Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

vortech v-2t vs v-1t

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortech v-2t vs v-1t

I have just upgraded my supercharger from a v-2sq to a t-trim. I was expecting a v-1t to turn up but got a v-2t instead. I have been trying to find out a bit about the v2 as there seems to be very little info around about them.
So far the 2 major differences seem to be the helical cut gears in the v2 and a slightly different internal gear ratio.
What i am trying to work out is the pros and cons of the 2 as well. I know the v2 is quieter but can it give the same performance as the v1. Also as i am running a crank driven gilmer drive i know of a few v2sq's in australia which couldnt handle this and destroyed themselves. Some people suggested it was the harmonics of the belt, it could of just been setup to i am not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Launching!

The V-2 T trim has a 3.62 step up and the V-1 T trim has a 3.45 step up. The V2 is built on there standard gear case. It is best used with a ribbed style belt 6, 8, 10. The V-1 T trim is built with a HD bearing case and can withstand a cog style belt.

Vortech only offers a upgrade to go from a V2 S or SC to a V2 T Trim. Since they are still using your gear case in the upgrade. That is why the cost is less than half of a new T trim.

I would not recommend running a cog style belt on a V2 gear case. A 8 rib drive would be your best route.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by YSILT1
The V-2 T trim has a 3.62 step up and the V-1 T trim has a 3.45 step up. The V2 is built on there standard gear case. It is best used with a ribbed style belt 6, 8, 10. The V-1 T trim is built with a HD bearing case and can withstand a cog style belt.

Vortech only offers a upgrade to go from a V2 S or SC to a V2 T Trim. Since they are still using your gear case in the upgrade. That is why the cost is less than half of a new T trim.

I would not recommend running a cog style belt on a V2 gear case. A 8 rib drive would be your best route.

Hope this helps.
Thanks that does help. Looks like the supplier either didnt listen or is trying to get rid of some of these units. They knew i was going to run a cog system as it was purchased through them as well and by the looks this unit is useless to me . Looks like i have some phonecalls to make next week.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Launching!

I have bought all three of my Vortechs from RMCR and they know there stuff. They have made me two cog drives and several one off parts. I am sure they could hook you up.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the V-2's are SQ, which means SuperQuiet. That's just on the gearbox side. On the compressor side they available in 3 or 4 trims, though I've never seen an E-trim or an SC-trim, with T-trim the highest performance.

And YSILT1 is correct on all counts - Vortech does not make any V-2 that they will rate as a HD unit (Heavy Duty, acceptable for cog use). In talking this over with some mechanical engineers at our local machine shop, they believe that the unit will handle HD levels of acceleration with a cog drive, but that the decceleration that a cog will demand would be what damaged the gearbox of the V-2. The helical gears used to make it quiet also generate forces that want to push and pull the gearbox input shaft in and out of its housing.

Jim
Old 02-22-2009, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DeltaT
All the V-2's are SQ, which means SuperQuiet. That's just on the gearbox side. On the compressor side they available in 3 or 4 trims, though I've never seen an E-trim or an SC-trim, with T-trim the highest performance.

And YSILT1 is correct on all counts - Vortech does not make any V-2 that they will rate as a HD unit (Heavy Duty, acceptable for cog use). In talking this over with some mechanical engineers at our local machine shop, they believe that the unit will handle HD levels of acceleration with a cog drive, but that the decceleration that a cog will demand would be what damaged the gearbox of the V-2. The helical gears used to make it quiet also generate forces that want to push and pull the gearbox input shaft in and out of its housing.

Jim
Thanks Jim,
Your explanation makes things a lot clearer I take it that the bearings on the gearbox input shaft are the ones which are vulnerable as they are going to get exposed to a fair bit of force on there side.

Hopefully the company who supplied the unit will take it back and i will get the v-1 t-trim i originally expected.

Quick Reply: vortech v-2t vs v-1t