Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Side Pipes Sitting Pretty

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, this is the first Vette I've seen, but come on this is not the first car on here, I recall a Camaro right now, that has had an exhaust exit from in front of a front tire... Is it ideal? No... Will the car be dirty? Yes... However, it will only get dirty from driving it, and I don't think a 1k rwhp Corvette will be a daily driver... He could just do a quick wash after doing a meet/race 5 minutes with a hose and put the car away, the paint shouldn't be damaged I don't think.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Boost controllers are your friend.. Just because a car makes 1k plus rwhp at high boost does not mean it cant drive around at 650 to 700rwhp on pump gas... Besides when you get to well over 600rwhp you are not thinking about daily driving the car.. You have too much money tied up in the car to risk some idiot not paying attention hitting you.

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Guys, this is the first Vette I've seen, but come on this is not the first car on here, I recall a Camaro right now, that has had an exhaust exit from in front of a front tire... Is it ideal? No... Will the car be dirty? Yes... However, it will only get dirty from driving it, and I don't think a 1k rwhp Corvette will be a daily driver... He could just do a quick wash after doing a meet/race 5 minutes with a hose and put the car away, the paint shouldn't be damaged I don't think.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lets be honest here ... I put about 2K miles a year on the car. Atleast 500 of those miles are on the dyno
Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VINCE
Boost controllers are your friend.. Just because a car makes 1k plus rwhp at high boost does not mean it cant drive around at 650 to 700rwhp on pump gas... Besides when you get to well over 600rwhp you are not thinking about daily driving the car.. You have too much money tied up in the car to risk some idiot not paying attention hitting you.
I didn't think the BC part was worth mentioning, but that's essentially my point... To use a better phrase, I doubt he'd drive a 1k rwhp CAPABLE car everyday... I should know I drive around on 700 rwhp on pump (though I am not 1k rwhp capable lol), and I would never think to drive this car everyday... Too much of a pain... Too much to worry about like you said, especially being hit.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xLBx
Lets be honest here ... I put about 2K miles a year on the car. Atleast 500 of those miles are on the dyno
Exactly, the last thing on your mind is some stupid crud or some oil along the bottom/side of the car/fenders on the ONE day that month you take your car out for example... You could clean it off in five minutes with some car soap, a hose, and microfiber sponge. lol Big whoop.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly, the last thing on your mind is some stupid crud or some oil along the bottom/side of the car/fenders on the ONE day that month you take your car out for example... You could clean it off in five minutes with some car soap, a hose, and microfiber sponge. lol Big whoop.
I drive my 1100rwhp car 2x a week and in 2 month I need new paint....and yes I washed it every time it went over......you know how inside your gas cap says wash off the spilled gas asap or damage with happen to your paint...think about it... what do you think comes out the tail pipe? Oil, unburned and partial burned fuel, etc.....and yes it is a big woop on a car you got 60k?? invested in and a good paint job is 5k...not to mention when you pull into the spot and got oil splatter all down the side of your car and yes it will be down the whole side not just the bottom...it's not pretty...it doesn't just wipe off...anyway enough said about that.

Btw a 1000+rwhp car can hook up and be daily drive very easily nowadays...it's all in the set-up and planning.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks good, but I'd think it would ruin the paint in time with the heat combined with the exhaust. But whats cheaper buying new panels / exhaust and having them painted or just doing some touch up or painting? The damage is done now, stick with it. The only thing I would look into is some clear plastic coverings to peel off. I'd try those and see if they are aesthetically pleasing, if not, oh well.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
I drive my 1100rwhp car 2x a week and in 2 month I need new paint....and yes I washed it every time it went over......you know how inside your gas cap says wash off the spilled gas asap or damage with happen to your paint...think about it... what do you think comes out the tail pipe? Oil, unburned and partial burned fuel, etc.....and yes it is a big woop on a car you got 60k?? invested in and a good paint job is 5k...not to mention when you pull into the spot and got oil splatter all down the side of your car and yes it will be down the whole side not just the bottom...it's not pretty...it doesn't just wipe off...anyway enough said about that.

Btw a 1000+rwhp car can hook up and be daily drive very easily nowadays...it's all in the set-up and planning.
Yes, it does wipe off... Not with a dry towel obviously but with a sponge, soap, etc. but it does... Of course you'd clean it that same night, not let it sit. lol It's not a big deal if you're gonna drive it once a week and clean it immediately... It's really not... To you maybe, but not necessarily to others, and if you commit to a routine, you can ensure your paint stays clean, not ruined. If I drove the car several times a week, then of course I or anyone else wouldn't do it... The cleaning couldn't catch up and the paint job would slowly stain. This is not the case here apparently.

Remember, some cars have a factory side exits anyway like the Viper... MANY Vipers go twin turbo and still keep their side exits that I've seen online and some videos. Yes it's not on the front of the car, but usually in front of the rear tires, where exhaust junk can still get the sides of the rear... I doubt that you'd say NONE of them care about their paint job. lol
Old 01-03-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, it does wipe off... Not with a dry towel obviously but with a sponge, soap, etc. but it does... Of course you'd clean it that same night, not let it sit. lol It's not a big deal if you're gonna drive it once a week and clean it immediately... It's really not... To you maybe, but not necessarily to others, and if you commit to a routine, you can ensure your paint stays clean, not ruined. If I drove the car several times a week, then of course I or anyone else wouldn't do it... The cleaning couldn't catch up and the paint job would slowly stain. This is not the case here apparently.

Remember, some cars have a factory side exits anyway like the Viper... MANY Vipers go twin turbo and still keep their side exits that I've seen online and some videos. Yes it's not on the front of the car, but usually in front of the rear tires, where exhaust junk can still get the sides of the rear... I doubt that you'd say NONE of them care about their paint job. lol
Lol...ok.. so go pour gas and oil on your fender and then wipe it off...repeat process 20 times and tell me how your paint looks...LOl..and you better take a closer look at vipers! better get a nice buffer and wax! You keep looking at that on line stuff....I see this stuff first hand. I did side exhaust so I KNOW what happens and I do try to take care of my car. So you can't tell me different.

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 01-03-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^Every time my wife gasses up, she spills the gas over and it runs on the paint. No problem and we have over 60k on our dd.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had a white car with 4" side pipe that blew 12" flames. I know what it takes to keep it clean. The rear of my vette would get full of black crap from the exhaust every time I drive it. I think a simple solution would be to 3M clear tape the bottom of the fender near the exhaust pipe. Clean the car once a week and it will always look like new. This is by no means a daily driver, so I don't understand why people are making it sound like I enjoy long trips to the beach. This is my bad *** weekend warrior bitchez
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

That **** is awesome........all that I can say is "wow"
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

I have had a white car with 4" side pipe that blew 12" flames. I know what it takes to keep it clean. The rear of my vette would get full of black crap from the exhaust every time I drive it. I think a simple solution would be to 3M clear tape the bottom of the fender near the exhaust pipe. Clean the car once a week and it will always look like new. This is by no means a daily driver, so I don't understand why people are making it sound like I enjoy long trips to the beach. This is my bad *** weekend warrior bitchez
Hey.. what is that clear tape like? How big of pieces can you get? I think that would be a good idea.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have seen people use it across the whole front of their car to avoid rock chips. I am sure it is pretty cheap and easy to find
Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I have seen people use it across the whole front of their car to avoid rock chips. I am sure it is pretty cheap and easy to find
Some cars some with it from the dealer as a cheap option... I think the Carrera GT came with on the front fascia/bumper... Not sure.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I need to find out where we can get some.

Quick Reply: Side Pipes Sitting Pretty