Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Did ur insurance company send an agent to check mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a company that insures classic/collectible cars. Not expensive, but the car cannot be a DD. You can drive to work sometimes, but not everyday. They took my word for the value of the car, after I sent photos. They asked me if it was modded, I said "Yes".
Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
I didn't report any of the mods. Didn't even consider it. The insurance companies make enough money as it is. I don't get too reckless with my car. I figure somebody will pile into me and that is unfortunate or should it get away from me, it is my fault as is.

Well, I'm on the same boat really, hardly ever drive this car, mainly saturday nights when it's nice out there to meet with my f body friends and car shows (Carlisle every year and so on).
My job involves a lot of driving and I see a lot of weird things out there, some people simply should not be behind a steering wheel. So I'm only worried about OTHER DRIVERS hitting me, and for that reason I'm considering the insurance thing, it's good to hear ur opinions guys.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

Call ANPAC (American National Property and Casualty). That is who I have insurance threw. It's a specialty insurance. You never know how good your insurance is until you have to use it. A few years ago I had to use it. My 02 Camaro SSLE caught on fire and burned to the ground. Long story short they paid for mods and all if you have receipts. The only stipulation is no NOS. They will not payout for NOS. When you sign up for there insurance they make you sign a forum that you don't have it. IMO they are the best insurance ever. After my claim they sent a survey out to me asking how well of a job they did. How many insurance companys do you know that do that? Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions. Thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a thought, If you dont tell your insurance about your mods they may not cover you at all. look in your contract because there might be a clause that states "anyt modifications from oem equipment may void policy". ie: you made your car faster, didn't tell us, so now we say it is your fault and aren't going to pay out. we had a customer at work who crashed his truck. he had 22's on it and 3 were totaled. Ins said he didn't notify so they weren't paying for the wheels. AND since the stock wheels were not on the vehicle at the time of the accident, they weren't liable to pay any money out for wheel replacement. They told him he could put his stock wheels back on at no cost. just a thought.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

I just did a stated value on my Camaro so my premium is based off of that not the value of a 92' Camaro. They asked what I thought the value was, never asked about mods. Anything over $80,000 and they want an appraisal done, thats how I understand it anyways.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by kikass_z28
What company are you under?
I believe it is Western National. I would have to take a look at my statements for sure though. I went to a local Insurance guy that people have had good luck with and I have my homeowner's insurance and car insurance through him.

One question I had is with purchasing stuff within my house, would those be covered. He said as long as you have proof, all that would be covered. Maybe the same would be with car parts!!! Doubtful though.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

it all really depends on what state you live in and which insurance company that you are with. I work for an independent agency that deals with many insurance companies, and they all have different requirements

Normally, in CA at least, no aftermarket mods are covered unless you specifically state that the car is modded, and you want those mods covered. (wheels, stereo, engine mods, etc) This will also make the premium go up, depending on what you want covered. Age, gender, years licensed, garage location, and violations also play a role in how premiums are calculated

The insurance company will most likely NOT send an agent to check on the mods, but they may want proof of what you have modded to determine your coverage. The only time cars are inspected is if they are considered "antique", "classic", "high value" or if there is an accident and in that case a claim adjuster will asses the damage of the car.

and yes, our F-body cars are considered "sports cars" like vettes, etc.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I called my insurance company a couple years back about this issue. Stated I had $15K of mods in the car and would not be happy if I got a 10K total payout in the event the car was destroyed.

I was told to keep all the receipts (+ I took pics). In the event my car's balled up, those are tied in with my property (homeowners) insurance for replacement.

Short version...they werent concerned with performance changes for the mods, so I pay insurance for a "stock" car, but the mods are also covered (via the property insurance) Use USAA for my insurance company
Old 02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nichols92
I just did a stated value on my Camaro so my premium is based off of that not the value of a 92' Camaro. They asked what I thought the value was, never asked about mods.
Same thing when I had Progressive and now Allstate. I told them how much money I have in it and they cover up to that stated value.

Last edited by calebzman; 02-04-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Sometimes it is not always best to let your insurance company know you have mods on your car. This happened to a friend of mine and he had Progressive. His car is supercharged, exhaust, etc. and he had it insured from more than the KBB value. An agent came out inspected the car and gave the approval to have it insured for the requested amount. About 10 months later he got a speeding ticket for about 8 mph over, but it was reduced to a less than 5 mph over ticket. Once Progressive got the information from the court/DMV, he got a letter from Progressive saying that his premium was going to be increased from about $110/month to $260/month. When he called them up asking why the huge rate increase they said something to the affect that the car is considered a race vehicle and a high risk. When he started to argue with them, they dropped him. Because of the drop, he could not find another company willing to insure him for less than $200/month.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Look into Grundy insurance. They let you set the value and the premiums are very reasonable. The only issue is that you can only use the car for pleasure, no errands, or commuting.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Schantin
Use USAA for my insurance company
I sure will give them a call and see if I can do the same. Great info, I really appreciate it.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1290
When he started to argue with them, they dropped him. Because of the drop, he could not find another company willing to insure him for less than $200/month.
Holly ****, that's a real sad story there. Is he in Colorado too? I heard many stories about progressive and this story is only convincing me not to insure with them.

Geico told me that they have to send an agent out, they did not ask me for receipts and so on, so it seems that every company is different, especially after hearing from you guys here. I will keep getting your opinions and make phone calls to see who can insure me with a "Decent" policy for the mods, I'm not expecting a policy of 50 bucks a month, but as all of us I refuse to have a company that will rip me off.

Thanks guys, lots of new facts and stories here.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only time I've had to use my insurance (geico) it was awesome. I called them Thursday night around 9pm. My friend's shop was closed Saturday through Monday as it was a holiday weekend. I had a check for the money in my hands Tuesday morning. I have my 95 and Formula insured through them. I'm 20 and I pay $127 per month for both of them.

I'm going to have to look into something for my 93 though. It's going to be more of a cruiser / racecar and I really don't want to have all of the money I've spent in it go down the drain if something happens. I think topics like this are really helpful.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I think topics like this are really helpful.

Big time.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just use Hagerty or Grundy Insurance and you give them a value you want the car insured for and they will give you a premium for the amount you want the car insured for.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Yup i would go with Hagerty. I have a friend who had a highly modded TA car had about $50,000 in mods was driving it home one night and bam drunk driver totals his car. He had regular insurance and they didnt want to pay out. He had all receipts plus it was not his fault. They battled it out in court and he got payed but not near what he had in the car plus it took him about a year to get the money. After that he went to Hagerty and now he doesnt have to worry about it.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
I called my insurance company a couple years back about this issue. Stated I had $15K of mods in the car and would not be happy if I got a 10K total payout in the event the car was destroyed.

I was told to keep all the receipts (+ I took pics). In the event my car's balled up, those are tied in with my property (homeowners) insurance for replacement.

Short version...they werent concerned with performance changes for the mods, so I pay insurance for a "stock" car, but the mods are also covered (via the property insurance) Use USAA for my insurance company
thats good to know since i have usaa as well

Originally Posted by powerhousecamaro
I sure will give them a call and see if I can do the same. Great info, I really appreciate it.
u do realize you either have to be military or someone in your immediate family has to have usaa in order to get them...for instance i have it because my dad had it (he is retired military) but luckily now i can keep it and pass it along but like i said it started from a military person and i was only able to get it because im related to him
Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I have USAA, the above posted info applys. Though I live in NH, so most of my other cars, bikes, etc. aren't insured.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Wink In a murky creek in CA w/no paddle

out here in CA I use AAA insurance and am not comfortable at all. they will pay blue book value on the car and if you have all your receipts for mods your lucky if you get .10 cents on the dollar! I've looked into grundy and hagerty insurance but I don't have a garage so they won't even touch me. I put in a six point roll bar, simpson harness, corvette seats with side air bags and take my chances. I'm more worried about my life than my car.

Quick Reply: Did ur insurance company send an agent to check mods?