Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

600rwhp on a LQ4 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 600rwhp on a LQ4 6.0L

well im ready to start buying more parts for my LQ4 turbo build...so far here is what i have:

2005 LQ4 6.0
50k miles on it
just put ARP rodbolts on it, along with new main and rod bearings
ARP head studs

im putting patriot dual valve springs on it as well, going with a small turbo cam (mid 220s dur, 114LSA, around .570ish on the lift)

I am looking to put down 600ish rwhp on the factory internals. i dont plan on running it like that daily, but id like to be able to turn it up on the weekends for a little street/track action. I am fairly new to turbo setups, but i understand most of the basics. What size turbo would fit my needs? from my research it looks like a t76 would do just fine, but i would like to hear some other opinions..some of the info i was looking at was a little outdated. This will be run through an m6 with 3.42 gears for now (until the 10bolt lets go haha). Thanks guys
Old 10-29-2008, 02:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should have put forged pistons in it.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Should have put forged pistons in it.
well ill be building a 408 stroker over the summer for next winter (i do landscaping..thats when i make my money lol). i just want to surprise some people with a budget stock internal 6.0 for this summer
Old 10-29-2008, 03:53 AM
9 Second Club

you should be fine with all of that 600rwhp will be easy i make more than that on a stock bottomend LS1 here is the run down
317 heads with duals
04 ls6 cam
ls6 intake
amd i have like 107k on the motor right now and i run 12psi all the time
so no worrys man you are on the right path good luck and have fun
Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Teching In

You will be good...... He, He, He.....
Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New motor later or not........it still blows my mind why people go through all of the trouble of tearing a motor down and rebuilding it with the stock junk.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
New motor later or not........it still blows my mind why people go through all of the trouble of tearing a motor down and rebuilding it with the stock junk.

Well you can do it right once but it comes down to money and cheaping out and all those reasons. And some people maybe like yanking engines and putting them back in. Personally I don't..

We see a few guys that seem to beat the odds running pretty high boost on their stock engines. How I have no idea. I have personally seen two blown to bits stock pistons ,have one in my garage as souvenir ,one was sts car and one was ati car . Both actually lt1 but same pistons as the ls1.

I would at least put in forged pistons and better rod bolts minimum then engine should hang together pretty darn good and not have to worry so much about any little tuning mistake. The factory pistons will shatter if you don't get things pretty close on the tune ,detonate them and kiss your ringlands goodbye and would think that could possibly go thru the turbo or turbos and cause some good damage to them.

Thankfully not worried about that stuff. Thats why I waited an extra year after getting my kit to install it on a fully forged motor. Now can run 10, 12 or more psi and not be so worried. But it wasn't cheap!

Tom you have had good luck your heads lower compression though don't they? Your tune must be golden. Have you compression tested your motor lately. Didn't you have two turbo blowing smoke on the same side. Was it the turbos or was it a piston with broken ringlands?

Quick Reply: 600rwhp on a LQ4 6.0L