Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech Aftercooler - Using a Fuel Cell as a Coolant Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Aftercooler - Using a Fuel Cell as a Coolant Tank?

Was talking a member on LS1.com about using a larger water tank than what comes with the basic Vortech V9 G-Trim & Aftercooler. As a result I had the idea of using a Fuel Cell that would be located inside the car in the back hatch or sparetire well. Since it's plumbed for Fuel is there any reason it wouldn't make a great Water Tank? Perhaps the tapped fuel lines are a bit too small to handle the volume you'd want but than again maybe their not? I would assume a larger pump would be required to move the water not to mention longer hoses to reach the cell which might even add a bit to the cooling effect.

Someone mentioned the pump on the Ford Lightning would be an improvement over the Vortech water pump. I don't have the specs on how much water it can move but is this idea worth considering or do you guys feel the benefits wouldn't outweigh the gain? Just think how much cooler the water tank would be out of the sunlight, in a metal container and for the most part in your Airconditioned Car Chillin!.. Pop the hatch and you have easy access to add Ice! and the Weight relocated from the front to the rear.

Old 09-25-2003, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Vortech Aftercooler - Using a Fuel Cell as a Coolant Tank?

i'm using a modified 4 gallon fuel cell as my water cell.

i took out the -8an outlet and drilled out the hole and installed a -12an outlet. I left the -6an on the top as a vent and installed another -12an as a the return fitting. The other -8an outlet i use as the drain.

Old 09-25-2003, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's awesome!. Did you replace your water pump? If so what did you go with and if NOT.. How's the flow? I assume your using the fuel cell in the back of the car or did you relocate your battery?

sending the Water back and forth that far and with such a big tank I'd imagine it would be a marked improvement in cooling than the existing setup.

Old 09-26-2003, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have a custom setup for my turbo motor, it isn't running yet but i can explain my setup to you and you can get an idea:

-4 gallon cell in spare tire well
-had to remove the metal strip that the spare tire attaches to to gain the room
-i'm running a shurflo pump, dont remember the model

if you want to know anything else, just ask
Old 09-26-2003, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks!.. Found some info on the Shurflow. It's basically an RV/Marine DC Powered Pump that will move 2.8 Gallons per Minute. 7Amps - 12volts DC.

Now all I need is the Hoses, Pump & Cell. haha. I love it when a plan comes together!.

Old 09-26-2003, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed that on mine i have to add watter like every two weeks . Is this normal. I dont have any leaks that i can find. The vortech pump is shity. It does not flow very well.

How many of you use ice in your set up.??

Quick Reply: Vortech Aftercooler - Using a Fuel Cell as a Coolant Tank?