Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo or Not to Turbo.. There beath the question my friends..

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo or Not to Turbo.. There beath the question my friends..

Guys, I have a 2002 LS1 motor. I am tearing the motor down and planning on balancing the stock assembly to much smaller variances and honing the cylinder walls, micropolishing the stock crank. I am replacing the stock rod bolts with ARP hardware and will be running forged flat top pistons -stock everything else internally. I have an LS6 ported oil pump and LS2 timing chain and a set of patriot LS6 ported heads with the larger sized valves with a stock LS6 cam and LS6 Intake. Car will be dyno tuned when complete. I don't have a budget but I am not going whole hog with everything forged; absolute best turbos etc. I basically would like to relatively safely max out my above setup. I can vary compression by milling the heads and I will be running a tighter quench. I would like to keep the compression ratio as high as safely possible for streetability and since I will be running the meth kit.

I have become intrigued by the LS1 truck manifold single turbo setup and have researched it in terms of what I need and what I would need to weld/fabricate. I have a set of the truck manifolds. There are a few stipulations: I will NOT be running race gas (just 93 octane). I will be running methanol injection of some kind. Car is a 240SX LS1 swap that will be driven on the street frequently but not everyday ( have another car). My questions are

1. What turbo's should I be looking at for my fairly mild setup? I realize that the ARP rod bolts and forged pistons will take out the two weakest links in the LS1 but how much wiggle room should I be looking at when shopping for a turbo (power potential of the turbo etc.)? Not going to be pushing the motor past 6100 rpm (unless the turbo would still pull hard past where my cam peaks? otherwise I don't see a reason to). I guess I would want a fat midrange and good top end would be ideal with my setup? thoughts?

2. For those that have done this how much did you spend on everthing relating to making the turbo work? ( injectors, piping, turbo, intercooler, labor ( if you had someone else weld the piping), etc.

3. What are y'all's thoughts on a nonintercooled setup? (since I figure I will be limited in how much boost I can safely run would an intercooler really be worth the extra cost and weight?)

4. What kind of power are people seeing with pump gas?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. for a 240 the plumbing should not be bad in price. Are you shooting for a track car or somthing of a weekend car. You have a good ideal for the set up but I personaly would spring for rods also, The crank would be fine. As for turbo selection I would do somthing around a 70 trim with a .96 ar on the exhaust side or a 76 with the same Ar. Spool would be quick on the 70 but may choke out on top and the 76 will spool later but not choke out. Look for a precsion turbo or a MPT series turbo. Dr turbo or Modular turbo both can help. FYI im no pro but i hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by White_LightningZ
Guys, I have a 2002 LS1 motor. I am tearing the motor down and planning on balancing the stock assembly to much smaller variances and honing the cylinder walls, micropolishing the stock crank. I am replacing the stock rod bolts with ARP hardware and will be running forged flat top pistons -stock everything else internally. I have an LS6 ported oil pump and LS2 timing chain and a set of patriot LS6 ported heads with the larger sized valves with a stock LS6 cam and LS6 Intake. Car will be dyno tuned when complete. I don't have a budget but I am not going whole hog with everything forged; absolute best turbos etc. I basically would like to relatively safely max out my above setup. I can vary compression by milling the heads and I will be running a tighter quench. I would like to keep the compression ratio as high as safely possible for streetability and since I will be running the meth kit.

I have become intrigued by the LS1 truck manifold single turbo setup and have researched it in terms of what I need and what I would need to weld/fabricate. I have a set of the truck manifolds. There are a few stipulations: I will NOT be running race gas (just 93 octane). I will be running methanol injection of some kind. Car is a 240SX LS1 swap that will be driven on the street frequently but not everyday ( have another car). My questions are

1. What turbo's should I be looking at for my fairly mild setup? I realize that the ARP rod bolts and forged pistons will take out the two weakest links in the LS1 but how much wiggle room should I be looking at when shopping for a turbo (power potential of the turbo etc.)? Not going to be pushing the motor past 6100 rpm (unless the turbo would still pull hard past where my cam peaks? otherwise I don't see a reason to). I guess I would want a fat midrange and good top end would be ideal with my setup? thoughts?

2. For those that have done this how much did you spend on everthing relating to making the turbo work? ( injectors, piping, turbo, intercooler, labor ( if you had someone else weld the piping), etc.

3. What are y'all's thoughts on a nonintercooled setup? (since I figure I will be limited in how much boost I can safely run would an intercooler really be worth the extra cost and weight?)

4. What kind of power are people seeing with pump gas?
If you want to squeeze the most amount of boost on 93 octane, lower compression always yields more boost capable (meth or not meth). Meth allows you to safely run a few more lbs of boost. Milling the heads will only increase your compression and decrease the overall amount of boost you can safely run.

1. If it's a front mount turbo I would got with a turbonetics 76 or something of equal flow for the compressor side and on the hot side a .96 AR should work fine. Rear mount kit would require a slightly smaller turbo if you don't plan to rev past 6.1K. A .60 or .67 compressor side such a Garret and a hot side .81 AR would flow great on a stock cubed LS1 and have full boost below 3.5K.

2. Bought my car turbo and previous owner claims to have spent over 7K on all the turbo related stuff (fuel system, gauges, turbo, piping, tune, intercooler, B.O.V., etc.)

3. Definitely go intercooled. without one you wont be able to efficiently boost over 5 lbs on any turbo set up and just create heat. Intercooler is ALWAYS worth having.

4. Depends on how many lbs., whether its a manual or automatic (stalled automatics rob more power but stay in boost when manuals don't) 10.1 here, stalled with mild turbo cam and .67, around 450whp on 5lbs, and with meth and 8 lbs. 500+

A turbo LS1 240 would be a sweet car to drive. Good luck with the build.

Quick Reply: Turbo or Not to Turbo.. There beath the question my friends..