Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Got a ticket for some dumb shit

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was with a buddy once in hawaii and we pulled into a handicap parking spot to pick up a friend and leave once.. Never turned the car off, there were 3-4 more handicap spots right there, and we were there a max of 4 min from pulling in to pulling out. Some "citizen on patrol" ***** wrote his plate down for parking in a handicap and my bud got a $250+ fine in the mail. He went to court and it was reduced to like $30 or something. Total BS but, I'd rather pay $30 to learn my lesson and call it a day.

Point of the story: If your story holds up and you weren't doing anything ridiculous, take it to court and you may just have it reduced to a fine or something-anything less than what you got. I'm just saying it "MAY" get reduced.

Any cops in here that would agree or disagree?

EDIT: Obviously if you have a record of being an idiot (ie: speeding, wreckless driving, DUI, ect.) your screwed. In that case, just pay the ticket and stop being an idiot
Old 10-28-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not that he was being ridiculous....hes just mad because his friend got away with somehting and he couldnt....it doesnt seem fair BUT, it is the cops choice, that is a new law in florida, and he broke it....there are alot of nosey people in the world...but why would he pull into a handicap spot? if your not going to turn the car off why not just leave it at the curb?...in the loading and unloading zone?
Old 10-28-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guy we were picking up was standing on the curb in front of this particular spot. The driver just pulled in the spot to let traffic get by. I stepped out so our bud could get behind the seat and I got back in and we left. Technically the driver was wrong but, seems like BS when there were like 3 other open handicap spots and we were in and out like that. Sorry to get off topic...

My only point in the story was that if you screw up and get lucky enough to have a judge listen to your story, he may just lessen the penalty. I personally would not want a single point on my license cause you'll pay for that with your insurance premium when they get wind of it!
Old 10-28-2006, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

I wouldnt say that i am mad that he got away with something that i didnt, its more of all the stupid stuff i could be doing with my car (360's, burnouts, street racing) I get pulled over for that. I have a clean driving record by the way thats kinda the reason points on my licence is a no no for me. I have resisted very hard not to street race or do anything dumb down here cause i dont know the area, and it's a big thing for the feild im going into to have a clean record. Like i said b4 wahts done is done cant dwell on the past, im just going to have to deal wit it, will deffinitly switch lanes when i see a cop pulled over thats for damn sure. LOL
Old 02-01-2007, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

(Little update like anyone cares ) It got dismissed today, cop got transfered to a different county and didn't show up for court so her-ray for me.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

I remember when this law came out. I had to sit on 417 with my lights on, and who ever did not move over if able too, I had to pull over and inform them of the new law...That was boring lol. It's a good law, word just needs to get around more.

I can't believe how many law enforcement officers attend this forum...we should start our own club haha jk.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Staging Lane

Congrats on the Ticket... On another note, Did the cop in the video survive? I mean he got up and out of traffic but thats just the blood pumpping that got him moving so quick. Just curious to see if he later calasped and survived or what? I don't know if it's just me but I can barely watch that kind of stuff. Sorry for the Hiijack.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

i was riding out of town with a buddy of mine who is a sherriff(just yesterday) and highway patrol had someone stopped on 3 lane I-75. he made it a point to switch lanes and explain that to me. he said he's never given anyone a ticket for it, maybe the cop was just pissed he let your friend go and thought he'd make up for it.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

I think this is a great law, even though it shouldn't be necessary. It is a common courtesy to move over if possible, if anyone is pulled off on the shoulder. Unfortunetly common courtesy doesn't seem to exist in this state when automobiles are involved.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got busted by this law by a cop who was abusing his power on I4 last year. Granted, the loud longtubes didn't help.

I saw the FHP officer on the side of the road, so I passed him doing 30 while traveling on the interstate onramp

Once I passed him, I accelerated hard in 2nd gear to the flow of traffic to merge.

Well, the fact that there was a wall on the side of the road, the road was downhill, and my car was loud, the officer decided to leave the stop he had, and chase me down. (still driving in the slow lane)

I got written up for the exact law I was trying to follow, however, he threated to take me to jail for racing, and other crap, so it was best to not challenge it, and pay the ticket.

Since I could not pull over a lane (since merging 30 mph in a 60+ flow of traffic is unsmart)

Ryan
Old 02-05-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I refuse to believe half of the cop stories because people don't want their ego's hurt. Not many people come on here and say I was being so stupid today and almost hit a cop because I didn't get over, I was talking on my phone, and not paying attention. Not that this is you but I'm just saying what is typical from posts like these. People always underplay what they've done because cops are not just out to write tickets because they can. They have reasons. There may be a select few that are hot shots but it's not all of them.

Honestly I don't see how an officer can get away with making threats about street racing and stuff. It's your word against his and if he has no proof then it shouldn't stand under "innocent unltil PROVEN guilty." Because then technically everyone is street racing and I just made a ton of money for the state.

On the flip side of this whole thing, why couldn't the cop just go the the passenger side of the car so he is out of the way of traffic
Old 02-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

The Law is a good one here in Fl. Ask the FHP trooper that lost Both of her legs when a car crashed into to her while making a stop on the Howard Franklin bridge. She's damn lucky to even be alive. The driver got a reakless driving ticket and she has no legs! He got a fine and she got life.

Quick Reply: Got a ticket for some dumb shit