Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

440ci Z06, Ebay "PTK" kit; some results, some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AMAZING work there Vadian! congrats mate!

and more proof that these "crappy" ebay kits actually work pretty well!

one question though, what was the piping like? i have heard its SS where as the PTK kits used Mild!!

Chris.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have no boost controller on it?

So really you are running of just the springs correct?

Then you should only see 6at the end of the run because of the loss through the piping and the intercooler (when referencing from the compressor cover). The 8-9 at the beginning is merely a spike from inadequate gates or gate placement. I bet with a boost controller or different springs you could make closer to 850whp with those units before they run outa steam.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_Zach
lol thats awesome. I love seeing results of the ebay kits that are good. **** 700 rwhp for the $$ you paid and with those crap *** turbos is just freakin awesome.

Also, I once bought this $10k kit from a well known turbo kit manuf. and well, the AMAZING BOV's they gave me leaked under boost, so I couldnt build any kind of power and the car made like 600 rwhp and never hit the gates. Put in new bov's and the car made 20 lbs of boost before I **** myself and got my foot outta the throttle. Point is, yay ebay.
No offence to the OP but I think is way stupid when you have a $30k car with a $10k+ motor in it and use $200 turbos that will ,and have been proven to come apart ,ruining all you have .
Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chuntington101
AMAZING work there Vadian! congrats mate!

and more proof that these "crappy" ebay kits actually work pretty well!

one question though, what was the piping like? i have heard its SS where as the PTK kits used Mild!!

Chris.
Thanks man!

Hot pipes are all stainless, cold pipes are all aluminum.

Originally Posted by hellbents10
You have no boost controller on it?

So really you are running of just the springs correct?

Then you should only see 6at the end of the run because of the loss through the piping and the intercooler (when referencing from the compressor cover). The 8-9 at the beginning is merely a spike from inadequate gates or gate placement. I bet with a boost controller or different springs you could make closer to 850whp with those units before they run outa steam.
Yeah, no boost controller on it yet. Running off .5bar springs. I was gonna do that when I upgrade the turbos. We actually tried some .8bar (11.6psi) large red springs. It peaked 7.26psi and tapered off to 5.25psi. Well, one, something is up with the springs or they aren't really .8bar. Two, wouldn't you think that the motor would still creep to 8-9psi with less spring pressure?

I know with another turbo car I've dealt with, it would always creep to 17psi regardless of what spring was in the wastegate.

I'd like to test your theory on the boost controller. You think a quick jig with a manual boost controller would produce a similar result with a electronic boost controller? That or I'll pick up some 1bar springs.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

im surprized no one asked about the a/r ratio on those turbos, maybe that peice of information will tell so much in addition to the compressor wheel diameter.

as far as I know the APS GT35R are custom spec turbos with a larger turbine housing not available if you look on Garrets website, 1.06 a/r FYI

Last edited by ayousef; 11-11-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CamaroSS19
No offence to the OP but I think is way stupid when you have a $30k car with a $10k+ motor in it and use $200 turbos that will ,and have been proven to come apart ,ruining all you have .
And no offence to you, but I would love to see a thread where someone has these turbos and it has blown apart on them. And I have searched. All I have come up with is a bunch of bandwagooneers that say they are nothing but paperweights, doorstops, yada yada, because some other shop claimed they were junk since they weren't the turbo's he/she is selling for twice as much.

But really, I would like to read on someone else's experience. I'm replacing them anyway but I just wanted to make a point.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vadian
And no offence to you, but I would love to see a thread where someone has these turbos and it has blown apart on them. And I have searched. All I have come up with is a bunch of bandwagooneers that say they are nothing but paperweights, doorstops, yada yada, because some other shop claimed they were junk since they weren't the turbo's he/she is selling for twice as much.

But really, I would like to read on someone else's experience. I'm replacing them anyway but I just wanted to make a point.
I agree.

It's good no one locked this thread.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef
im surprized no one asked about the a/r ratio on those turbos, maybe that peice of information will tell so much in addition to the compressor wheel diameter.

as far as I know the APS GT35R are custom spec turbos with a larger turbine housing not available if you look on Garrets website, 1.06 a/r FYI
Agreed, a small a/r and restrictive wheel could choke off that displacement early regardless of the compressor wheel.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

No doubt.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Agreed, a small a/r and restrictive wheel could choke off that displacement early regardless of the compressor wheel.
Jim taught me that stuff
Old 11-11-2008, 05:16 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I think making that much power is great for a budget turbo setup. Kudos for that. There is something not quite operating properly as you can see. Hellbents10 is correct on loosing boost through the intercooler and piping. That's exactly what is happening. I bet if you really cranked it up you could make a lot more power.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I think making that much power is great for a budget turbo setup. Kudos for that. There is something not quite operating properly as you can see. Hellbents10 is correct on loosing boost through the intercooler and piping. That's exactly what is happening. I bet if you really cranked it up you could make a lot more power.
So as it sits now, the more air the turbo is moving the more of a pressure loss I am losing through the intercooler and piping. The compressor is still seeing 8-9 psi and my intake manifold pressure is gradually decreasing as more air is forced through. Is this what is happening?

So, in theory, I should be able to reference the wastegates from the intake manifold and it should maintain pressure throughout the pull unless they can't bypass enough exhaust energy.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 PM
AVB
Launching!

Nice... It takes work to get these kits together and working. Excellent job!

What if you take a reading of the exhaust backpressure?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So as it sits now, the more air the turbo is moving the more of a pressure loss I am losing through the intercooler and piping. The compressor is still seeing 8-9 psi and my intake manifold pressure is gradually decreasing as more air is forced through. Is this what is happening?

So, in theory, I should be able to reference the wastegates from the intake manifold and it should maintain pressure throughout the pull unless they can't bypass enough exhaust energy.
Exactly

Your turbo may be producing 10 pounds, but is losing some psi because of the intercooler. So to get the PSI you want in the end, you connect it to the intake manifold.

You will see whatever your spring is set at if you reference it off the intake manifold.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well anyway good luck . didnt mean to **** you off . Id just hate to see a nice piece go bad
Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice to know.....
Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AVB
Nice... It takes work to get these kits together and working. Excellent job!

What if you take a reading of the exhaust backpressure?
Yeah, it took quite a bit of work. I know I've asked for your help a time or two so, thanks for that!

I'll have to talk to Eric and see what he has to read backpressure.

BTW, you're selling your PTK kit?

Originally Posted by Monello
Exactly

Your turbo may be producing 10 pounds, but is losing some psi because of the intercooler. So to get the PSI you want in the end, you connect it to the intake manifold.

You will see whatever your spring is set at if you reference it off the intake manifold.
Interesting. Just never occurred to me until I sat and thought about it, but makes perfect sense.

Switching that over will be first on the agenda Saturday. I bet it makes quite a bit more power.

So what good use is that port on the compressor? You don't want to reference your fuel regulator or even your MAP since its not actual pressure in the manifold.

Originally Posted by CamaroSS19
Well anyway good luck . didnt mean to **** you off . Id just hate to see a nice piece go bad
Nothing negative, just a friendly debate. Just like the next guy, I don't like the spread of bad information. I have not read about anyone's actual experience with these turbos but I have read a plethora of posts saying they were junk. Not one of these persons could tell me why. Eventually, I'll make a thread reviewing them and if they prove to be decent over some time, then that will be another choice in turbos for the next hobbyist. If they junk on me, then well I hope it doesn't take out the motor and I can make a post solidifying the claims.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by navymitch12
i dont know why but for some reason i thought you had an f-body..good power numbers but something is lacking for sure. I have a c5r 427 with 64's and the PTK version of the PTK kit.

The belt can be changed from the bottom, and plugs can be changed in 45-60min. And it looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey navymitch,

Looks awesome!

Where'd ya get those sleeves around your downpipe (just below the master cylinder)?

How do you like those 64s? How much boost are you running and what are you making if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking of trying out some 67s, either the PT6776 or the Garrett T04R.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why haven't you invested in an eboost2?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 AM
no title here

That set up looks nice

Quick Reply: 440ci Z06, Ebay "PTK" kit; some results, some questions.