Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006 | 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Default shortblocks?

Does anyone local orlando or even florida sell ls1 shortblocks
looking for 383
Old 12-19-2006 | 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

rev xtreme's engine builder is steve leonard. give them a call and contact him. very good things i have seen.
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

thanks will give them a call
Old 12-20-2006 | 06:32 AM
FormerVendor

I do not know of anyone local who stocks them, but there are quite a few that can build them. Best bet is to call the local supporting sponsors here and see what you can work out. Just beware of some of the "budget" $3000-3500 short blocks as there can be some pitfalls to say the least. This is not to say that you should spend $6000 or more on a shortblock, but a good piece should run in the $5000-ish area. A lot also depends on the applications and goals.

I have a used rotating assembly here that includes a Eagle 4.00" stroke crank, Eagle 6.200" forged H-beams and Probe dished pistons. No rings or bearings. Kind of an odd setup with the 6.200 rods, but I am looking to get $1000 for everything.

Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Old 12-20-2006 | 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

thanks mike
I have gotten a qoute from texa-speed for 4000 shipped
i would rather buy something local
Old 12-20-2006 | 02:17 PM
FormerVendor

I believe the last shortblock I did was in the $5500 area with Callies crank, Lunati rods and Mahle pistons balanced and blueprinted. Definitely a big jump from the $4000 shipped price to say the least. The difference is in the components chosen.

Plus with the $3500-ish short blocks I do not believe there is much if any warranty. SLP has no warranty provision at all and others will send you new bearings if they get hurt. They generally will not cover labor, expensive internal parts, gaskets, fluids or bolts. So at times the budget shortblocks can cost twice as much. The problems do rarely arise, though I have seen 3 budget motors have issues. It is best to ask a builder specifically what is covered if there is an issue. This way if something does happen, it is in black and white. I believe Texas Speed is pretty good at backing their products, but it is good to check and be sure for your own sake.

One engine in particular was bought and told it had been primed. The customer had sent his heads and cam to them for complete assembly and degree in the cam. When the shop got the engine back it would hardly turn. Come to find out the timing cover was hitting the dual row chain so hard it broke the cover turning everything by hand. Opened up the engine and everything was dry including the valves tips, pushrods, oil pump and so oon. If they tried to prime the engine they would have found this problem.

Once everything was finally running, with no help form the builder, the engine was broke in then dyno'd. On the fourth pull, the oil pressure dropped to 10psi idle hot. Pull the oil filter and it was like bass boat paint. Big metallic flakes. No help again form the builder though there was a paper with a written warranty. The warranty is only as good as the word of the builder. He ended up with a $23K build at the shop when it started as a $10-12K start up project. We won't get inot the $1200 heads since that is an entirely different story.

Again, this does not happen often and maybe 5-10 percent of folks have issues. Just is nice to know a lot of the facts versus all the fluff. To some saving that much money, which is a lot, is worth it. But in my opinion, if you are on a budget, do it once and do it right as it could cost $5000 or more to save $1000-1500. Of course do it yourself installers do not have to worry about paying labor, but there is still aggravation and time down for sure.

Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Old 12-20-2006 | 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

+1 on mike's advice. when you get a budget short block, the costs were cut somewhere. the labor and setup time is where it usually is assuming they are using like parts.

cheaper eagle and "compstar" parts will be cheaper for a reason.
Old 12-20-2006 | 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

hey thanks for all the advice

Quick Reply: shortblocks?