Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSXtreme 2009 Updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSXtreme 2009 Updates

Well by all standards, the first year out for the car was fantastic. We far exceeded the expectations (see sig) of "mid-8's" on the "starter" motor. That motor was spec'd by Kurt Urban while he was at W2W, so why change?

Exactly....I'm not! Kurt Urban Performance is handling the design and build of this new combo as well. Kurt has been involved with everything I have done (4 motors to date) and the results speak for themselves.

It's not much to look at right now, but there is a lot of thought going into this build. Why? Because we are going to try get as close to 2000HP as we can with a Hydraulic roller! That's right Hydraulic...447 CU IN worth. I wanted to push the envelop before just jumping to solid. There are no plans to break ET/MPH records obviously. The goal is simple-reliability, consistancy, low maintenance at a very moderate cost.

Keep checking Kurt's site for future updates. Feel free to ask questions, I will answer as many as I can....or allowed to, lol.

http://site.kurturbanperformance.com...cid-lsx-engine

Mark

Last edited by BlwnTA; 02-23-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:10 PM
9 Second Club

kick ***!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree ^^^^^^

good luck guys
Old 02-23-2009, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

hell yes man!! but one thing how much is "very moderate cost."
Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

Really nice build and great times with the old setup.

Hope you don't mind a couple questions, strickty for my information. Kurt helped me spec out my LSX and bought my stuff from W2W as well. I am putting in a 106mm now, but I ditched the idea of staying Hydrolic with info passed on to me on how high I should be spinning up to. I'm also planning on ditching my Howards rods in place of Aluminum, so I'm very interested in your setup if I don't need to repalce all of it, it sounds hush/hush though .

Which Howard's rods, lifter's and springs are you using for the 2000 HP? What RPM are you spinning to with a Hydrolic setup and a 106mm.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 AM
9 Second Club

Mark cant wait to see this new set up. i talk to Kurt sounds like things are going well cant wait to go get my engine from him. it feels good to say MY engine now LOL let see some pics when you get time.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Looking good Mark....best of luck with the new setup
Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Really nice build and great times with the old setup.

Hope you don't mind a couple questions, strickty for my information. Kurt helped me spec out my LSX and bought my stuff from W2W as well. I am putting in a 106mm now, but I ditched the idea of staying Hydrolic with info passed on to me on how high I should be spinning up to. I'm also planning on ditching my Howards rods in place of Aluminum, so I'm very interested in your setup if I don't need to repalce all of it, it sounds hush/hush though .

Which Howard's rods, lifter's and springs are you using for the 2000 HP? What RPM are you spinning to with a Hydrolic setup and a 106mm.
Lifters have not totally been selected yet, but they are a lower cushion style lifter that will have either special guides or link bar. The springs will be shelf items that can handle about 200 on the seat and 450 open. Brian Tooley @ TEA has been working close with Kurt on the valvetrain due to Kurt's "double secret funny car" cam selection, lol. Not sure what I will spin it to, but 7500 was the max I shifted at last year. I ran just as quick shifting at 7200-7300 though. So I wll probably start low and experiment with what works best as far as shift points.

Last edited by BlwnTA; 02-24-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
Looking good Mark....best of luck with the new setup

Thanks Todd...you gonna grace us with your presence anywhere this year? Had a blast with you in Memphis last year.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:31 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great Mark!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
hell yes man!! but one thing how much is "very moderate cost."
You could put twice the money in a combo trying to do what we are. I guess I have been faced with a couple decisions were I opted for a little bit more cost, but it's certainly not out of control. Kurt is very good at recommending where the smart money is spent if it's a concern for a customer.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

curious to see how it all works out for you in 09...

I'm going the opposite way...staying small motor but going solid roller
Old 02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested to see how it will do with a 4.125 crank. Most people stick with the 4 to keep the compression height up. I'll be interested to see if it makes that much of a difference. What length rods are you running?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
curious to see how it all works out for you in 09...

I'm going the opposite way...staying small motor but going solid roller
Yep Brian you will be fast...I will end up there eventually. I just like a challenge of doing something different though. If it doesn't work out we'll make changes until it does. If it works......well...I want to see how many tenths a more expensive set-up has me by,lol. You know...where does one draw the line?...additional $5k for a couple tenths? I just want to know.

If I can run consistent 7.8x @ 185ish I will be thrilled. Especially since I have seen much more expensive set-ups going 7.50's-7.70's while being inconsistant on the track and with reliablility.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I'm interested to see how it will do with a 4.125 crank. Most people stick with the 4 to keep the compression height up. I'll be interested to see if it makes that much of a difference. What length rods are you running?

Yea...we'll see how well we can sling that crank, lol. Rods are 6.125"
Old 02-24-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlwnTA
Yep Brian you will be fast...I will end up there eventually. I just like a challenge of doing something different though. If it doesn't work out we'll make changes until it does. If it works......well...I want to see how many tenths a more expensive set-up has me by,lol. You know...where does one draw the line?...additional $5k for a couple tenths? I just want to know.

If I can run consistent 7.8x @ 185ish I will be thrilled. Especially since I have seen much more expensive set-ups going 7.50's-7.70's while being inconsistant on the track and with reliablility.
thats about the same kind of numbers we're lookin at this season since I'm staying with my "tiny" 98mm turbo...only gonna go so far with this little LS2 block I'll be mainly running 1/8 mile this year anyway...

You're probably pumping in much more money than I am...but IIRC, you're old crank was toast due to thrust failure right?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:09 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck with the program this year, if you need anything my phone is always on.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
thats about the same kind of numbers we're lookin at this season since I'm staying with my "tiny" 98mm turbo...only gonna go so far with this little LS2 block I'll be mainly running 1/8 mile this year anyway...

You're probably pumping in much more money than I am...but IIRC, you're old crank was toast due to thrust failure right?
That's cool...what are your 1/8 mile goals?

No the crank was not toast, it just needed some clean up and minor repair due to the thrust going away and me not checking it enough. I made it through 90-100 passes. In fact, the entire engine (minus dry sump) has been sold along with Kurt refreshing it for Tomz28. He's got a twin set-up that will make close to 1000HP on his street/strip car.

On the thrust issue, Kurt has a plan to help that. I also will be keeping a close eye on it this year.

As for money, I'm building a whole new engine so it probably is more than your spending. But with the sale of my old set-up it has kept it to a reasonable upgrade for what I'm doing. May switch to solid next year so the cost should be even more tolerable since alot of this set-up can be used again.

Last edited by BlwnTA; 02-24-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Good luck with the program this year, if you need anything my phone is always on.
Thanks Phil...it was a pleasure talking with you recently. Can't wait to see how your upgrades shake out....you should definitely be at the top of the heap in DR. Keep us posted!

Mark
Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlwnTA
That's cool...what are your 1/8 mile goals?

No the crank was not toast, it just needed some clean up and minor repair due to the thrust going away and me not checking it enough. I made it through 90-100 passes. In fact, the entire engine (minus dry sump) has been sold along with Kurt refreshing it for Tomz28. He's got a twin set-up that will make close to 1000HP on his street/strip car.

On the thrust issue, Kurt has a plan to help that. I also will be keeping a close eye on it this year.

As for money, I'm building a whole new engine so it probably is more than your spending. But with the sale of my old set-up it has kept it to a reasonable upgrade for what I'm doing. May switch to solid next year so the cost should be even more tolerable since alot of this set-up can be used again.
Gotcha...I was lucky and had zero thrust issue on mine...my thrust bearing looked brand new and stayed at .005" over the course of 40-45 runs

we have a 1/8 goal of 4.90s...figure everything needs to work right, but we think it can get there...

Quick Reply: LSXtreme 2009 Updates