Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Gator Fans: Donovan says "NO" to UK coaching job!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:54 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking Gator Fans: Donovan says "NO" to UK coaching job!

Per ESPN.com just a few ticks ago:

Billy Donovan, three days removed from leading Florida to a second consecutive national championship, will remain the Gators' coach and not make himself available to interview for the opening at SEC rival Kentucky.

Donovan told Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart early Thursday morning by phone that he wasn't interested in leaving Florida. Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley told ESPN.com that he and Donovan also met Thursday.

Foley recounted their meeting. "He said, 'This my home, Jeremy. I love the University of Florida. I love you. I had a chance to talk to [wife] Christine and I'm not going anywhere."

Even before meeting with Foley, Donovan apparently had his mind made up. Donovan told some of his close friends Wednesday night that he would not be leaving Florida, according to a source close to Donovan.

Florida will release an official statement on Donovan's decision Thursday afternoon.

Donovan and Foley will discuss terms of a contract extension for the coach after Donovan returns from a planned week-long vacation to the Dominican Republic. Donovan will leave the country Saturday.

"Obviously we've been talking," Foley said. Donovan has two years remaining on his current contract. "Friday is about the celebration [for the title] and then he's [vacationing]. This is where he wants to be."

Donovan turned down a contract extension last spring after winning the 2006 national championship because he said he didn't feel right about it after four then-sophomores decided against declaring for the draft.

Barnhart left a message for Foley on Wednesday seeking permission to talk to Donovan, but Foley did not want a Donovan-Barnhart conversation to occur until speaking with Donovan himself.

The Wildcats will now move on in their search to find Tubby Smith's replacement. Their search likely will start with Texas' Rick Barnes and possibly include Michigan State's Tom Izzo, Marquette's Tom Crean, Texas A&M's Billy Gillispie and Gonzaga's Mark Few. If Barnes and Izzo are not interested, it's not expected to get past the other three if offered.

Meanwhile, the four Florida juniors -- Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Corey Brewer and Taurean Green -- will announce at a 4 p.m. ET news conference in Gainesville whether they're remaining in school or leaving to enter the NBA draft.

Oh hell yeah, It's great to be a Florida Gator!

Now let's pray the fab four stay for their senior year!

Derek
Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweetness
Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

alllright
Old 04-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Banned

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotta love ole' billy! i said it's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!!!!!

p.s. Gators beat FSU in baseball last night up here in jax!!! how sweet would it be to win the college world series!?!?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what a great announcement!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by batmn77
yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotta love ole' billy! i said it's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!!!!!

p.s. Gators beat FSU in baseball last night up here in jax!!! how sweet would it be to win the college world series!?!?
they almost did last year, it would be sweet if they finally pulled off a NC.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id just like to see the baseball team go far.....im mean hell even our volley ball team rapes people....

its official......UF has had the most impressive ATHLETICS program in the last 5 years....
Old 04-06-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah all we need is baseball to get up there and UF will be unstoppable. We came close with Omaha 2 years ago!

Quick Reply: Gator Fans: Donovan says "NO" to UK coaching job!