Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

oil pressure and a turbo....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008 | 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trans2000am
i had the same issue back when i had my sts kit never did find out why i was thinking that the oil pump for the turbo was sucking to much oil and not putting it back fast enough and with the high volume pump it was sucking the pan dry also.
had the same problem i put a restrictor inline for the turbo and it works fine now have like 25psi HOT engine idle in drive
Old 11-26-2008 | 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Well I guess the guy I bought the car from and who put the turbo on wired the system up so that in a low oil pressure situation the fuel pump will shut off.

Anyway as for an update. I pulled the front cover off and the oil restrictor plug just behind the timing chain cover is fine. The plunger style plug in the rear is also fine. The o-ring for the oil pump pick up tube is ok, and I installed the oil restrictor in the oil line to the turbo. I did all of this and the problem is still the same. I start the car cold and Ive got great oil pressure, but as soon as the car warms completely up the pressure drops off to about 10 lbs and the check guages light comes on for a split second when I come to a stop, or sitting at idle.

So, you guys got anymore ideas... Please....
Old 11-26-2008 | 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

You could change the oil and check it for metal, also cut open the oil filter and check there. As stated before I would plug the feed line and make sure there is not a large pressure drop there.
Old 11-26-2008 | 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm if that plug is in there and the barbell really only makes the oil go thru the filter and the oring is in there..It could be the wrong oring there are two I think some pumps come with two different ones . You don't want to hear that of course now that its back together and how the heck can you check that back barbell with the engine in the car?

Maybe a failing oil pump..some of the early 98 and 99 ones would lose pressure and wipe out engines but not even sure how they could fail they seem pretty simple things.
But they did.

Now I think you need to take the turbo out of the equation. so block it off or whatever to check the pressure without it . course you dont want to run the turbo long at all with no oil. Not sure how long would be safe. Also is there a problem with the scavenger pump..Or could it possibly be oil pressure sender or guage but you did say it stalls out.

Spun bearings can cause bad oil pressure but you should be able to hear a loud knocking if you have spun bearings.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-26-2008 | 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6

Spun bearings can cause bad oil pressure but you should be able to hear a loud knocking if you have spun bearings.
Not always.
Old 11-27-2008 | 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

what grade oil are you runnin ?
Old 11-27-2008 | 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

--Im running 5w30 motor oil. I run that in my Vette as well and the oil pressure in it NEVER gets below 45psi.

--As for blocking the turbo oil feed line, I did just install the restrictor in the oil feed line Yesterday which greatly reduced the oil going to the turbo, and that didn't change the motor oil pressure what so ever.

--As for the oil pump taking a dump, it's a brand new pump from Texas Speed. I do know that even new parts can fail, I just didnt think aboout it with this one. I guess it could be a possibility.

--As for the o-ring on the oil pickup tube, I used the black one, and it seemed to go in with no issues. I guess I could change to the green o-ring and see what it does.

--Yeah and please dont mention a spun bearing, thats the reason I built this new motor cause the oil pressure in the last motor went to crap and I ended up with a spun bearing. This is a brand new 6 Liter iron block, with all new everything. The only part I re used was the cam.........This new motor has less the a couple hundred miles on it..
Old 11-27-2008 | 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

The o rings are not interchangeable. there is thick and thin according to what neck the pickup tube has. The wrong one would cause problems pretty sure also.

Man you must be sick of taking things apart to check them. Still you pretty much need to not run the turbo for now take it off or whatever and run the motor by itself and see whats going on .If your pressure stays low then you will spin a bearing again or worse.
Old 11-28-2008 | 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

What weight oil are you boosted guys running.

Quick Reply: oil pressure and a turbo....