Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

mocal scavenger pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by headed-ws6
How quiet is the hi flo and where might I find it?
Well, to me it's loud but only running with the fuel pump relay for a few seconds turning the key in the ignition to accessory. When I start the car it turns on but I don't hear it anymore over the exhaust (3inch dp to a LM catback)... I guess it's not that bad.

lol, Revxtreme of Tampa found it for me after I asked for their help after not being able to buy one from STS... STS said I had to buy their whole kit to get their pump. lol... Now I hear their pumps are hit or miss.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one those, but think this one would be better .http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm Will sell my old Mocal pump for $100 but top is cracked from dropping it.Still works but has a drip

Last edited by adam120674; 11-19-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Those pumps are ok but they're fundamentally flawed. They're diaphragm pumps which means they have to flex up and down every cycle to pump oil. I've had one and they're are much better and quieter options. Here is a link to a much better pump for $20 more. It's a gear pump.

http://www.enginegearonline.com/15gpmgepu12.html
Old 11-20-2008, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver_TransAm
Oh man... I might need one. My stupid sts pump just went minutes ago. Luckily I caught a glimpse of all the smoke at a stop and pulled over. Get out and there is oil all over the back of my car. Good thing I was about a 1/4 mile from my place and just happened to have a couple of quarts of oil in the car. And yes I checked the fuse first. This damn kit has really pushed my buttons the last few days.
Per other advice, check the relays before deciding the pump itself failed. The 2x relays from STS are placed in a stupid location (the front strut depression on the driver side of the car). Water will seep into this area when the car is wet and this frys the relays. The relays can be found at local chain autoparts stores for about $5 each. I had 3x relays fail on me over 2.5 years, 2 of which were due to water getting on the relays.

To fix the above problem you can extend the stock relay wiring and place them with the fuse panel. Worked well for me. A better fix is listed below:

If you decide to run a Mocal pump and have a vented catchcan (thus eliminating the STS PVC shutoff valve), you can remove the entire STS wiring harness, relays and all. Hook the Mocal pump to the fuel pump wiring just forward of the driver side rear tire and connect the negative to a good ground. You can run the stock STS buzzer or wire in an idiot light that will illuminate when the pump is receiving voltage (ie operating). I did the latter, though either will work well.

As for the Mocal pump, it's loud. Period. It also flows a lot of oil. Dynomat + isolators will reduce chassis vibration from the pump. With the STS I honestly could not hear the pump except at idle, as the exhaust was loud on my car too.

Good luck
Old 11-20-2008, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

I put a couple of square ft of dynomat over the top of where the pump mounts, it didn't really lower the db level but it did get rid of some of the rattling from the floor pan.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by headed-ws6
which one do you have for sale?
Mocal pump. used for like maybe an hour on my car before i changed setups.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:57 PM
mcx
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by matt_paco2010
Those pumps are ok but they're fundamentally flawed. They're diaphragm pumps which means they have to flex up and down every cycle to pump oil. I've had one and they're are much better and quieter options. Here is a link to a much better pump for $20 more. It's a gear pump.

http://www.enginegearonline.com/15gpmgepu12.html
anyone know if the 1.5GPM unit would be capable for a rear mount set up??
Old 11-20-2008, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

That is the same one that I had on my rearmount, but WARNING!!! They are not waterproof! You will need to use some RTV to seal the top along where the spade connectors go. Mine still works but I emptied about 3 ounces of rust and water from it at the beginning of the year. Dried it out and cleaned it and it still ran fine!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 PM
mcx
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 3800SII
That is the same one that I had on my rearmount, but WARNING!!! They are not waterproof! You will need to use some RTV to seal the top along where the spade connectors go. Mine still works but I emptied about 3 ounces of rust and water from it at the beginning of the year. Dried it out and cleaned it and it still ran fine!
..can you hear/feel the vibration of this unit???

Quick Reply: mocal scavenger pump