Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Results of the LT4 78mm turbo 20psi :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dr. Turbo!

If you have a spare moment take a look at the graph. the dip in the curve even trying several things only seemed to move a little bit. it got better with more timing but the end result is what you see there.

In my opinion I am reaching a point where the wastegate is being forced open. boost drops off there as well but then comes back up following the graph. My guess is after the gate gets pushed open and boost drops, exhaust pressure drops and the gate closes again and the turbo begins making more boost thus the boost curve and the power curve come back up.

the drop in boost is 18psi at the low point down from 20psi the set point. I am looking into the Eboost2 and hoping it will give me enough top port pressure programability on the gate to get through to redline on a straight boost setting! and extend my power band across that dip or even maybe give me another 100-200 RPM of useable power.

what is your take on that?

Chris
Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM
8 Second Club

Let me know if you want to borrow the 160's until you get yours. I am still waiting on the alternator.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow, great job. I have a very very similar set up going in my 96 impalla SS now that I have replaced it with a 5.3 awd van for the family. I already have everything and was hoping I could run 12.0's at around 120, but with results like that it ll be easy.

Thanks for the kick in the pants to get busty.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats awesome, great numbers!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by veee8
Let me know if you want to borrow the 160's until you get yours. I am still waiting on the alternator.
Man if you don't mind I will take you up on that offer just for an evening to tune them in on the street and then for the subsequent days dyno session. the Eboost2 is on the way as of today as is the new MSD box, so with some luck maybe this weekend I will be able to strap it down again. this time I am going to run an open downpipe and try it with the filter off and try and add 2,3,4,5 pounds more boost.. I want to see what I can push this combination to powerwise.. gotta put the LTx motors on the scoreboard..lol

Chris
Old 12-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1320
wow, great job. I have a very very similar set up going in my 96 impalla SS now that I have replaced it with a 5.3 awd van for the family. I already have everything and was hoping I could run 12.0's at around 120, but with results like that it ll be easy.

Thanks for the kick in the pants to get busty.

No problem man!!! I had a metallic green 95 and LOVED that car always wish we had kept it because it would have made one hell of a sleeper with a set of turbos on it and a built motor.. you will enjoy the sleeper effect it has for sure!!!

Chris
Old 12-01-2008, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

i love it congrats and hope to see more of it soon
Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Sultan,

Thank a bunch! I hope to have some better numbers up very shortly and then I will try with some more turbo to get her on up to the 4 digit mark! then it will finally be time to put an automatic in it and some suspension and get her to the track.. if you can get these C4 corvettes to hook, they do well because of the weight and small frontal area!

Chris
Old 12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lcvette
Man if you don't mind I will take you up on that offer just for an evening to tune them in on the street and then for the subsequent days dyno session. the Eboost2 is on the way as of today as is the new MSD box, so with some luck maybe this weekend I will be able to strap it down again. this time I am going to run an open downpipe and try it with the filter off and try and add 2,3,4,5 pounds more boost.. I want to see what I can push this combination to powerwise.. gotta put the LTx motors on the scoreboard..lol

Chris
what msd box , or ignition you running?
the eboost 2 shuts down , turns off, plays up if there it too much "noise"
use the msd noise filter to help the eboost

ash
Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Crashly, good to know! I run dfi Gen 7 so I have the dual synch distributor in the back have gotten rid of the factory coil and ignition control module and use the MSD 6a to fire the coil and add some juice to fire off the mixture at higher boost levels. any more info on what filter to use? or is it pretty easy to find?

My stock tach is driven off the MSD and you can see it in the videos it is all over the place bouncing around.. drives me nuts!

Chris
Old 12-01-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeeh mate,
here is the link to noise filter.

http://www.msdignition.com/product.a...d+noise+filter

your tach,
where is it getting the signal?
coil or msd ?

ash
Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John Wigger is cool, he can build a DSM Are you on NABR? Im an old DSMer at heart, nice placement of the turbo, got any build pics?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:02 AM
8 Second Club

Yeah the filter might be a good idea. They caution a few times in the instructions on the EMI having an effect on the eboost2.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lcvette
Crashly, good to know! I run dfi Gen 7 so I have the dual synch distributor in the back have gotten rid of the factory coil and ignition control module and use the MSD 6a to fire the coil and add some juice to fire off the mixture at higher boost levels. any more info on what filter to use? or is it pretty easy to find?

My stock tach is driven off the MSD and you can see it in the videos it is all over the place bouncing around.. drives me nuts!

Chris

How do you like the Dual Sync?? I have one for my Lt1 build, but have heard conflicting reports on it when searching for big power. Some have said its better to use a crank trigger rather than the dual sync for timing referance.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Launching!

your tach,
where is it getting the signal?
coil or msd ?
Ash,

currently I get it from the MSD 6a but wonder if the DFI might be able to supply the signal in a better form then the MSD box... have to look into it.

John Wigger is cool, he can build a DSM Are you on NABR? Im an old DSMer at heart, nice placement of the turbo, got any build pics?
Louis,

Yeah Joh is a great guy, he and I spent countless hours putting that DSM together the result was a VERY nice setup, one of the nicest I have seen or heard about. But I think his project will be very similar,, he got inspired to put some TLC into it after my project was done. I look forward to heloping him get it back on the track!

How do you like the Dual Sync?? I have one for my Lt1 build, but have heard conflicting reports on it when searching for big power. Some have said its better to use a crank trigger rather than the dual sync for timing referance.
I like the dual synch just fine, it seems to be giving great resolution, it fires every time without issue, it was easy to install.. I am sure a crank trigger and coil per cylinder would be a little fancier but this was nice compact, easy to setup and required very little to adapt to the back of the intake manifold! I like it and have no complaints!

Chris
Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

eh.... that's cool and all, but you'd be way cooler if you did it with an opti still in place.

j/k man, major props for a T4.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

great numbers... A+ #1

we have seen many eboost controllers do that on the dyno...does it dip like that on the spring?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Launching!

eh.... that's cool and all, but you'd be way cooler if you did it with an opti still in place.
Opti is a great unit but I was after full sequential fuel injection which only the Dual Synch offers for the LT1's when using their stand alone.. oh well.. I don't miss plug wire changes or carboned cap and rotors!!!!

great numbers... A+ #1

we have seen many eboost controllers do that on the dyno...does it dip like that on the spring?
Thanks for the props! this was on a tial big blue and little blue, no boost controller.. I think I am just pushing too much air through the turbine housing and creating back pressure that is opening the wastegate briefly causing my boost pressure drop and the dip in the curve! I am hoping the Eboost can at least cure this dip at the current boost level.. and if I am really lucky maybe get another lb or two of boost for the final run on this combination.

Chris
Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been around some really high backpressure and never heard of that. Would be interested to hear if you can find that is the cause.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the springs set for for minimum ? I know you can't go too far up on the springs maybe double not sure so sometimes you need to go up on minimum to hit higher boost.
On my 97 talon had like 10 or something and could only go to 20psi. then put in 20psi minimum so could go to 30psi or something like that.

You can try a quick test carefully by disconnecting the gate vacuum lines so the gates don't open. And seeing what max boost will go to.I said carefully! and just as a test.

Quick Reply: Results of the LT4 78mm turbo 20psi :)