Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Incon twin kit question!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by barnat
Ide check the oil return pump VERY GOOD or replace just to be on the safe side .Thats why i made a belt driven system for my INCON before i sold it for a APS Heres a few pics if you havent seen it yet
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...arparts006.jpg
Thanks for the pic I might have to look into to that!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm having this EXACT same problem with my Incon kit that I just installed. o2ws8, I assume that you eventually found what was causing it and fixed it since you changed your mind about selling the car recently. What ended up being the problem? Was it the scavenge system or did the turbo end up having to be rebuilt?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Regular

It was the turbo that had to be rebuilt!I took my kit off finally and gonna try to sell it!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you ever find a place that could do it and did you get a price?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bluebird71
Did you ever find a place that could do it and did you get a price?
Ya I got it done here in twon but I dont think they did it right cause its damaged againI had to order a new carthridge for the turbo and it cost me 1k bucks.This turbos aint cheap.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DAMN! That was just for the passenger side one? Was the other one still good?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by o2ws8
Ya I got it done here in twon but I dont think they did it right cause its damaged againI had to order a new carthridge for the turbo and it cost me 1k bucks.This turbos aint cheap.
Ive heard that the place here in town aint all its cracked up to be.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

DAMN! That was just for the passenger side one? Was the other one still good?
yea dude just for the passenger one.Thats the only thats ever gave me problems the driver side one aint gave me trouble at all.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I'm having the same problem and I'm trying to run my drain differently. I'm hoping and praying that's the problem. I can't afford 1k to rebuild it and all the shops around here say they aren't rebuildable???
Old 06-23-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hell, I looked them up and you can just get a damn brand new one for about $1,300, and they would have brand new wastegates on them and you wouldn't even have to wait on them like you would with a rebuild. Screw rebuilding them! I'm livid that I paid top dollar for what might be a kit with bad turbos! I want to try some of these different oiling methods, but I really feeling like I'm throwing more money at the problem and just delaying the inevitable.

Is there any way for me, or a shop, to test test them once they are removed to see if they are still good or not? I have a local turbo shop that does mostly Garrett stuff for diesels. They said they could look at it but they don't even attempt to do ball bearing rebuilds. I might take it off and take it to them to evaluate. They did say, however, there there is a shop somewhere in Arizona who's owner used to be a top builder at Garrett and is one of the few in the country who can rebuild a ball bearing turbo and do it right. Who knows what he charges though.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the turbos interchangeable from side to side (passenger to driver side) on these kits? I figured they had to be if they are just standard Garrett GT3076r's.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are the turbos interchangeable from side to side (passenger to driver side) on these kits? I figured they had to be if they are just standard Garrett GT3076r's.
Im pretty sure stocks were GT28's if my memorys correct and you also want to check for cracks around the wastegate flapper seats as their known for getting those cracks from that internal wastegate slamming on the seats all the time. I had 2 of these kits a few years back and both had at least on turbo that had a slight crack around the wastegate seat My buddys got one with a crack thats been that way for a few years now without growing or getting any bigger. Just something to watch for when buying or getting a rebuilt GT28 or GT30 turbo.Ive even went as far as to use a little piece of scotch pad and clean around the seat alittle when i was going to buy a used stock set off of another buddy of mine that was selling his stock GT28's and sure enough,,,,I found it too had a hair line crack in the seat
Old 06-27-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That crack in the seat could be causing some of the boost to leak out of the wastegate, correct?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01blackbeast
I'm having the same problem and I'm trying to run my drain differently. I'm hoping and praying that's the problem. I can't afford 1k to rebuild it and all the shops around here say they aren't rebuildable???
Lol... I had this EXACT same problem when I installed my Incon kit too. That passenger side turbo is a real *****. I just got rid of the scavenge tank and went with a -10an line and fitting on that side, and got rid of the tilton pump and went with the turbowerx. Killed the leaking drastically, but I believe my turbo's on its way out so I'm gonna take it off anyways when I get some money and have it rebuilt. If I'm not mistaken, Virginia Speed rebuilds turbos here in VA Beach and there's some other local place that does turbo stuff but I forgot the name... they made me a nice set of actuating arms for 50 bucks
Old 06-29-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A Str8 Up G
Lol... I had this EXACT same problem when I installed my Incon kit too. That passenger side turbo is a real *****. I just got rid of the scavenge tank and went with a -10an line and fitting on that side, and got rid of the tilton pump and went with the turbowerx. Killed the leaking drastically, but I believe my turbo's on its way out so I'm gonna take it off anyways when I get some money and have it rebuilt. If I'm not mistaken, Virginia Speed rebuilds turbos here in VA Beach and there's some other local place that does turbo stuff but I forgot the name... they made me a nice set of actuating arms for 50 bucks
I tried that with the Turbowerx pump and it seemed to make the oil burning worse than when the catch cans were on.

If you take it to your local shop for a rebuild, make sure they rebuild BALL BEARING turbos. From my experience there are only a hand full of shops in the country that can rebuild ball bearing turbos and most won't even service them. Let us know if you find one though for a reasonable price.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I tried that with the Turbowerx pump and it seemed to make the oil burning worse than when the catch cans were on.

If you take it to your local shop for a rebuild, make sure they rebuild BALL BEARING turbos. From my experience there are only a hand full of shops in the country that can rebuild ball bearing turbos and most won't even service them. Let us know if you find one though for a reasonable price.
Did you use the Incon bracket for the Turbowerx pump? I got a different one made because I didn't like how it had the feed lines situated going into the pump, they were up at a weird angle. My new bracket has the pump to where it's pretty much a straight shot from both turbos to the pump, and the return line goes into the bottom of the oil pan like normal. I'll hit up VA Speed today and that other place and ask em about the ball bearing turbo rebuilds & pricing.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, you know what, I did use that old Incon bracket cause I had read how someone was saying that it fit so good, but your right, I was thinking that it couldn't be good that the inlet was facing down.

When I get home this evening, I am going to start a big master thread for all Incon kit owners and invite all the old experts (like cablebandit and barnat). I will include all the links to all the good threads I have found on these little issues and hopefully we can all share good knowledge and make a very useful thread.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, here is the thread I just started. Everyone get on there and lend your 2 cents.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, you know what, I did use that old Incon bracket cause I had read how someone was saying that it fit so good, but your right, I was thinking that it couldn't be good that the inlet was facing down.
I got some dudes at work to make me one that fits the Turbowerx pump pretty good and puts it in a good spot too, I'll get under the car next weekend and get some pics of it so you can see what I'm talking about. Can probably get em to make a few extras, just gotta take mine off so they can copy it.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

thinkin of a car with this Incon kit...sounds good exceot for that pass. turbo issue

Quick Reply: Incon twin kit question!!