Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

some questions about turbocharging...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some questions about turbocharging...

Let me open by saying that I'm not completely dumb to the turbo world. I've done some fairly extensive homework over the years, and I know how they work, basic advantages and disadvantages to specific designs, how to read a compressor map, etc.

My questions are a little more brand specific--the first involving adequate oiling. I have been looking at the oiling system on my iron 6.0/L92 long block setup, and I'm having a hard time picking a place to run my oil pressure lines from. I have a friend that took his from the tap in the front left of the engine (the main line feeding/returning from the filter) and starved two engines to death. I was entertaining taking from the rear of the engine where the cam oil galleries loop at the oil pressure sensor. My friend's fix was to drill and tap his oil cooler blockoff for his oil feed line. What are you guys doing? How long has your setup been fed this way? What have you experienced problems with?

The second question involves valvetrain. I know you guys probably have a lot of people talking hard crap here, but I'm trying to make big, BIG power. My setup will consist of Lq4 block and stock crank with unported L92 heads, good AMERICAN made forged rods and pistons in the neighborhood of 9:1, and a pair of TO4B 60-1s, pumping no more than 20 psi through either a GMPP single plane intake or a home made sheetmetal tunnel ram. All this with an rpm ceiling of 6500-7k. Who has a comparable setup and who's cam are you using? Who's valves are you using? Any recommendations on rings? I just want to be able to live from the mistakes and successes of others. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by deadhorse66; 01-11-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My aps kit gets it oil from tapping the not used factory oil cooler housing that is by the oil filter.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 AM
Launching!

Awesome--I'll probably use that. I've been reading some good things about hellfire rings, anyone have any input there? I plan on some street driving and self tuning is not out of the question, so is there a better option for low cylinder wear and no risk of washing the plasma moly coating off? Also, I've been a fan of the Ferrea 5k/6k valves for some time, but I've never built a boosted engine from scratch before, so I don't know how well they might stack up to others under pressure. Still hunting suggestions!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:31 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My oil feed comes from the blockoff plate above the filler... Never had an issue, just drilled and tapped for a 1/8NPT hole and ran a common size hose over to my turbo... And gravity drain back in the pan from there.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About your 2nd question, I would take a look at the EPP forced induction cam, great on stock cubed LS or LQ engines, great street mannors and will work well with your ceiling set-up of 6.5-7K. You will need some .650 capable lift dual valve springs for that cam such as patriot duals. This is the cam and spring I intend to run on my STS turbo LQ4.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Launching!

I've been checking into those, and I like the looks of them. Make sure and let me know how you like it.