Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

oil pressure and a turbo....

Old 11-20-2008, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default oil pressure and a turbo....

Im running an 02 WS6 with a built iron block 6liter (its a new motor with no more then 150 miles on it.), and an STS turbo with meth. My question is oil pressure. I have a high volume oil pump for the motor, but the oil pressure when warm drops down to about 10 lbs, and when driving if I stop and don't keep the rpms up by giving it gas the oil pressure drops low enough to stall the car. Any ideas guys. Please and thank you..

Last edited by charlie c5; 11-20-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same issue back when i had my sts kit never did find out why i was thinking that the oil pump for the turbo was sucking to much oil and not putting it back fast enough and with the high volume pump it was sucking the pan dry also.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans2000am
i had the same issue back when i had my sts kit never did find out why i was thinking that the oil pump for the turbo was sucking to much oil and not putting it back fast enough and with the high volume pump it was sucking the pan dry also.

did you have the oil restrictor in the oil feed line to the turbo. because I dont and Im wondering if I was to install one if the pressure in the motor would come up a bit.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The turbo should not cause pressure to be that low. I would unbolt the turbo or keep it from spinning and plug the feed line, also take power away from the return pump. If your pressure is not back up to par I think you have an engine problem. I have had a completely torn up turbo and it dropped pressure on the guage by about 20 psi.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

how is the o ring where the pickup bolts to the oil pump.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

There is no way that pump will clear out your pan. Also if you have a bad turbo it wont cause low oil pressure. Maybe a low oil light but u will know because the oil will dump out the turbo. What kind of oil do u use and have u tried a manual guage. I never heard of oil pressure stalling a car befor it over heats and knocks. But I would double check the oil pump oil ring and look at the condition of the oil.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would look to your motor..
Some things that can mess up..the oring in the oil pump is critical.missing it or the wrong one can really do a number on your oil pressure!
Secondly there is a little push in oil galley plug in the front of motor that is critical and its under the timing cover. Also critical. Oil pumps generally come with two springs..the aftermarket ones anyway a high and low pressure but even low pressure should be fine. Buddy has sts and runs it on stock engine with stock pump.

That oring is most likely the mistake but have seen people leave that push in plug out.

There is barbell plug on back of block but that one just is there to send oil thru the filter. If you forget that one you get unfiltered oil.

I would figure this out right quick or you will likely lose your new engine! The oring is doable with engine installed just a pain in the butt. Its likely your reason or it may be in crooked or something.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:55 AM
9 Second Club

this does not sound good
dont even turn on the car until you find what is wrong
Old 11-21-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah hit can take out your turbo and your engine pretty quick with too low oil pressure.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Also if you have a bad turbo it wont cause low oil pressure.
I dont think it is the case with this guys car, but if the turbo is badly damaged it can show a considerable drop in pressure.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I never heard of oil pressure stalling a car befor it over heats and knocks.
I would guess the computer is shutting the car down when it sees low oil pressure.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

--Well, the STS has a fuel shutoff in case the oil pressure drops off to low. Thats the reason the car is stalling, the oil pressure drops off to low and the fuel pump shuts off and stalls the car.

--I did double check the plunger in the rear of the motor. And I did double check the restrictor plug in the front behind the timing chain cover. But under boost and with the 60 plus lbs oil pressure I had when we first started the car that the plug may have pushed out enough to kill the pressure.

--The spring is in the pump and the pump is NEW.

--I need to recheck all of the above.... You guys are great, I trully appreciate all of the help...
Old 11-21-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

You had oil pressure originally so yeah that says something and the back barbell plug only makes the oil go thru the filter don't think it kills oil pressure. That front plug could come out. Some guys jb weld it but my mechanic who is very smart guy put rtv in the plug hole so the cover presses against the rtv so should be no way it can push out. He didn't think the jb would stick that great.

Good on the safety to stall the car that should prevent any possibly damage. Be sure to let us know what you find.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
I dont think it is the case with this guys car, but if the turbo is badly damaged it can show a considerable drop in pressure.
I cant see how unless the turbo is causing blockage or somthing. If the turbo stops spinning the oil will just puddle and come out the exhaust side or ride up the intake.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1989k1500
I would guess the computer is shutting the car down when it sees low oil pressure.
Not in a Fbody I wish LOL! Maby a vette or ctsv.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by charlie c5
--Well, the STS has a fuel shutoff in case the oil pressure drops off to low. Thats the reason the car is stalling, the oil pressure drops off to low and the fuel pump shuts off and stalls the car.

--I did double check the plunger in the rear of the motor. And I did double check the restrictor plug in the front behind the timing chain cover. But under boost and with the 60 plus lbs oil pressure I had when we first started the car that the plug may have pushed out enough to kill the pressure.

--I need to recheck all of the above.... You guys are great, I trully appreciate all of the help...
Is that a new feature on the sts wire harness? I allways thought the fuel wire off the pcm will give a signal to the scavage pump for the turbo to turn on to prime when the key is forward,and a buzzer warning when the pump has quit.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

I cant see how unless the turbo is causing blockage or somthing. If the turbo stops spinning the oil will just puddle and come out the exhaust side or ride up the intake.
When the bearings go bad in an engine you see a drop in pressure. Its no different with a turbo. The same volume of oil has less clearance, lowering pressure.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
When the bearings go bad in an engine you see a drop in pressure. Its no different with a turbo. The same volume of oil has less clearance, lowering pressure.
Oh Ok I see now
Old 11-23-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by charlie c5

There is no fuel cut off in the STS harness.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

STS doesn't use a cutoff. They use a piezo speaker when oil-press. drops. If the scavenge pump stops, it will smoke oil out of the tail-pipes like a chimney.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pressure and a turbo....