Insurance on a pleasure car

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawg One
Get a dose of reality, kid.
Try living in S. Florida.
My entire family is insured through State Farm, and I just got my 2002 Firehawk Trans Am lowered to $1,400/yr. b/c I kicked their a$$ a few days ago over my homeowner's insurance (don't get me started on that).
I have always paid up near $2,000 a year on my F-bodies over the years (been driving F-Bodies since I was 21 and I'm not 40-whatever....). If you can get full coverage for $1,000 or less, just pay it. If you got it lowered to $600 a year, you're robbing them.
My friend in St. Cloud just turned me on to Grundy's last night and I put in an application, so am waiting for the reply next week.
They quoted $465 /yr. for $30,000 of coverage. I might raise it higher, however, seeing that Tazman SS is getting $45,000 for $600. Tazman SS, where did you come up with that number on an at least five year old Camaro??? I'm curious because I've invested enough in my Firehawk over the past six years that it's cost me $40,000, but you can't get that from anyone today to sell it and the link at Grundy's to NADA shows a high retail value for MY car of $32,000. Just curious, if you don't mind explaining.
I will be anxious to see the final info. on Grundy's b/c my Firehawk has not been a daily driver since 2003, so I do qualify for the insurance and can sure use the savings if it does indeed come out $1,000 less per year. Who couldn't???
Calm down man im not some spoiled kid i pay for everything i have Im just looking for the best deal that i can ill probably add it back to state farm cause its easier and is a good deal. I know how you feel about dealing with state farm too ive been on the phone with them every few days my dad as well to straighten everything out. We added two new cars dropped the SS i added renters insurance and we split me off my parents policy. Lets just say they had no clue what was going on.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Get a dose of reality, kid.
Try living in S. Florida.
My entire family is insured through State Farm, and I just got my 2002 Firehawk Trans Am lowered to $1,400/yr. b/c I kicked their a$$ a few days ago over my homeowner's insurance (don't get me started on that).
I have always paid up near $2,000 a year on my F-bodies over the years (been driving F-Bodies since I was 21 and I'm not 40-whatever....). If you can get full coverage for $1,000 or less, just pay it. If you got it lowered to $600 a year, you're robbing them.
My friend in St. Cloud just turned me on to Grundy's last night and I put in an application, so am waiting for the reply next week.
They quoted $465 /yr. for $30,000 of coverage. I might raise it higher, however, seeing that Tazman SS is getting $45,000 for $600. Tazman SS, where did you come up with that number on an at least five year old Camaro??? I'm curious because I've invested enough in my Firehawk over the past six years that it's cost me $40,000, but you can't get that from anyone today to sell it and the link at Grundy's to NADA shows a high retail value for MY car of $32,000. Just curious, if you don't mind explaining.
I will be anxious to see the final info. on Grundy's b/c my Firehawk has not been a daily driver since 2003, so I do qualify for the insurance and can sure use the savings if it does indeed come out $1,000 less per year. Who couldn't???
663 is my premium, I submitted pics of chassis, eng bay etc. and they approved. I have Agreed value endorsement, inflation guard, auto show medical reimbursement, full windshield coverage, towing coverage up to 250,etc. 300,000 Lia / 1,000 Med / 50,000 UM / 50,000 UnM. My car has scored as high as 999 out of 1000 points in Worldwide Camaro show-n-shine and has consistently scored 997 points. It was a daily driver the first year I owned the car, has been a pleasure car since. I bought the car brand new. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Good luck on gettin the insurance jimmy...btw i should be getting the SS by the end of this comiong week and i'll let you know when we should get every1 together...
Old 06-24-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TazmanSS
663 is my premium, I submitted pics of chassis, eng bay etc. and they approved. I have Agreed value endorsement, inflation guard, auto show medical reimbursement, full windshield coverage, towing coverage up to 250,etc. 300,000 Lia / 1,000 Med / 50,000 UM / 50,000 UnM. My car has scored as high as 999 out of 1000 points in Worldwide Camaro show-n-shine and has consistently scored 997 points. It was a daily driver the first year I owned the car, has been a pleasure car since. I bought the car brand new. Good luck.
How do you make these endoresement changes? The online application didn't really give an opportunity to do all the things you're mentioning. Maybe they're just not being as specific unless I contact them? Windshield is an obvious I didn't think about. I had to have mine done 3X a few years back because they couldn't get the T-Tops to line up right. That's what I'm afraid of is will Grundy's offer the SAME leve of insurance I'm getting from State Farm? I too scored very high 900's in WWCA Win Nats and took 1st Place for Pontiac 2 yrs in a row when I went up there. This is all great info for me to use for the best premium. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Launching!

How do you make these endoresement changes? The online application didn't really give an opportunity to do all the things you're mentioning. Maybe they're just not being as specific unless I contact them? Windshield is an obvious I didn't think about. I had to have mine done 3X a few years back because they couldn't get the T-Tops to line up right. That's what I'm afraid of is will Grundy's offer the SAME leve of insurance I'm getting from State Farm? I too scored very high 900's in WWCA Win Nats and took 1st Place for Pontiac 2 yrs in a row when I went up there. This is all great info for me to use for the best premium. Thanks for the reply.
I contacted Grundy directly, an agent I knew in NC gave me the number and contact name at Grundy and I told her what I had and coverage I was looking for, she was awesome, sent them check for yearly prem and photos and had my policy in couple weeks. I will see if I can find info and pm ya. When was the last time ya showed at winternats? We have been going for the last 4 years.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I'm afraid of is will Grundy's offer the SAME leve of insurance I'm getting from State Farm?
The specialty companies ike Grundy/Hagerty have agreed value versus stated value by State Farm Allstate, etc. HUGE difference. Agreed value is a guaranteed payout in the event of a full loss. Stated value is the MOST you can receive, but they can still look at comps, depreciation, etc. and you could get much less. Ask your agent (even if you have a current appraisal) if he GUARANTEES you'll get the full amount in a total loss, then get him to sign something to that affect.

Here's an explanation from an insurance site as far as the differences. It is confusing, even some agents do not know the difference. But to an owner of a classic car you need to know the difference.

Stated Amount vs. Agreed value

It's quite common for clients, as well as agency and company personnel, to misunderstand the coverage provided under a stated amount endorsement. Some confuse stated amount with agreed value and fail to understand how the loss settlement process takes place under either endorsement.

Stated amount is most often used in automobile insurance. One such endorsement provides space to list vehicles in the schedule for which stated amount coverage will apply. The endorsement requires a limit of insurance to be listed for each vehicle in the schedule. Immediately below the vehicle schedule is found this wording:

“Note: The amount shown in the Schedule or in the Declarations is not necessarily the amount you will receive at the time of “loss” for the described property. Please refer to the Limits of Insurance And Deductible Provision which follows.” Looking at that section of the endorsement, the following appears:

The most we will pay for “loss” in any one “accident” is the least [emphasis added] of the following amounts minus any applicable deductible shown in the Schedule:

1. The actual cash value of the damaged or stolen property as of the time of the “loss”;

The cost or repairing or replacing the damaged or stolen property with property of like kind and quality; or

2. The amount shown in the schedule.

Agreed value coverage exists in automobile insurance, personal articles floaters, and in some inland marine policies. For example, the personal articles floater endorsement in the homeowners program (HO 04 61) states the following loss settlement provision for fine arts: “We will pay the amount shown for each scheduled article which is agreed to be the value of the article.” (Note that agreed value coverage currently applies only to fine arts in the 1991 homeowners program. It will be available for all scheduled property in the new Homeowners 2000 program.) An agreed value endorsement is available with some companies in automobile insurance with loss settlement language from one such endorsement stating:

In the event of loss to a "your covered auto" described in the Schedule or in the Declarations for which a specific premium charge indicates that Antique Auto Agreed Value Coverage is afforded:

1. We will, subject to the applicable limit of liability shown in the Schedule or in the Declarations for this coverage:

a. Repair or replace the damaged or stolen property with like kind and quality if the amount necessary to repair or replace such property is equal to or less than the limit of liability shown in the Schedule or in the Declarations; or

b. Pay the amount shown in the Schedule or in the Declarations.

Note that the agreed value wording differs from the stated amount wording in that there is no provision to pay any amount other than what's shown in the schedule for agreed value coverage in the event of a total loss. With agreed value coverage, it's a very easy process --- the company simply cuts a check for the amount of insurance shown in the schedule without trying to determine actual cash value (ACV), repair cost, or replacement cost.

An example will serve to illustrate the difference in stated amount and agreed value. Bill and his neighbor Sharon each purchase identical automobiles costing $75,000. Bill obtains a policy with a stated amount endorsement showing $75,000 in the schedule, while Sharon obtains an agreed value policy with $75,000 as the amount of insurance. A year later both vehicles are stolen and never recovered. Adjusters from each company visit their respective clients.

Bill's adjuster conducts a market search of his automobile, using various “blue books” and dealer estimates to assist in determining the ACV of the year-old vehicle. The adjuster determines the ACV to be $58,000. Since Bill's stated amount endorsement provides payment for the lesser of ACV or the amount of insurance, Bill is paid $58,000.

Sharon's adjuster advises her that since she has agreed value coverage the amount of coverage was agreed on when the policy was written. The adjuster pays Sharon $75,000, the amount shown on the policy. Neither the ACV nor replacement cost are considered in the loss settlement.

It's not difficult to see that Bill will not be very happy, especially when he finds out what Sharon was paid. Bill, and perhaps his agent, may have mistakenly thought that “stated amount” coverage worked to his advantage, when in fact it did not.

What then is the “advantage” of stated amount coverage? Or, better put, “Who benefits from stated amount coverage?” The answer is that the insurance company, not the policyholder, benefits from stated amount coverage. The way the company benefits is by limiting their financial liability to a maximum amount. For example, an insurance company may have a financial requirement (or reinsurance treaty requirement) that no physical damage loss payment for an auto loss may exceed $75,000. Rather than completely turn away business where an automobile is valued above $75,000 the company may elect to write the risk, but with a stated amount endorsement of $75,000. Come claim time the company knows for certain that the most they will pay is $75,000. In limiting their maximum exposure they have complied with their financial or reinsurance requirements.

In Summary

Stated amount insurance is used for the benefit of the insurance company. It would be difficult to explain to a consumer how having a stated amount endorsement attached to their policy would benefit them at the time of a loss. Stated amount coverage does not automatically provide payment for the amount of insurance shown; it states the policy will pay the stated amount or the ACV, whichever is less.

Agreed value coverage benefits the policyholder by providing payment for the amount shown in the schedule without having to worry about receiving a payment of lesser amount.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Jeremiah,
That's some awesome information you've posted. Thank you for taking the time to do so. This will benefit me greatly as I contemplate the move to Grundy's. Also, thanks to Tazman SS for the info and contact at Grundy's. I'll be calling to see what kind of a deal I can work out with them.
Now I need to re-read all this info again.
If I can indulge a simple response without drawing your ire because you did repeat your emphasis very well, the Grundy's type of insurance is the best choice because there is an agreed value and they do not haggle in the event of a loss, yes?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacktransam
the only downside is it only insures me.. no one else driving either of my vehicles..
soooo "Go ahead and strech her legs out" could have gone bad??
Old 06-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Launching!

My understanding would be that since I have an agreed value endorsement, and would have a 100% loss they would pay me that amount that is stated on my policy. So that is a better thing to have over stated.

Quick Reply: Insurance on a pleasure car