Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

This might be a bad Idea, but.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like sombody with the means would design and get a cast turbo manifold done.I realize it would be expensive to do a mold but after you had that you could get all you want cast.Just a simple decent flowing manifold with a straight forward (or close to straight) dumps.You could keep air if you want with straight dumps.I would think you could sell hundreds of them.But back to your kit,if you can find a way to build and market a good and reasonable kit I think you could sell tons of them, especially if you can deliver in a week.Offer a basic kit and let everyone pick their options from there .
Old 10-15-2008, 12:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
It looks like sombody with the means would design and get a cast turbo manifold done.I realize it would be expensive to do a mold but after you had that you could get all you want cast.Just a simple decent flowing manifold with a straight forward (or close to straight) dumps.You could keep air if you want with straight dumps.I would think you could sell hundreds of them.But back to your kit,if you can find a way to build and market a good and reasonable kit I think you could sell tons of them, especially if you can deliver in a week.Offer a basic kit and let everyone pick their options from there .
Thats what we are wanting to do, we want the base kit to be very basic and then leave it up to the customer on how much extra stuff they want to add to it.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Thats what I said....
Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been wondering why someone hasn't put together a kit yet. The manifold setups are ridiculously simple. There isn't all that much material and making a jig would be relatively easy. keeping the A/C and Keeping the stock radiator is a must if you want the kit to sell. I'm thinking most ppl that would be interested in buying a kit like this would be fairly new to Boost and aren't fabricators. not that cutting up the radiator mount is rocket science, it can be daunting.

If you delivered a Hot side only Kit which included A/C, included an alternator relocation bracket, included a battery relocation kit (if needed), gave them the Option to supply there own manifolds(and reduced the price), and included the option to supply there own WG (and reduced the price) I would think you could pretty much corner the market and get even the most money tight person into boost.

something like 2150 which includes the turbo, WG, hot side piping and Alt relocation.

maybe something closer to 1600-1800 for the Turbo, hotside, and Alt relocation.

If you can manufacture the Alt relocation kit, your material/tool costs would be around 300-400 possibly closer to 150 if you can do all your own flanges and order the v-bands and tubing in bulk, plus ~700 for the turbo, that has you clearing (500-700) per kit.

figure the first couple kits take you a while and setting up the jigs so you will eat some of that time but from a structly material standpoint your still in the black...

The Key will be how and where you get the material....
Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 PM
FormerVendor

I agree, the material cost thing is a non issue though. If you ask anyone that has bought a turbo from me they can tell you I get everything pretty dang cheap, I have sources for this stuff that practically give it to me so I am not worried about that. My main concern above making money even is to provide a quality kit, I don't put making money at the top of my list for anything that I do with my company. My main motivation behind the kit is to sell more turbos I really don't even care if I make 100 bucks or not on the kit, I just wanna help as many people turbo their car as possible. I might even give the first couple out at cost for testing. I don't how I am going to run it yet, but I will say this "All the feedback so far has been very helpful". Keep it coming guys.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
something like 2150 which includes the turbo, WG, hot side piping and Alt relocation.

maybe something closer to 1600-1800 for the Turbo, hotside, and Alt relocation. ...

damn you don't want much do you... Why not ask for *ALL* of it for $500.... no wait, that's too much, maybe $250.

Jeez
Old 10-15-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
damn you don't want much do you... Why not ask for *ALL* of it for $500.... no wait, that's too much, maybe $250.

Jeez
What are you talking about? How is $2150&$1600 = $500. His profit margin would be atleast 35-40% I think thats pretty good. he came up with the 2150 I jsut whittled it down giving the customer a chance to same money buying used parts like the WG/manifolds...
Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 PM
FormerVendor

I'm still not sure how much I am going to sell it for. I will assure you guys that it will be the best deal on the market though.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
What are you talking about? How is $2150&$1600 = $500. His profit margin would be atleast 35-40% I think thats pretty good. he came up with the 2150 I jsut whittled it down giving the customer a chance to same money buying used parts like the WG/manifolds...
You have ZERO concept of wholesale cost on go-fast-parts.......and your ideal retail prices are so far off its not funny.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

He's running a business, not a charity.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

I think you'd need to decide which OEM manifolds you would be using, truck, C6, etc., and then look at what will work. Keeping AC is cool but folks might run a bit hot with radiator, ac stuff, and an intercooler all stuffed in there right? I'd figure that out first.

I think a good kit would have coated manifolds, hot sides, alt. bracket, and have optional cold sides.

You'd have to make these in a jig and in mass quantities or you will be doomed to the same problems that OFI and other folks have had.

Last edited by Pro Stock John; 10-15-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninetres
You have ZERO concept of wholesale cost on go-fast-parts.......and your ideal retail prices are so far off its not funny.

What did you smoke for breakfast? and where in the list other than the turbo are there ANY "go fast parts"!? Mustang guys seem to have found a way to make complete kits for less than 3K.... I think you need to look outside the LSx bubble and you will see the LSx tax digging deep into your wallet...

Modular has a great concept here and I think the price is in the perfect range to get ppl who may be short on funds or even someone who has never owned a turbo a taste without shelling out 6-8K!

If the hot side is built right itll offer a great stepping stone for someone to later upgrade the turbo and start pushing there limits..
Old 10-15-2008, 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

We have already contacted a production factory and we will not have issues keeping it in stock.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

If you design the kit with a BMR turbo K-member in mind, you can use stock truck and C6 manifolds to get around the A/C, and have the option for a 3.5" - 4" DP down the driver's side . I see no real reason to use custom manifolds or stainless steel. Maybe stainless can be an option, but for an entry-mid level budget kit mild steel will be fine. I don't think moving the radiator up or even a Griffin radiator moved vertical will be a big deal for most if not all potential customers. The Griffin might also be a good idea since we are talking A2A intercooler, A/C condenser, and radiator in real close company. A good quality set of pusher fans will most likely be needed.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
FormerVendor

We definitely are going to have to run the DP on the driverside. I have a bad feeling about that heat near the A/C comp.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ModularTurbo
We definitely are going to have to run the DP on the driverside. I have a bad feeling about that heat near the A/C comp.
Wrap the exhaust pipe & fab up a sheetmetal shield that bolts onto the engine with the A/C compressor.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:34 PM
FormerVendor

Ok I am getting the feeling that the a/c is gonna make or break this kit. LOL
Old 10-15-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, none of the other kits, Kentuky turbo specifically, offer A/C. It gets up around 95° even in Michigan, not to mention the 100°+ here in Florida during the summer now. I remember when all of my extended family up there didn't have air conditioning in their houses. Now they all have A/C and 3 families have in ground pools .
Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

A turboed car with A/C would kick ***!!! Gives a new meaning for the term "no sweat!"
Old 10-15-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chaman
A turboed car with A/C would kick ***!!! Gives a new meaning for the term "no sweat!"

LOL "no sweat"

Quick Reply: This might be a bad Idea, but.......