Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why don't imports have to "bulletproof" their engines for turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda like are cranks.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless your making a lot of power the stock parts will work fine. Most people just buy the expensive parts for insurance against their inability to tune it right. My stock junkyard 5.3L shortblock is going on 3 years now putting around 640hp to the wheels. Its tuned pretty conservatively and runs like a dream, I'd drive it anywhere and I dont see anything breaking on it. I would guess its at its limits for being in the safety margin though.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

There is a lot of mis-information around here. Honda engines can take some serious abuse/power when boosted if the setup is right and the tune is right, even on stock sleeves and internals. I built a little civic hatch back in college that involved a b18b1 engine swap and a turbokit I built. The car was tuned via some software very similar to HPtuners for our cars. On stock internals and everything, the car took 10psi and 115mph trap speeds for 3yrs before it was sold. Now 115mph isn't that fast for us, but remember that engine made 140hp n/a. I doubled its hp and it still ran like a champ.

Next car after that was a Mitsu Evo. The car runs 19lbs from the factory, so the block/internals are already well equiped to make 500whp pretty reliably. Matter of fact, you never have to worry about the block as its iron. The fastest Evo's in the world run the stock block with forged internals.

I too have never understood V8 guys obsession with changing the stock crank(when your not going with a stroked setup). I have never even heard of a stock crank failing from too much power. Same situation with our stock blocks....I have never seen one fail from too much power. I have seen heads lift because of lack of a 6th bolt in combination with a ton of power/cylinder pressure, but I have never seen an aluminum block crack purely due to too much power. Yet the first thing you will ever hear out of anyone mouth on this forum is to ditch the stock crank for a forged unit because its "better" and to go with an iron block. I would do both if I was shooting for 1000whp+, otherwise, I am staying stock crank(if F/I) and block

Last edited by 1.8t; 02-18-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is more the right parts and tuning. I have a LSX based motor and a 2JZ car and from my experience as long as it's done right both will be trouble free.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Launching!

tuning plays a large part in that, cooling comes in second. Well built motors. And most imports do go with forged internals once they start going past 10lbs boost. At least around here they do. Had my *** handed to me by a CRX the other day. Caught up with the kid and turns out he had almost 12k in motor work done, 450hp big *** turbo at like 14psi. Helps when the car weighs 2300lbs. Once you get a decent tune your not going to have problems with detonation and so on.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

most imposts arnt putting out as much hp but the thing is that they also have lighter cars some time with awd. a 400whp sti or evo will run low 10s all day rarely does an evo break 1000 hp. a lot of turbo guys do build there motor for 350+ whp but most turbo kits only being your civic up to 250whp
Old 02-18-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by acidrain088
a 400whp sti or evo will run low 10s all day
Uhhh, no. Low 11's yes....not low 10's
Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 AM
EW1
Launching!

if you are going to add boost, I would upgrade the internals of the engine. Boost can be addicting. I had a b16 which I threw forged internals in and it would handle 17-18 psi no problem. I do not know how many times I have seen someone turn up the boost with their boost controller and blow a head gasket or loose a rod.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont most of those little 4 bangers have pretty good flowing heads n **** too from the factory?

I dunno if this makes any difference either but a 4cyl car has a lot less moving parts to break.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

^ But only half as many cylinders to make/support said power. 600hp is going to be harder on a 4cyl than 600hp on an 8cyl.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as imports not having to do engine work there is two classes....
Mitsubishi/Toyota that came turbo
and
Honda/Acura that didn't come turbo

The 2jz and 4g63 are both setup for turbos and have decent internals. Take your stock honda and throw 500rwhp to it and I bet it doesnt last very long.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Launching!

I don't fully understand why they can take more of a beating with 1/2 the cylinders. But here is a PRIME example. My bro's S R T-4. 628hp 558wtq UNCORRECTED! And that's at 4400 ft above sea level. Keep in mind this a STOCK bottom end car meaning stock pistons, rods, and crank, even all the bolts in the bottom end are stock. The car hasn't only been putting down high hp for a short time. Try WELL over a year, and many many pulls.

Here is the video- http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...628HP557TQ.flv
Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that is very impressive!!! that would be like taking a LS9 to 1200whp with the stock parts!

A lot depends on fuel and tuning though. That is right here I go again on the fuel thing lol, its always about the fuel.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Making good power with these smaller motors is much less forgiving than what you guys are used to playing with as well. I see so many f-d up set-ups on this site that make decent power and the owners are happy. Put those same caliber parts on a 2L and it will most likely be a turd. There is no replacement for displacement, yet that displacement is a bandaid in many regards.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by photoman9988
I was reading the sticky on the true cost of forced induction, and I noticed a lot of thing I had to buy to basically strengthen my engine. Well I know 10 import guys that put turbochargers on their cars without doing anything else to their engine, and they work just fine. So why do WE have to upgrade so many parts to use a turbo instead of just slap one on like the import guys?
This may have been said but i dont fill like reading the hole post. A lot depends on the car. Some engines respond better to boost then others. An example of this would be the scion TC since its a mild displacement 2.4L with mild compression and decent internals it doesn't mind a little bit of boost. Now turn that around and lets talk about lets say a K20 RSX type S. Ok not a bad little car by any means but very high compression. Even on mild boost they are very limited to safe power they can make. Yes its fun to turn the boost but its only a matter of time. And there are a tone more just like that. The 420A would also be a good example of a boosted engine that can put down mild power on borrowed time. "Just because it didnt go bang the first time doesn't mean it will not the next time"

With that being said look at the power difference. There are more then a ton of guys that have run 500 wheel horse power LS1's and LS2's for a good bit of time with no engine problems. There is a lot in a good tune. Try finding a NA import guy that just added a turbo kit on his car and try to make 500 to the wheels on a stock engine. I think you will find very few.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

all i have to say is my ex roomate had a GSX eclispe and he was running a stock motor and pushing 22 psi on it. for me lt1 mostly stock except msd, exhaust, intake........ his car would keep up with me but i would smoke him after 2nd gear. i got better gas mpg and sounded much meaner. that was 3 years ago. his car blew a rod through the bottom after 7 months. as for me still running like a raped ape. go gm!!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

My nephew has thrown rods in 2 honda motors and is getting tired of it and now is thinking of getting a Firebird.I kept telling him he couldn't keep tring to juice up those little motors and live and it looks like he is finally going to believe me.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol.
FIRST OFF THE GSX IS A FACTORY TURBO CAR. Also AWD thats why he jumped on the start.

SECOND. 22 PSI on a turbo the size of your fist inst much that is why a lot of dsm guys swap out to the bigger 16G's (more power at a lower boost) At 22 PSI on a stock DSM you are just blowing hot air and are way above the turbos efficiency.

And finally 22 psi on even a well bolted and cooled 4G63 is a ticking time bomb on both 1st, 2nd gens.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shearer
Making good power with these smaller motors is much less forgiving than what you guys are used to playing with as well. I see so many f-d up set-ups on this site that make decent power and the owners are happy. Put those same caliber parts on a 2L and it will most likely be a turd. There is no replacement for displacement, yet that displacement is a bandaid in many regards.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a difference between a toyota supra and a honda civic, believe it or not!

Quick Reply: Why don't imports have to "bulletproof" their engines for turbos?