Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My analysis of the QMP kit

Old 09-18-2003, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: My analysis of the QMP kit

Poor mechanics don't make good advisors...
Deep enough???
SC-
I think I make a great advisor because as a software engineer, I know how to follow a process, notice "bugs" and document them. I was going to document the entire process but for me I would have come up with a 32 page installation manual.

If you're just trying to make a cut at me because I actually say something about the kit other then "omg I have a QMP turbo and I jack off on it cuz it's so great" then you're obviously showing how immature you are.

I'm just glad Rob Raymer thinks my post is informative since his response is the one that really matters.

-Rob-
Old 09-18-2003, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Simple fact is that Rob needs to be PC, and is VERY restrained in his comments... I'm not constrained by potential sales. I can lay out the truth.

Just because a product is sold to those who can produce the money, does not mean that the ameture in question should be installing said product.

The fact is that many, MANY qualified mechanics, such as Rob, and yes, ME, can, and do, install complicated systems, ie. - turbos... successfully.

Many have tried, and those who have failed (and have since bailed and sold their kit) have demonstrated their sub-par abilities.

Anyone can call me anything they want. The fact is that I appreciate the product, which I purchased, and it is NOT overly technical to install. Nothing the experienced mechanic couldn't handle in 16 hours or less. Any more just indicates poor mechanical skills.

It's hard to understand why the ameture hacks get so much press on an otherwise highly reputed web site.

Face it, there are three members with more time to type than brains to make their vehicles run. They just run down that which they do not understand.

And although I was not directly aiming at the author of this thread, know this: Your engineering title means nothing to me, as I've been engineering automotive production facilities for many, many years. Software is only one small facet of all the responsibilities under my auspices.

End of report.

SC-
Old 09-18-2003, 04:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

SS00Blue.. your personal attacks are out of line.

That being said, no matter how good this write-up appears, I'm still inclined to be skeptical. SS00Blue is CORRECT that people with varying levels of skill produce varying levels of success with a job.

I've built a few motors, trannies and done some work on my and a few cars in my day. I was an Electronics Technician in the Navy (three submarine tours) and now am a Software Developer. I know how to follow manuals/instructions, too. But.. that is NO substitute for mechanical ability and experience.

Even with my background, there are mistakes I made on the installation of my Procharger kit that I would laugh at today after having worked with it for a couple years. I STILL do stuff that I cringe to think about as I learn how foolish it may have been.

As comprehensive and objective sounding as the original post in this thread sounds, I was turned off by it because instead of giving notes to QMP from the website, I believe he should have been CALLING QMP and and giving them notes. He may have found he was doing something wrong. He may have found they cleared up some misconceptions. I found that just by rotating a a part this way or that may make a part fall into place that seemed impossible to make work, before. Tell me what mechanic hasn't experienced that? (Do simple header installs come to mind?)

Then, again, EVERYTHING he says may be completely valid for his experience. It is still subjective to his ability, when you compare it to many others who have installs they have not complained about. Think about it.

It is the intelligent person who takes ALL these posts for what they are worth and does not turn them into gospel.

I, for one, am glad SOME people take the time to R&D performance products for our LS1's in spite of the inappreciative gripes many express with them after they buy.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Launching!

SC-
"omg I have a QMP turbo and I jack off on it cuz it's so great"
I know I do
Old 09-18-2003, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

SS00Blue.. your personal attacks are out of line.
I accept your criticism. I do not go out of my way to single out individuals, unless they get excessive airtime, with no documented credentials or first hand successful knowledge. These are they who run their mouths more than their cars.

I'll back off out of respect for the Administrators, and Moderators of this site, only because they have to allow opinions, even if they originate from inexperience and failure (and we ALL know who they are.)

I am not searching to be hated, only to be heard in a sea of ignorance. I've NEVER met Rob Raymer face to face, but his equipment is first class, and so is his support. I have found his person to be honest, respectable, and trustworthy when one seeks his assistance! That needs to be heard, whether or not I am popular.

The bottom line is that stupid people shouldn't have highly technical equipment. Neither to install, nor to commission.

And there you have it,

SC-

Am I correct in defending a sponsor from stupid, unfounded accusations? I now request an official response from the ownership of this board. This is clearly another example of running down a supporting member of this site, is it not?

I request a hearing before the final judgement on my posts....

I'll expect contact by tomorrow, and it will be published to the membership.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fellas, it's not like I was doing this at home on jackstands without a clue. I've installed several bolt-ons on my car so I do have more mechanical skill then the average guy who thinks he's ASE cuz he can change oil. I say I'm your average joe because I probably do have the Average skill of the Average QMP turbo customer. I also know that when one works on their own car, they tend to take more care and time with it. I've seen ASE mechanics working on cars with the "*** it" attitude and "anything goes to get it done in the alloted hours" mentality, so don't tell me that the amount of time it takes corelates to the amount of skill. That's not always the case. I've seen great mechanics take 3x as long as a job calls for (and thus get fired) I'm sure I could have payed a "qualified" mechanic $2000 to install this kit in half the time but where would I be then? 1) Not knowing if it was done right 2) Without pride in the fact I installed this myself 3) Without the knowledge and character one aquires when cutting up and bolting up their own car.

And like I said, this is MY analysis. Someone else's experience might be completely different. They may have no problems what-so-ever and if that's the case that's great! Needless to say, I think I've HELPed QMP and yes I could have called him on every point, but do you know how many times I would have called? With me, probably 30+ and I'm sure Rob wouldn't be around in his current situation and would probably have not answered after call 20. I spoke with Rob on several occasions and I had several other sources for install support like MM and RiceEtr. You may not like them but they were pretty damn helpful with info. I gotta say blue, you didn't offer anything when I was pleading for answers on turbols1.net. Guess you don't visit that site anymore.

Oh and if you were on a software programming site right now, and you were giving me a run down of the .NET run-time and how you found problems with this and that, I wouldn't jump on your case saying that you're a sub-par programmer. I'd actually try and help you rather than start off posting like an ahole. I think you need to take some time to reflect on the tone of your post and/or deflate your head a bit before something pops.

Thank you, that is all.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SC-
"omg I have a QMP turbo and I jack off on it cuz it's so great"
I know I do
We'll I just won't admit to it. lol.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

TurboLS1.net???

Last time I checked, it was down for the count. And by the way, I contributed a large amount of money and time to that site, with no re-imbursement. If I'd have seen your honest requests for information, you can be sure I would have done everything in my power to help you.

My turbo car runs 10's on a stock motor (a/o 18Sep03). I can only think of one other guy that does that, and he's got twice as many turbos and an LS6 intake to boot.

LISTEN! I'm not trying to show disrespect to you. I'm only trying to get some perspective into this subject. It's the people you THINK know what they're doing, with all the bandwidth, that are screwing everyone else, including a (for the present) sponsor, and slandering me (because I am NOT an aimless leg-boy).

The three are just leg-humping each other. Look at their threads lately. It speaks for itself.

SC-

PS -

"I wouldn't jump on your case saying that you're a sub-par programmer."

I didn't say that! Try to remember that the world doesn't revolve around your feet for five minutes and read the post. It clearly indicts others and NOT you. WOW! You REALLY are in your 20s, just like the three sacks, aren't you??? Grow up...
Old 09-18-2003, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW! You REALLY are in your 20s, just like the three sacks, aren't you??? Grow up...
Ironic how you tell other people to grow up when you are the only one in this thread calling people names. Is that the type of mindset I have to look forward to when I get old and senile like you?
Old 09-18-2003, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, I'm gonna end it here, cuz I'm not going to disrespect this board with anymore posts that are off topic. Lock her up, por favore.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SS00Blue,

I planned on staying out of this post, but what the hell. I’m not going to provide great detail and I’ll keep my opinion to the highlights only.

When did you run these times? In previous post's you have been asked how your car runs and you never responded. I don't doubt you car can run the times but your timing and comments as always are suspect. Lets see some evidence of these fast times.

I know I am one of the people you are referring to, you’re veiled remarks and insults did not go un-noticed. The point of a discussion board such as this is point and counter-point in a healthy and constructive manner, you simply choose to insult people in your egotistical, I am great and you’re not attitude. I have yet to see you offer any help to anybody on any subject relating to these kits and I read this board and your dead board quite often. All I hear from you is smart-*** comments and degrading insults. At least people offered help when you screwed up your gas tank, which is more than I can say for you reciprocating constructively at any time.

In a previous post Rob asked me to call him, I did and guess what, he never called me back as he said he would on this board. I kept calling and finally talked to him but there was no offer of anything constructive or any forth coming help, I wasted a long distance call. All I heard was what his car did and didn’t do. He did try to convince me to sink another $3000 into a Fast system because my car couldn't possibly live with the fuel system it has now. Guess what? My car ran 10’s and make 600 HP on tiny injectors that are maxed out. As to my running hot problem, QMP had zero constructive input into that as well, but it has been fixed and I know exactly what the problem was now. I have also talked about other issues I had with the car, they are all fixed as well. My point is this, having to deal with an attitude like yours simply makes we want to say nothing when asked for help (you’re probably happy about that)

I have a lot to say about this kit and I have spent a great deal of time learning about turbo technology as a whole. There are experts all over the place willing to help if you seek them out. I’m no rocket scientist and never claimed to be one. I am a white collar worker that let’s professionals do the work on the car for me, so ******* what. I have had my car gone over thoroughly by an independant third party and the motor was never the problem, all I can say know is it is fixed and running well. Just because I didn’t turn the wrenches, doesn’t mean I didn’t know what was going on.

Please feel free to jump and start your usual diatribe, and don’t worry I won’t respond again in this post.

Happy leg humping

Paul
Old 09-19-2003, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

In a previous post Rob asked me to call him, I did and guess what, he never called me back as he said he would on this board. I kept calling and finally talked to him but there was no offer of anything constructive or any forth coming help, I wasted a long distance call. All I heard was what his car did and didn’t do. He did try to convince me to sink another $3000 into a Fast system because my car couldn't possibly live with the fuel system it has now. Guess what? My car ran 10’s and make 600 HP on tiny injectors that are maxed out. As to my running hot problem, QMP had zero constructive input into that as well, but it has been fixed and I know exactly what the problem was now. I have also talked about other issues I had with the car, they are all fixed as well. My point is this, having to deal with an attitude like yours simply makes we want to say nothing when asked for help (you’re probably happy about that)
Okay...now I am PISSED! Gloves are off! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT PAUL???? I CALLED YOU BACK! I spent OVER an hour on the phone with you, on MY DIME! I NEVER tried to sell you a FAST system for $3000. WHAT A FRIGGIN' LIE! First of all, a FAST system isn't anywhere near $3000. Secondly, I NEVER even mentioned it! You told me you were using 42lb injectors, I simply said that once you get to 550-600rwhp, they would be maxxed! Figure it out you turbo technology genius! DO THE MATH! A 42lb injector won't support your engine!!!! I was telling you this to try and SAVE YOUR ENGINE you moron! I can't sit back and let the lies slide by any longer.

In fact, what did I actually tell you was wrong with your car?? I specifically told you that your B&B exhaust was KILLING your HP. I specifically told you that in my opinion, you would pick up probably 40-50rwhp just by uncapping it. How much did you gain when you tried it?? Like 40-50rwhp wasn't it?? I even told you, and I quote, "don't spend the money to change the exhaust, just add a $35 exhaust cut-out...same gain". DIDN'T I??? And you don't call that "constructive help"???

Then I see that you went to the track after removing the exhaust and ran your best time ever. Who did you thank on that post?? ARE! Not one mention of the hour plus phone call I spent with you the day before.
And what happened to the "I'll call you tomorrow on a conference call with ARE, thank you SO much for helping me"??? Next time, don't bother thanking me...save your lies for someone else. I'm still waiting for that conference call! And you know why you didn't call me? I'm sure it's because all of the "he said / she said" BS would have been put to rest as soon as we were all on the phone together. Like why ARE won't return my call, or send back the extra turbo manifold and downpipe of ours they have had for almost 6 months now. (or how about a check for $1500 if they're going to keep it?)

Since you now "know exactly what the problem was" with the overheating, why haven't you shared the answer with everyone??? You SWORE it was our turbo kit causing it! I can only assume that you definatively found out that it wasn't, or else you would have jumped at the chance throw it in my face. How close am I? It's ungreatful people like you that make it hard for me to want to help anyone. Fortunately for others, that's against my nature.

So anyway Warbird, congratulations on your 400+ cubic inch stroked ARE, T74 turbo'd, barely a 10 second beast you have on your hands. You managed to impress virtually no one. We have stock cars with T63 turbo's running faster than you.

After what you said about me above, I couldn't give a rat's *** what you think anymore.

Anxiously waiting to hear the findings of your overheating problems....
Old 09-19-2003, 05:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And with that, Rob shall have the last word on this thread... I don't mind telling you guys, your credibility is a bit thin, as far as I'm concerned. I get numerous emails from people who agree. They thank me for shutting down the obvious whimpering and bashing.

It seems to be a certain group that run with each other that get to instigate things, and you tag-team the board taking turns stirring things up... taking advantage of the fact that the board tries not to squelch opinion.

You are wrong for the way you manipulate this board. You do the board a disservice and other LS1'ers that will crave for performance products when you run these vendors out of the LS1 performance products business.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My analysis of the QMP kit