Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Anyone interested in meeting up at Gainesville Raceway Feb 16th?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where's Jeb99ta?.....we were gonna try and line up a few times last saturday. I'd really like to run him.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Damn test and tune on a saturday day? I'm goin!

Whats gainesvilles rules on helmets??
If you're driving that green car, you'll need a helmet.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
Where's Jeb99ta?.....we were gonna try and line up a few times last saturday. I'd really like to run him.
Are you scared to line up against my slow lt1?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:36 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Whats gainesvilles rules on helmets??
NHRA rules are 13.99 and quicker requires a Snell 2000 or newer helmet in a hardtop or t-top car.
Gainesville is NHRA-owned so they can be stricter on rules than other tracks.
Weather for tomorrow now looks iffy

Derek
Old 01-25-2008, 05:38 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Villain281H
NHRA rules are 13.99 and quicker requires a Snell 2000 or newer helmet in a hardtop or t-top car.

Derek
i'm debating if i'm gonna get the truck ready tonight just incase.
two weekends in a row
Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Ok since it looks like were going to have enough to make this work I am attaching this for all those who have never been to gainesville raceway. Also I have located a meeting spot where no one else pits during T+T that we can meet up at.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone interested in meeting up at Gainesville Raceway Feb 16th?-feb16th.jpg  
Old 01-25-2008, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nhraracer
Ok since it looks like were going to have enough to make this work I am attaching this for all those who have never been to gainesville raceway. Also I have located a meeting spot where no one else pits during T+T that we can meet up at.
Sounds good. With our luck, it'll rain on the 16th as well.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
i'm debating if i'm gonna get the truck ready tonight just incase.
two weekends in a row
I hear ya. I'm gonna keep checking them weather updates just to be sure.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Villain281H

Derek
On the last day time TNT that we went to, my buddy was running 12.0's and they didn't even say anything to him about the helmet. We brought them though just incase but we never had to use them. \

But for all of those they may not have much track experience... even if it is warm wear pants and closed toe shoes
Old 01-25-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Alright, I have to get me a helmet. Well I have to regardless, OSW is 13.99 or faster now also.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
On the last day time TNT that we went to, my buddy was running 12.0's and they didn't even say anything to him about the helmet. We brought them though just incase but we never had to use them. \

But for all of those they may not have much track experience... even if it is warm wear pants and closed toe shoes
Ok, for all those who are coming with little track experience let me run you down on how this is going to work.

1. Your going to enter at the enterance with the Gainesville Raceway sign and follow the road to the first gate. Usually there will be a line of cars there.

2. Pay Marty (the guy at the gate) $20 dollars to race and $5 for everyone you have in the car excluding yourself.

3. Drive to the tech line which is near the Frank Hawley garage. For those who have no idea where that is its the road to your immediate right upon entering.

4. Fill out your tech card while waiting. Your car must have a battery hold down to pass tech (you can buy at any parts store for 9 bucks). Pop your hood. Wear long pants or have a pair you can change into and closed toe shoes. 13.99 (basically everyone here) must have a Snell K98 or SFI 31.1A or later helmet. 11.50 and faster must have a fire jacket at the least.

5. Give your tech card to the inspector when he comes to your car. Get out and pop the hood. Let him do his thing. Answer any questions he might have and provide anything he asks. Once you have passed inspection he will give anyone who is going to the staging lanes and/or actual track with you a restricted area arm band. No one under 18 is allowed in the lanes or track unless he or she is racing. Jr. Dragster racers have a minor waver on file with NHRA and 16 and 17 yo racers have one on file with the track. If you are 16 or 17 and planning to come please get a minor waver now because it has to be signed by both parents and noterized. Drivers must have a armband as well.

6. Keep going in the direction you were. You should see us. There is a concrete slab in the middle of the extened pits. Thats where I and the rest of us will be.

4. When want to run go to the staging lanes and choose your lane and wait. Dont run your AC in the lanes because it makes condesation drip off your car and you will be sent down the return road. Pull up as the line advances. There will be 3 stages. The cars being directed by the staging lanes attendent waiting to enter the track area, those cars in the water box and those staging or going down the track. Once both cars making the run cross the finish line then the cars in the water box do a burnout and move up. When they move up past the invisible ready line the, everyone behind them moves up.

5. It is customary that if you dont have slicks and if you do a burnout you go around the water box then back into it. Rolling through the water box can get water in the wheel well and drip it to the starting line and cause more powerful dragsters to spin out.

6. Stage your car. This involves rolling to the pre-stage and then the stage. Remember the box is about 15 feet from the tree. Bump your car in. If you go past the beams you can not make the run and have to roll down the track. If you want to deep stage (roll the car past the pre-stage beams so only the stage beams are lit) then you must write "DEEP" on your windshield under your run number. Again if you roll past both you cant make a run.

7. If your car breaks get your car stopped ASAP. Pull to the side while doing it to avoid leaking fluids in the groove. Wait for the wrecker to pull you off.

8. After your run turn off at the nearest exit. If you are in the lane far from the exit, wait for the car in the other lane to exit first unless he flashes his headlights, waves you on or something else to signal for you to go first. If you are on the near side exit as soon as possible to allow the other driver to exit in a timely manner.

9. Retrive your time slip. Dont stop to read it till you have returned to where you are pitted.

10. When returning be advised that the pit speed limit is 15 MPH. If your car is like mine, you can just idle back and be speeding.

Any other questions feel free to ask me.

Last edited by Villain281H; 01-28-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Edited rules that were incorrect.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

That's a nice write up. I usually go to OSW, and they don't tech the cars for T&T. Can you give any specifics on what they look at. I have a battery hold down, my wheel studs should be long enough and no dripping fluids. It's a pretty good drive for me, so I would really hate to get busted on something and not be allowed to run.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Are you scared to line up against my slow lt1?
lol, only if it doesn't break....then I might be scared .
Old 01-25-2008, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
That's a nice write up. I usually go to OSW, and they don't tech the cars for T&T. Can you give any specifics on what they look at. I have a battery hold down, my wheel studs should be long enough and no dripping fluids. It's a pretty good drive for me, so I would really hate to get busted on something and not be allowed to run.

Out of the dozens of times I've been to Gainesville, they've only asked me to pop my hood open once.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Local-heretic
Out of the dozens of times I've been to Gainesville, they've only asked me to pop my hood open once.
Same here, but they've always been big on the helmet thing. The few times I took my helmet off before I picked up my time slip they got all serious thinking I didn't wear a helmet. And, that was when I was still in the low 13's.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
They are very leniant on rules at T+T. Thats not saying if your in violation that they'll let you pass. Just that they'll overlook some things. Last year I didnt have a hold down and he said get one when you come back and let me go. Really if your car can run on the street legally and do it well (Good tires, brakes and headlights, seat belts and wipers work) and has the things I mentioned in the article then you'll be good to go.

Some things they might check
1. Tires need at least 50% tread. 12 seconds and under need metal valve stems.

2. 11.49 and faster has to have a 5-point minimum roll bar, 13.49 and under for convertibles.

3. Roll cage for 10.99 seconds and quicker if they a have a modified frame, floorpans or firewall. Otherwise a roll-bar is good to 10.00 or 135 mph in a hardtop or t-top car.

Usually they dont ask you what your car runs unless its painfully obvious the car was made for the strip (shifter, roll cage, interior pulled out, decals, slicks etc) If you keep your mouth shut they'll look at your battery, engine and interior and if your helmet is in view ask to see it and send you on your way.

Last edited by Villain281H; 01-28-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Edited rules that were incorrect.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

im gonna be there tomorrow(26th) hope to see yall there. i aint runnin tho im just gonna spectate (like i usually do). but next sat im runnin cuz i'll have my new headers in with tune and a ported tb. hope to be in mid 12's(key word "hope").
Old 01-26-2008, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Hope you all didn't make the trip, cause the weather sure sucked in Gainesville today. I think every T&T has been rained out so far this year.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:17 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll try and make it. I'm going to let a couple others know about it too.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bobodog
im gonna be there tomorrow(26th) hope to see yall there. i aint runnin tho im just gonna spectate (like i usually do). but next sat im runnin cuz i'll have my new headers in with tune and a ported tb. hope to be in mid 12's(key word "hope").
Did you go today? I almost went but I didnt wanna drive for 2 hours and not race.

How was the weather?

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in meeting up at Gainesville Raceway Feb 16th?