Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Weird Studder

Old 09-15-2008, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Studder

i put this in general maint. Had views but no responses i know my Florida Guys Could shed some light on this

This is on my project DD 325i
Ok basically the engine studder/bogs/hesitates something like that. not at idle, but if you hold the rpms at a constant it will run fine for like 3-4 seconds then a small drop in rpms then back to normal then another 3-4 seconds then it drops agian.. even when im driving if i hold it at a constant speed it will ride fine for 3-4 seconds then studder then back to normal then 3 -4 seconds later then studders. I pulled the plugs there good and checked the boots for cracks or anything and they were fine.you could set your watch to it, its the same every time. i was thinking maybe a fuel problem... any help would be appreciated...
Old 09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like a air or fuel sensor.I would take it to autozone to put it on a scanner not a shop they will screw you. But it sounds like a simple problem but trying to find which sensor is the pain. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

yea i would but its obd1 and they dont test those cars...
Old 09-15-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats when it starts to suck!It sounds like the mass air sensor.Try some mass air sensor cleaner or unplug it while its running and see what it does.Now it comes down too trial & error and that gets expensive.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

yea cleaned the maf when i first got it.. didnt have any cleaner but i used a qtip to clean off the junk. so nothing there im tempted to think fuel filter and maybe pump because if i floor it then let off then go agian it sputters like its not getting enough fuel...
Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

You can check the fuel filter, but you also might want to try the mass air again. Get some MAF cleaner, and clean it again. You could of also messed up the small sensor probes inside the MAF when you cleaned it with the Q-tip. Not saying you did, but maybe accidently. The MAF is very sensitive, and if one of those little probes gets bent or moved at all, it starts doing weird things.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

i would say give it a tune up if havnt been done. plugs/wires, fuel filter, air filter, clean the maf. n what someone else said was test it with the maf unpluged. might cause a code tho...obd2 does. also see if u can get flash codes for the car. goodluck
Old 09-15-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't know much about BMW's but I can share a similar nightmare that I had occur on my SS.....long story short and after hours of going over/cleaning/replacing things it ended up being a bad plug wire, even though the originals weren't arcing.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

yea i will have to check all that... The maf in this car is very diffrent than our.. it doesnt have probes it has a wire that goes thru it and make a square in the middle... its weird looking but yea i was very carefull when i cleaned it... What sux is that it has the coils right on the spark plugs so to replace a "wire" means replacing a coil.. im going to try to find a way to test it , ohms, etc. to see if i have a bad coil..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird Studder