Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Florida Passes HB 137, Speeders Face Vehicle Confiscation, Prison Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id like to see more tracks...giving less of a reason to get out on the streets and haul ***...while i know people are going to do it anyway...to have more tracks there would be no excuse when you get caught....jacksonville doesnt have a track anymore???!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cruel and unusual?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

5-10 years for 30+?! So are they going to put about 200 people a day in jail, lets be real here, anyone who is on a interstate daily can't deny they don't witness someone doing 90 for instance in I-275's 55 zones........

Yep I love to haul ***, on curves too, so unless there is a mandate with this law for about 10 more dragstrips, 5 roadcourses, and a top speed track, this states lawmakers need to **** off. I don't seem to be able to vote against this or even vote for it in the first place, what a load of ****.

This state can have its old farts and pansy *** people, I'm a move back North. If the whole country ever gets this bad I'm moving to Germany, where I can haul *** all I want.Better start working on a degree that can land me a job in Europe, cause the states are starting to look like you have ZERO rights.

I only do about 5 over in my everyday driving, thats not a issue. But if I'm out on a curvy road at 3am and it has some straights and I was to get busted, this would be a bunch of bullshit. I'm with most everyone else, running wouldn't seem like a bad idea at that point.......
Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was a law abiding citizen until today. I'm runnin'. They say you can't outrun a radio ... maybe not in a car (in most cases) ... buying a KZ1400 to 'go boldly where no car has gone before' ... crazy **** ... just gotta' know all the good trails and get to them quick.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i better trade my busa in for a moped, cuz i dont want to be considered a criminal for goosin it once in a while. if im get caught doin 30 over though, theres no way im stopping. id love to see em catch me. probably be illegal to own a dang crotch rocket in like 5 years anyway
Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Whistler
I forsee some high speed getaways if the riders are facing that kind of punishment.
Yeup, now no one will stop if they know this is their fate.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by performabuilt2
I guess the people dont get a say in this democracy anymore ey
Its funny that people think we live in a democracy...far from it in actuality...

Oh well- better than N. Korea I guess!

E
Old 03-19-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Happy it wasn't like this a few months ago. I lost my license for a month and $550.00 in fines for doing "125" in a 55 winding out my Busa on 471 (like 20 miles of straight road through the swamp for those who don't know) here outside lakeland. I was clocked at 108 and the officer chased me as I ran my bike at between 100-186 for 14 miles. He lost sight of me many times but got me after I had stopped(not knowing I was being chased). In that time I passed maybe 3 cars. As the FHP patrol car could only go 125 that is what I was ticketed for. But guess I am running from now on with nothing to lose. This has to be one of the dumbest laws ever.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the first of me hearing about this new law. The question i have is can the police chase you at an excessive rate of speed? I think i heard on the news that they are cracking down on high speed police chases because too many innocent people are being killed, unless they are in pursuit of a violent felon. Is this correct or did i hear wrong?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Last I knew no chasing past 100 or 120 and no chasing after losing sight but not sure after what I went through.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think they said OPD cannot chase, but Orange County Sheriffs and FHP can.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

FHP doesnt chase...unless its an outstanding circumstance...lets be real fellas...their not going to throw EVERYONE in jail for speed, its not logical they will lean more on stiffer fines
Old 03-20-2008, 01:10 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing is I'm not even sure this applies to cars. If you read the law it strictly states all of these factors apply to motorcylces.

My favorite part of this was: Roger Jones Originally introduced by State Rep. Carlos Lopez-Cantera, who developed an irrational fear of bikers after he witnessed some pulling wheelies and driving dangerously during a ride-along with Miami police. Haha, what a bitch.

Originally Posted by staringback05
while im not sure about this new deal, guys let not forget that this is a criminal issue now...running would simply turn it into felony evasion, no one wants a beat down if you got caught or possible time in raiford...that used to not be the case but apparantley it is now...30 and over has always been a mandatory court date and if you are doing 30 over you obviously know the consequences...cmon guys seriously...take your chance deal with it...everyone speeds but 30+ is a whole different ball game
Imagine getting put in jail for cruising over that little speed trap they have at the end of JTB. It goes from 65 to 25 within a few hundred feet. That's not a whole different ball game and cops sit there for a few days at the end of every month.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 AM
TECH Regular

thats right OPD cant pursue and orange county is some of the chillest cops i've ever seen. i had one pull up mid donut and asked what i had under the hood and do it somewhere more private next time hahaha. FHP is the worst ones, they are so strict. but i agree w/ jeb up there... im runnin' too if they try to pull me over after i got caught doin 30+
Old 03-20-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Junkie

why not just fine people very harshly- the state gets more money and doesn't screw up peoples lives.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 AM
12 Second Club

And to think I was about to buy one. Everyone likes to get on it everyonce and a while on open road.

So this bill is only specific to motorcycles so far?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by leftme4dead
So this bill is only specific to motorcycles so far?
Not according to what the OP posted..

Bill HB 137, which was signed into law earlier today, was originally targeted at motorcyclists, but was amended at the last minute to include all vehicles.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

All I am gonna say is watch my rear end become simply an illusion that was never there. HAha. I hate Cops and the dumbass Florida Governor!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

I don't see where the last minute amendment made this for all vehicles but it did tier the penalties and up the speeding to 50 mph over. They can only seize your vehicle aand suspend your license for 10 years after the third offense. Below is from the House of Representative Summary Analysis. Read the amendment at the bottom

SUMMARY ANALYSIS

The bill provides additional penalties for certain offenses committed by a motorcyclist. These penalties include
seizure and forfeiture of the vehicle for reckless driving or exceeding the speed limit beyond 30 miles per hour,
and, upon conviction, revocation of motorcycle licensure for a period of 10 years. The bill may generate an
indeterminate amount of revenue based on property forfeiture, and will have a minimal fiscal impact to the
Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

The bill takes effect October 1, 2008.

Note: A strike-all amendment was adopted for HB 137. Please see Section IV for a summary of the
strike-all.

IV. AMENDMENTS/COUNCIL SUBSTITUTE CHANGES

On March 13, 2008, the Committee on Infrastructure favorably reported the bill with a strike-all amendment,
and an amendment to the strike-all amendment. The amendment creates a new s. 316.1926, F.S., which
provides that violations of s. 316.2085(2) or (3), F.S., regarding motorcycle operation, or violations of the
speeding laws in s. 316.183(2), 316.187, and 316.189, F.S., in excess of 50 miles per hour over the limit, are
moving violations punishable as provided in Chapter 318.

The amendment subsequently amends 318.14, F.S., to provided “tiered” penalties for violations of the newly
created s. 316.1926, F.S. A first violation is subject to a fine of $1,000; a second violation is subject to a fine of
$2,500 and a one-year suspension of the offender’s driver’s license; and a third violation is a third degree
felony resulting in forfeiture of the vehicle and license suspension for ten years.

The amendment clarifies that both wheels must be on the ground at all times when operating a motorcycle, but
it is not a violation if a wheel loses contact with the ground briefly as a result of the road’s surface or other
circumstance beyond the control of the operator.

The amendment to the strike-all amendment removes the phrase “horizontally to the ground” in the statute
requiring license tags to be permanently affixed to the motorcycle or moped.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
I think they said OPD cannot chase, but Orange County Sheriffs and FHP can.
I had this discussion with my cousin. He's the senior FHP in the area, here. FHP cannot chase unless a felony has been clearly committed.

Quick Reply: Florida Passes HB 137, Speeders Face Vehicle Confiscation, Prison Time