Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Need a tranny shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a tranny shop

Well ive been dying to try out this local guy cause he had some great ideas and he does good work but i guess hes too busy to do the work. So i need someone to rebuild my 4l60E. Im gonna put in a kevlar band, heavy duty sprag, heavy duty toring bearing set, and other goodies. Any one have ne good shops?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ONLY transmission shop that will warranty and stand behind the 4L60e is in tampa, fl. its worth the drive b/c Transmission Physicians is the best. every other shop i have seen cant and wont stand behind a 9-10 second car. look them up in the yellow pages online or google since they are not a sponser. i as well as others on this site have TP's combos. incredible stuff.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:59 AM
DSG
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
the ONLY transmission shop that will warranty and stand behind the 4L60e is in tampa, fl. its worth the drive b/c Transmission Physicians is the best. every other shop i have seen cant and wont stand behind a 9-10 second car. look them up in the yellow pages online or google since they are not a sponser. i as well as others on this site have TP's combos. incredible stuff.

+1 for transmission Physicians.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by DSG
+1 for transmission Physicians.
+2
Old 10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

+3 My 4l60e is a monster since getting it back from TP !
Old 10-11-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read sig , they saved my car!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GDM Z28
Well ive been dying to try out this local guy cause he had some great ideas and he does good work but i guess hes too busy to do the work. So i need someone to rebuild my 4l60E. Im gonna put in a kevlar band, heavy duty sprag, heavy duty toring bearing set, and other goodies. Any one have ne good shops?
You are making an absolute HORRIBLE mistake with the Kevlar band. The combination you describe will result in a weak transmission, possibly worse than stock.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GDM Z28
You are making an absolute HORRIBLE mistake with the Kevlar band. The combination you describe will result in a weak transmission, possibly worse than stock. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just trying to be helpful.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another happy customer here from TP. Granted I am not an auto guy, he has done great work for me and I would never consider anyone else.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Transman
You are making an absolute HORRIBLE mistake with the Kevlar band. The combination you describe will result in a weak transmission, possibly worse than stock. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just trying to be helpful.
actually i checked the invoice yesterday and it wasnt a kevlar band...the shop i got it from told me its what they started using instead of kevlar but i cant think of the name.

BTW a bunch of people i know with heads, cam, nitrous cars have kevlar bands and never had a problem. ill try to find out the band i have so i can see what it is.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kevlar bands = junk.

how many consistent 10 second 4L60e street cars around racing in florida? if they run a cheap tranny they wont run 10 second passes for long.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Trent, should I assume the busy guy you're talking about is Chris? I can't say enough about the tranny he did for me, kicks ***! Good luck with this.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
Hey Trent, should I assume the busy guy you're talking about is Chris? I can't say enough about the tranny he did for me, kicks ***! Good luck with this.

Yeah my trannys been there for like 6 months or something and i didnt mind cause he was doing it on the side and i had a tranny to use but big mike sold his car so i gave his back and mine still isnt done. I want to get the car back out so looks like i gotta bring it somewhere. I was dying to have him build me one since yours and felixs are awsome but i cant wait.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
kevlar bands = junk.

how many consistent 10 second 4L60e street cars around racing in florida? if they run a cheap tranny they wont run 10 second passes for long.
When I built my tranny, all I heard was get a kevlar band, what is the issue with the? Why are they no good...?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

When I built my tranny, all I heard was get a kevlar band, what is the issue with the? Why are they no good...?
well when you built your tranny they didnt have the stuff out they have now
Old 10-13-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just listen to what transman has to say, he def. knows his ****.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

another transmission phys satisfied custumer.... defently the best..
Old 10-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Kevlar bands are made of a harder material. They are more resistant to heat, however, they end up tearing up the reverse drum that they ride on and giving it a concave shape. Over time this creates a smaller surface area for the band to grip to and the band ends up burning up.

We've tried it on multiple applications and have not found one to hold up to high hp motors. We've tried every single band on the market and taken the transmissions apart to see the results. The Kevlar band is always the first to burn up. Just speaking from experience, and we've seen hundreds and hundreds of these.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Transman
Kevlar bands are made of a harder material. They are more resistant to heat, however, they end up tearing up the reverse drum that they ride on and giving it a concave shape. Over time this creates a smaller surface area for the band to grip to and the band ends up burning up.

We've tried it on multiple applications and have not found one to hold up to high hp motors. We've tried every single band on the market and taken the transmissions apart to see the results. The Kevlar band is always the first to burn up. Just speaking from experience, and we've seen hundreds and hundreds of these.
thanks for the info...I doubt I qualify for a high HP motor, at about 335/330 N/A, 450/560 N20(rarely used these days), but I'll keep this in mind for the next rebuild.

Quick Reply: Need a tranny shop