Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lets Build a MONSTER TRUCK engine....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:07 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was building this engine wise I would use a tall deck warhawk block with All Pro LSw heads. I'd effectively try to maximize the amount of power out of boost.

What hasn't been considered a lot here is with monster compression you're going to have astronomical back pressure ratings really quickly. What some people have said is keep the cubes down to around the 40x range. That'll reduce overall power.

In regards to building something like this I would first set out a budget for the engine. How much are you willing to spend? You could spend $5000 on the engine or $15000. After you have that figured out I would call the guys at forced induction and talk with them about what you are trying to acomplish with your turbo setup.

I think you are on the right track with the meth, BS3, and 16x160 setup. You should be able to make considerably more than 1200 horsepower reliably if you set this up well.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce_454

no need for that... just remove the restrictor plate.. the last year they ran unrestricted i believe the record at talladega was set ay 212mph on the straight..... with todays aerodunamics that would most likely be 220+ mph.. and allowing for more cubes the cars could be so fast that no one ever finished a race....

could we get back on track now??

my question is... if the rules dont allow turbos, or efi.... then why are we debating this??? i mean a dry sumped LSX with a schwartz top end running meth would be cool as hell... not to mention the sound!!!

but would you be allowed to run it??
The industry is in a period of transition right now, and the rule enforcement on engines have relaxed quite a bit over the past few years. It might not fly in Monster Jam just yet, but getting bookings with them is not an easy task anyways.

At this point and time, if you show up and run reliably, act professionally, put on a good show every time and have a marketable image you will have bookings. I will let the engine speak for itself. The promotion company I work for is always looking for the next big thing, and as long as you meet all the safety rules and drive responsibly I should have no problems with the turbo's... Especially if I walk around with a dyno sheet showing that I make less HP than many of these guys claim... I honestly think if I can get it all to work everyone would just go "cool" and not really give me any issues... Safety comes first, so as long as I show that Im not pushing some insane uncontrollable HP I should be good, especially if it sounds cool and is reliable.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
If I was building this engine wise I would use a tall deck warhawk block with All Pro LSw heads. I'd effectively try to maximize the amount of power out of boost.

I think you are on the right track with the meth, BS3, and 16x160 setup. You should be able to make considerably more than 1200 horsepower reliably if you set this up well.

Same If your not limited by CI or room tall deck warhakwk. The added ci will add to the low end nicely.

IF you can run a anti lag system with meth. That would be a killer set up. But a anti lag system will sound pretty crazy on a engine this size/power. Google rally cars with that type of system and remember they sound like that with 2-4 liter engines
Old 12-31-2008, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
Same If your not limited by CI or room tall deck warhakwk. The added ci will add to the low end nicely.

IF you can run a anti lag system with meth. That would be a killer set up. But a anti lag system will sound pretty crazy on a engine this size/power. Google rally cars with that type of system and remember they sound like that with 2-4 liter engines
mate i have stood right behind fully prepeard WRC cars when they launch! its mighty impressive! you are looking at massively high EGTs with normal fuel though. having said that meth might be a bit easier as it will run cooler. i think the 2001 ford Focus WRC car had reported EGTs of over 1000degree C!!!! they had to have garrett build the GT30R based turbo with ceramic turbine blades to stop them from metling. this ment the exhaust manifold has to be increadably 'clean' (super good welding) to reduce the chanse of things distroying the turbine. also the compresor was billiet aluminium...

there was also a story about a guys changing a damaged exhaust on one car. once the car get into service after 2-4stages (probalby about 45 min of HARD driving) the mechanic when to rip the exhaust off as it was only hanging on. he grabbed the tailpipe and his nomex glove set on fire! thats how hot anti lag can make the exhaust.

also if you see any footage of WRC cars have a look at the tailpipes. the silencer matterail is offten glowing RED HOT! and thats 6 foot from the turbo!

these thing really are amazing. they have to run in frezzing conditions one week and then dessert conditions the next. they have to cover about 1000mile in total (probalby 150-200 stage miles, the rest road driving) and must fire on the button everytime....

sorry for the little rant about WRC cars

back to the topic, if you can get Anti-lag to work with the alky it would be unreal! anf with the cubes and added compresion you would have power as soon as the throttle was pressed...forget lag with that setup!

Chris.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 AM
8 Second Club

Inconel manifolds with anti-lag....
Old 12-31-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by veee8
Inconel manifolds with anti-lag....
you can get away with stainless if you dont have the Anti-lag set very agressive. but Inconel is deff the material of choice for SERIOUS anti-lag. but at those levels the turbos will have to be changed pretty often to....

Chris.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Hey guys could you point me in the direction of these Anti-lag systems? I hate to sound ignorant, but I have never seen or heard one... I have heard of them before, but I kinda dismissed it as a ricer myth... I would definitely be interested in at least checking it out!

Also I have not talked much about budget yet, but since this is an un proven setup Im considering this budget to be more on the small side incase I wind up having to build a conventional monster truck engine.

What I may do is build an Iron stock block/crank LQ4/9 with some decent O-ringed heads, good rods, and good pistons and see how far I can take it...Start out low and slow and slowly turn up the power until I get where I want to be. If it works like I want but I nuke it, I will go ahead and shell out for a nice aluminum big cube stroker/6 bolt heads... I can always reuse the fuel system parts, ECU, and other related parts but the actual engine itself is kinda worthless if my project does not work.

Since Im just in the parts collecting/design stage for the monster truck, I might put together my "iron block setup" and drop it in my Nova rolling chassis and get to know BS3 and the engine setup. A "street" car would be a nice test bed since I want it to meet that standard of reliability anyways. Or maybe I'll go pick up a heavy truck to test it in at auction... I dont know but a dealer's license makes getting a test vehicle a lot cheaper/easier.

So you guys think a monster truck engine in a 2800lb car might be kinda fun?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anti-lag is done with the tuning...it is a function of removing alot of timing and dumping alot of fuel. Ignition happens in the exhaust pre turbo and it spools the turbo quickly without a load.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Chris.

From what I understand, the glow at the rear of a WRC car is the catalytic convertor glowing.

Yes....rules dictate these cars have to have a cat....so they mount it at the rear. Probably the only place it has a chance of surviving.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Chris.

From what I understand, the glow at the rear of a WRC car is the catalytic convertor glowing.

Yes....rules dictate these cars have to have a cat....so they mount it at the rear. Probably the only place it has a chance of surviving.
****! never knew that steve! thanks mate....

i always thought it was just the silencer glowing soo hot. but thinking about it they do look like cats......

Cheers

Chris.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

antylag is used in every single car in rally. so i do not think the system is ricer math. it works by dumping lots of fuel in the engine at the correct time to keep the turbo spooled. but i have hard that the turbo life is shortened severally. and the engine takes more of a beating. also i would not recommend the lq9 if you are going over 1000hp. you will be blowing your head gaskets pretty quick.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 PM

Cool out of date time bomb

Originally Posted by Adam Connell
Well, I wont go into details but I work in the monster truck industry. If I dont get a ride soon, I am going to build my own truck... Im only going to be young for so long lol.

Well, I am going about things very differently with this truck... one of the things I would like to avoid is the BBC/Roots/Mechanical fuel injection that we run. I think is ridiculous with today's technology. We are only trying to make 1500 crank HP but our redundant rules, keep up in the stone age when it comes to power adders and the engines we have running these days are basically ticking time bombs because of the 10% blower OD rule, and the fact that we can only run roots blowers.

Im setting out to turn some heads here and show what can be done with modern technology. I would like input on if this is feasible, practical/reliable, and if It could be done within a reasonable budget... more emphasis on the first two as I that it takes money to make HP, but if you're not nuking an engine every year then it works out cheaper in the long run anyways.

Here are the requirements for the engine I want to build:
-1200FWH/1200FWTQ(more TQ the better!)
-Broad power range
-Methanol(or possibly e85, I think a "pump gas" monster would be funny)
-LSX based...(if it could be done with an aluminum block I would be stoked)
-No intercooler or small Air/Air, Not opposed to spraying meth to cool charge.
-Turbo, ZERO lag or as close to Zero as I could get. Not opposed to DBB Twins or any other exotic combination.

We run Alternators, Hydraulic steering pumps, and I would run an electric water pump... Would also run a mechanical fuel pump more than likely.

The KEY here is turn key "daily driver" reliability... IM not your run of the mill redneck, so I have no issue with tuning it based on altitude/weather but for the most part I would like to have something that's going to last me all year and start every time.

Things to consider:
I WILL ONLY run Alochol (ethanol/methanol) so compressions ratios can be pretty insane.... that will definitely help with spool/Low end.
my truck will be roughly 75-8500lbs and that is MUCH lighter than most of the trucks running so I can get away with less HP.

Also, what engine management/Fuel system would be be suited for this project?

Nice thing: I have as much room to work with as I need... it's a tube frame!

IM not going for overkill here, but reliability/drivability is KEY!

So what do you guys think!?
Although Im an pro. engine builder with the NHRA,I have never built an engine for the monster truck Industry. I would like to give you my thoughts about your engine build. Not knowing the guide lines and limitations to an engine build I dont feel comfortable in doing so. If you would list an average engine build from bottom to top, turn key engine, I would Love to give you my thoughts about your build. What compression ratio, heads, induction system.camshaft and so on. May GOD BLESS YOU IN JESUS NAME A-MEN
Thanx Blown And Injucted.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 PM

Although Im an pro. engine builder with the NHRA,I have never built an engine for the monster truck Industry. I would like to give you my thoughts about your engine build. Not knowing the guide lines and limitations to an engine build I dont feel comfortable in doing so. If you would list an average engine build from bottom to top, turn key engine, I would Love to give you my thoughts about your build. What compression ratio, heads, induction system.camshaft and so on. May GOD BLESS YOU IN JESUS NAME A-MEN
Thanx Blown And Injucted.

Quick Reply: Lets Build a MONSTER TRUCK engine....