Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pic's of shaved turbine housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shearer
I can't disagree that the extra material would help in a catastrophic failure. However not very likely as I doubt this car will ever create the extreme shaft speeds needed to make that happen.

As far as heat retention. It will reduce the thermal mass of the housing, it will get up to operating temperature faster and cool down faster. Exhaust gas traveling through the turbine will remain unaffected. Especially when the housing is coated or wrapped with a thermal bag.
Unless you had some facts, I cant say I agree.

I know rear mount turbo systems spool like **** when you add thinner, less heat retaining exhaust piping pre turbo.

I'm not saying that it will spool slow, just saying that if I had to hold my hand 6 inches away from a hot exhaust housing during a loaded pull, Id rather it be 17 lbs thicker.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:41 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I highly doubt it was 17# of metal but it probably did take a good chunk off. Who did the machine work?
Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ From the sounds of it Shearer did. I'm wondering how much something of this nature would cost.....????
Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
8 Second Club

I didnt weigh the turbo before but I weighed it on a nice digital scale after and it was exactly 56# The housing will be coated so I am not worried about thermal transfer.
The cost isnt that bad, its a CNC program.
For me the weight of the turbo is a big deal. My car was very heavy last year. I have a long way to go on the weight reduction and any new parts being added have to be looked at carefully. This made sense for me, its not for everybody.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
Unless you had some facts, I cant say I agree.

I know rear mount turbo systems spool like **** when you add thinner, less heat retaining exhaust piping pre turbo.

I'm not saying that it will spool slow, just saying that if I had to hold my hand 6 inches away from a hot exhaust housing during a loaded pull, Id rather it be 17 lbs thicker.
i'll give you some facts...

the way Garrett makes the housing is simple, one external dimension for all A/R's which means from the outside it is the same for .90 through 1.40

as the A/R changes the wall thickness gets reduced, so the lower the A/R number the thicker the wall.

the .90 and the 1.00 A/R garrett housing can be machined and ~20lbs taken off and still have a wall thickness greater than the 1.40 A/R which Garrett blast tests to make sure containment is achieved. so you end up with a light housing that still has a wall thickness that is able to blast contain.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TiAL
i'll give you some facts...

the way Garrett makes the housing is simple, one external dimension for all A/R's which means from the outside it is the same for .90 through 1.40

as the A/R changes the wall thickness gets reduced, so the lower the A/R number the thicker the wall.

the .90 and the 1.00 A/R garrett housing can be machined and ~20lbs taken off and still have a wall thickness greater than the 1.40 A/R which Garrett blast tests to make sure containment is achieved. so you end up with a light housing that still has a wall thickness that is able to blast contain.
Thanks for the info, I just assumed to get 17 lbs out of it the turbo had to have less of a wall thickness then something that would come factory. Learn something new everyday.

Last edited by black98ws6ta; 01-13-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So is the 1.40 A/R lighter than a .96?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Holy ****, Ray, that thing is gigantic.

I have the kids this weekend, you want some company?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Thanks for that, but thats only 1/2 of my concern.

Whats the other half?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:42 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by koolrayz
I didnt weigh the turbo before but I weighed it on a nice digital scale after and it was exactly 56# The housing will be coated so I am not worried about thermal transfer.
For me the weight of the turbo is a big deal. My car was very heavy last year. I have a long way to go on the weight reduction and any new parts being added have to be looked at carefully. This made sense for me, its not for everybody.
Is the program specifically for that housing or can this be done to any housing? I'm rather weight conscious with what I put in my car. I'm conceding putting an iron block in there because I don't have the $1000 for a L92 block and I got it through a trade.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Frank02L
So is the 1.40 A/R lighter than a .96?
yes, much lighter
Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that, but thats only 1/2 of my concern.
So you are presented with facts from a person that manufactures turbine housings, but yet you still beg to differ?? wow man, whatever.
I guess the stainless Tial v-band turbine housings are **** too then, no one run them!! they will blow up and kill your spool time!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolrayz
Dude that turbo weights less that 60 pounds out of the box...in fact I weighed my t101 ....it weighs 59 pounds....so.....kind of a waste.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
Dude that turbo weights less that 60 pounds out of the box...in fact I weighed my t101 ....it weighs 59 pounds....so.....kind of a waste.
a .90 A/R unmachined GT5533 weighs 78lbs
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TiAL
a .90 A/R unmachined GT5533 weighs 78lbs
I just weighed my ez94x and it weighs 56 pounds and the 101 was a turbonetics but I don't see where your getting 78 cause my 94 is a garret large frame too..
Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Grr
So you are presented with facts from a person that manufactures turbine housings, but yet you still beg to differ?? wow man, whatever.
I guess the stainless Tial v-band turbine housings are **** too then, no one run them!! they will blow up and kill your spool time!
Thanks for the info, I just assumed to get 17 lbs out of it the turbo had to have less of a wall thickness then something that would come factory. Learn something new everyday.
Is that better?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

Either way, who cares? Its lighter than it was before. Shearer is thinking outside the box. He is a smart dude, as is tial. You think that turbine housing is thin? You should see my FP HTA GT35Rs with the Tial turbine housing. Pure engineering sex. period.

This is good stuff, step back and take a note. Dont bash, and you just might learn something.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Louis
Either way, who cares? Its lighter than it was before. Shearer is thinking outside the box. He is a smart dude, as is tial. You think that turbine housing is thin? You should see my FP HTA GT35Rs with the Tial turbine housing. Pure engineering sex. period.

This is good stuff, step back and take a note. Dont bash, and you just might learn something.
I am not bashing in anyway, I posted back up just to show I can admit being wrong, geez lol.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
FormerVendor

Its all good Ron (Shearer) comes from the 4 cylinder world. He and I go back..... Good guy, lots of knowledge and some very fast cars. He finally found his was into an LS1 engine bay
Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Louis
You should see my FP HTA GT35Rs with the Tial turbine housing. Pure engineering sex. period.

This going on the standing mile vette? i noticed the motor is for sale want to share a little?

Quick Reply: Pic's of shaved turbine housing