am really looking forward to it . Anyways back to the original topic. Does anyone have any advice/help?
Old 10-02-2006, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

yes, whatever u do, bring a witness... people in the uhaul. have them confirm your story of your speed. unless the cop has video of it or something then the judge will rule in favor of you and your witness. well at least thats how it was here in cali. all the people with witnesses won their case.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

if i were a cop i would never show up to the court hearings lol. hope this goes your way man. i've never had any luck with ******** troopers. they are the ones that always screw me over, and the sheriff's are the ones that always seem to let me go.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sandro arellano
yes, whatever u do, bring a witness... people in the uhaul. have them confirm your story of your speed. unless the cop has video of it or something then the judge will rule in favor of you and your witness. well at least thats how it was here in cali. all the people with witnesses won their case.
The uhaul witnesses may not help since they are friends and/or relatives. Take it to court and hope the cop does not show. If he does, plead not contest. First offense usually gets thrown out, otherwise court costs.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:43 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

**** the cop! It's his word against yours, get a traffic lawyer and fight it in court.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Cops almost always show up because they are subpeonaed to go. If they don't show they better have a good excuse or they can be held in contempt of court.
Your witness' may not be considered credible in this situation because they are related to you, but take them with you.
I think you have to eat this one. Sometimes you have to eat crow. I don't believe you have much of a shot of beating it. But it is worth a shot I think.
Maybe you can rationalize it by saying to yourself that at one time you deserved a ticket and didn't get it? Karma maybe? I know it sucks, just trying to help you not to get too aggravated about it.
As far as cops lying and getting away with it, well in this case its bad. I can see where it can work to the advantage of public safety. With todays liberal judges and juries who the heck needs real criminals beating **** on technicalities.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

If fhp you can almost guarentee they wil show up to court. 5.0 is right, if 1st offense or something then pleade no contest, otherwise get a traffic attourney, its funny watching them in court, and they usually do a decent job. Judge will usually side with officer and find the defendant guilty. goodluck

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket I was paced wtf