Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to Mount an Intercooler

Old 11-11-2008, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to Mount an Intercooler

Well I've seen a lot of people ask for this on the forum, myself included. I've never done a write up before so heres my attempt

Tools Needed:
Grinder/ Sawzall
Blades for either
Safety goggles
Sharpie or marker
Drill and sharp metal drill bit (size according to mounting tab)

1. Find the center of your bumper support
2. Measure the distance from one side to the other of the intercooler
3. Take a marker and mark each end on the bumper support
3. Now measure the centers of the mounting points on the intercooler itself
4. Transfer measurement to bumper support
5. Now draw a line from the top of the bumper support, to the bottom outlining the ends of what will be the area the intercooler sits

I used a grinder to cut the support, guess you could use a sawzall if you'd prefer but it would be tough getting the cuts you need. Be ready to have plenty of blades handy

6. Cut down the lines from the top of the support to the bottom along the line you made for the ends of the intercooler
7. Go around cutting the back, but be sure not to cut off the mounting points where the support mounts to the frame of the car
8. Now cut along the top of the support across to make the support kind of look like a sad face (when you see the pic youll understand what I mean
9. Now, measure from the center of the first moun tab of the intercooler to the other
10. Divide that by two, and from the center of the support, go equidistant from the center, and make a line from the front to the back
11. Find the center now of one side (PAY ATTENTION CAUSE I SCREWED THIS UP LOL)
12. Drill the side you found the center of
13. Mount the intercooler loosely, and approximate the spot where you have to drill,because it wont exactly be center since the support itself is curved
14. Now mount your intercooler, get a soda, and start planning for your IC pipe!!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Mount an Intercooler