Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lets Build a MONSTER TRUCK engine....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bad lad
man i'm sorry but a turbo in a monster truck is not ganna be ideal. you need instant throttle response to be a able to control and drive the truck. u need somethin with a blower on it...either a big whipple or a big f-2 or f-3 procharger. i would recommend an f-3 this way u have room to grow up in hp if need to. also u won't be spinnin the blower as hard this should help with durability and help it last longer. these blowers set ups with also give you monster torque numbers at lower rpms in the ranges that u need the torque with the truck. with a turbo u will be down 2-400 ft lbs in the lower rpms ranges. sorry but that a lot of power to leave on the table. i agree with using the big stuff 3 system though. you may have to use a 16 injector set up if u want the easability of a street car. will take some time to tune up but once tune up is done its done. also using this syetm u won't have to even think about makin changes for elevation and so forth it should do it for u.

With meth as the primary fuel and engine size of 400 to 427 in a lsx block If the turbo is just big enough to reach max hp wanted. I think it should spool pretty good. plus the weight of the truck will help with spooling its even faster. more load = faster and higher spool
Old 12-26-2008, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man i'm sorry but a turbo in a monster truck is not ganna be ideal. you need instant throttle response to be a able to control and drive the truck. u need somethin with a blower on it...either a big whipple or a big f-2 or f-3 procharger. i would recommend an f-3 this way u have room to grow up in hp if need to. also u won't be spinnin the blower as hard this should help with durability and help it last longer. these blowers set ups with also give you monster torque numbers at lower rpms in the ranges that u need the torque with the truck. with a turbo u will be down 2-400 ft lbs in the lower rpms ranges. sorry but that a lot of power to leave on the table. i agree with using the big stuff 3 system though. you may have to use a 16 injector set up if u want the easability of a street car. will take some time to tune up but once tune up is done its done. also using this syetm u won't have to even think about makin changes for elevation and so forth it should do it for u.
I completely agree, I don't see a turbo working for this application, a centrifugal maybe if you want to be different and wouldn't you have to stall it really high? Those trucks have to rip the tires instantly from idle. They idle up to the obstacle and then snap it and jump in the air, no time at all to wait for a turbo.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

or you can get an antilag system. it works by dumping lots of fuel in the engine to keep the turbo spooled. it's allot more complicated then that but it is the basic idea.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Or you can run the engine in it's rev range, keeping the chargers on the map...

RPM and mileage are not an issue here, I think we can assume this thing will be wound up at all times. Turbo's are very responsive when sized appropriately, in their rev range, and on Methanol.

Good luck to you, I love the idea!
Old 12-26-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not run a 3.3L whipple instead of the turbos? Much more efficient then a roots, and instant throttle response.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Yeah, A properly designed turbo system should give all the response I need...

Alcohol turbo cars are a whole new ballgame, especially with a proper turbo... when my GN is in it's power band the response is instant. Im not a big fan of centrifugal blowers... I would do a big twin screw before a centrifugal blower.

A properly selected turbo or set of turbo's can deliver what ever kind of performance you want... It's just a matter of picking a performance goal and designing a setup that meets those goals. The engine I build will be in the 700s Hp and Tq wise N/A anyways...

75% of what you see a monster truck doing is momentum based bye the way...

So what do you guys think about blocks and heads... I figure I should shoot for 6 bolt heads/LSX Block? Would a properly modified production block work?? I figure with those kinda cyl pressures pushing water would be a real issue with the LS based production blocks... Dont shoot me but what about the LS7 block?? I really would like an aluminum setup because CG and weight are an issue.

What are the potential of the LS7/L92 heads??

I like the idea of using as many production parts as possible... it just makes it funnier to me.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to stay aluminum, your best bet would be a ERL prepped Ls2 block. Will still have the 6 bolt heads, so you should be able to avoid pushing water @ those levels. I Dont know how big in cubes you can go with the ls2 though, and a 700 motor hp ls2 might be hard to do.

Chris
Old 12-27-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instant spool can be accomplished with turbo's, but most on this board go big to get max power. The stock WRX STi's respond extremely quick because they didn't overkill the turbo sizing. Twin T88's, GT4780's, or 98+ mm single is way overkill and will be very laggy for this ap.

A pair of GT4088R's (63.5 mm inducers) would spool very quickly and support up to 1400 hp.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Hopefully the lag will be minimal....

Blower torque seems to be a must with slap wheelies and bump jumps.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

whats the problem with fabbing the superchargers currently used to fit an ls engine?
Old 12-27-2008, 12:53 PM
FormerVendor

You will want a 6 bolt, the L92 heads are junk when it comes to deck thicknesses. Reliable means not pushing water, not pushing water at 1200/1200 means a 6 bolt.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Blocks needed are the LSX iron weights a little more. If your really wanting alum then worlds Warhawk / erl block/. I prefer the warhawk cause it oils the mains first like the lsx block.

If you got the money for heads run the all pros
Old 12-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Well after doin some more looking today Im thinking a 402 ERL Ls2 shortblock prepped by ERL would suit me fine. Thinking trickflow 235 6 bolt heads as well.

More than likely just going to talk to ERL and see what they have to say... There is actually a vette running on pump gas and 93 octane that is in testing that is shooting for roughly the same goals as me, but using an LSX iron block. If he can do it with just Meth Injection It should be easy for me then on pure meth... just gotta make sure it has enough fuel and I should be good!

Here is the link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-v...ce-racing.html

Not sure I want to use the TTi stuff, but it's a good build to give me an idea of what I will need! I like those manifolds, but Im thinking Im going to put the turbos on top and up front.

Oh BTW I will run a funny built Glide for this, the turbo 400s dont last too long with all the weight. Not to mention the Glide will give me a hell of a lot more options for engine placement.

Thanks for all the info so far everyone, this thread has given me plenty of leads to check out. Im getting as much info together as possible to check out before I head out for 16 weeks on the road!
Old 12-29-2008, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
Instant spool can be accomplished with turbo's, but most on this board go big to get max power. The stock WRX STi's respond extremely quick because they didn't overkill the turbo sizing. Twin T88's, GT4780's, or 98+ mm single is way overkill and will be very laggy for this ap.

A pair of GT4088R's (63.5 mm inducers) would spool very quickly and support up to 1400 hp.
twin GT40s would be really good! if you wanted a little more power you could swap to GT42rs (still on T4 housings).

as for the block, have you thought about O-ringing??? i have heard some great things about it and would be some added safety.....

Chris.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by Adam Connell
Well after doin some more looking today Im thinking a 402 ERL Ls2 shortblock prepped by ERL would suit me fine. Thinking trickflow 235 6 bolt heads as well.
I do not see the point of using 6-bolt heads on a 4-bolt block. That is like putting new **** on a dead hooker. They look nice, but are pretty much useless.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

ERL makes 6 bolt blocks.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there certain fuels (alcohol) that you can just fill the block and not run any coolant system? That would sure solve the pushing water problem in this situation.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

^pushing water is not the real problem, it is the result of lifting the heads due to insufficient clamping force inherent to the 4 bolt heads. You cant make reliable power if your combustion chamber isn't properly sealed
Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

I would think that having a filled block would make a big difference in the strength of the block, and would help keep the block and or heads deforming, and you'd have less sealing problems. No personal experience, but you should be able to push a filled block quite a bit harder than a non-filled one.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

filling the block helps counter cylinder wall distortion found in high power levels. It unfortunately won't help much with keeping the 4-bolt heads in place. With methanol and an aluminum block, I'd imagine he'll be tall filling the block.

Quick Reply: Lets Build a MONSTER TRUCK engine....