Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any procharger guys had trouble with the inlet hat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any procharger guys had trouble with the inlet hat?

The plastic intake housing on the blower. Somehow I broke it off. Wot for 2nd gear, then heard some bad noises from the engine bay. Luckily it was the housing. Broke the clamp lip part right off. I guess it got smashed on the fan shroud under some motor torquing? Anyway, I'm gonna get some measurements and try to get another box made with more clearance. I imagine ati want's an arm and a leg for just that plastic box...
Old 10-02-2003, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Any procharger guys had trouble with the inlet hat?

Yup mine broke, I believe it pulls so hard under boost that it cracks it and pulls it into the impeller. Mine messed up the fins on the inlet side of the blower also. How old is your set up? reason I asked is that they now have a new one piece(no slit where clamp goes) which is alot thicker in let hat. They charged me for a new impeller,bearing,seal, and hat= over $900. what got me is when I told them the hat fell apart they said yes we've had this problem before and we now have a new inlet hat. When I told them it tore up the impeller fins they said, send it in and let us take a look. Then they call with a bill.
Tom
Old 10-02-2003, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure how you would check this, but perhaps your motor mounts are having issues, causing your block to sway more. Just a thought, but I haven't had an issues with my inlet hat. Good luck bro.

Mike
Old 10-02-2003, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.

Hmmm. I figured the tinging noise I heard was the impeller hitting it. I haven't had a chance to look at it real well yet. Just took the belt off and covered the intake side so nothing gets in while driving. Just looked at the hat and I don't see where there was a slit in it. I've had this kit for 11 months now.

Quick Reply: Any procharger guys had trouble with the inlet hat?