Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New Procharger Support Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Procharger Support Bracket

I thought I had everything in place when I took my new setup to the dyno (new 408, F1, EPP FMIC, SDCE tesnioner, Nasty fuel system, etc). I knew my initial tune wasn't going to be perfect - my goal is 800rw & I only made a little over 700 - but it quit making power around 5k even tho we got the A/F dialed in.

Like all of us do when things don't work out I took the car home scratching my head & looking for answers. What I wasn't expecting to find was I bent my hex alum stand-offs that hold the S/C onto the motor.

So figuring that had to mean my F1 was flexing under load I made a new support bracket that ties the top of the ATI bracket to the motor (3 water pump & 1 head bolt hole) with steel stand-offs & grade 8 bolts. Before I could make the head unit move by pushing on it. Now it's rock solid!

I haven't gone back to dyno it yet, but it feels stronger playing on the street and it is making a little more boost. (not sure exactly how much, it's hard to watch that gauge when the ***-end of the car is dancing around at 90mph) If nothing else, the blower should stayed attached to the motor now!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails New Procharger Support Bracket-bracket-kit-sm.jpg   New Procharger Support Bracket-bracket-kit-2-sm.jpg   New Procharger Support Bracket-bracket-kit-3sm.jpg   New Procharger Support Bracket-bracket-kit-4sm.jpg   New Procharger Support Bracket-bracket-kit-5sm.jpg  

Old 02-25-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would have guessed that the bottom of the J bracket was flexing not the top?

Do you have pics of the bent stand offs?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

I can take one, but I doubt you can see it in a picture. I have an SDCE tensioner, which comes with a bracket to tie the outside of the S/C to the oil pan, and it still moved.

The way I looked at this was I have 2 main attach points that are more or less vertical (iron block issue). So make a triangle. But I see your point, the bottom is where it's moving. Adding support to that area would be difficult....
Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a beautiful piece of work, good job on that.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great fabrication of a bracket although I am going to agree with others I am running an F!R on my SDCE bracket and I haven't had it flex like you are talking about. Must be something with the iron block mounting points if there different. GL!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 PM
kp
8 Second Club

That bolt missing on an iron block makes a big difference, what you made should help a bunch.

Also make sure you have the small L shaped bracket on the back of the alternator - that ties the whole thing together as well.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

what about cost rate of bracket .
Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

You're dead-on KP...as usual. It's the missing 3rd mounting bolt that alum blocks have & iron blocks don't that is the issue. I was suprised it would still move with the additional support brace the SDCE comes with. But when you figure it takes 2-300hp to turn an F1.....I'll try to get a pic of the stand-off on a flat surface.

What scared me was a couple stories I heard where people actually broke their S/Cs off the motor (1000hp range cars).
Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
You're dead-on KP...as usual. It's the missing 3rd mounting bolt that alum blocks have & iron blocks don't that is the issue. I was suprised it would still move with the additional support brace the SDCE comes with. But when you figure it takes 2-300hp to turn an F1.....I'll try to get a pic of the stand-off on a flat surface.

What scared me was a couple stories I heard where people actually broke their S/Cs off the motor (1000hp range cars).
I seen one F1 break off an iron block, they also left the bracket off the rear of the alternator (thats why I menioned that) and it split both aluminum hex standoffs along with breaking the alternator and main alternator bracket.

A couple years ago I took put a video camera on the blower with a steel J bracket/SDCE/F1A and aluminum block at 7000rpm and I was amazed how much that bracket moved around. It looked like it was made of rubber, so I cant imagine losing that one bolt on an iron block how much it moves around. I dont know if it takes that much to drive one, hard to get a straight answer on it but its a lot and hard on the brackets thats for sure.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats the point of the MAF, and are you worried about your silicone hose popping under boost? How much boost are you pushing?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:04 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Aster
I agree, you did a great job! Bob
Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I agree, you did a great job! Bob
Thanks Bob! Not as sweet as your cog system! But I'd like to keep power steering and a rear bumper on my "street car".
Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aster
Thanks! I REALLY like your tensioner....sexy!!!

And I was lucky enough to not make the mistake of deleting that L bracket kp, in case you were wondering.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

so why havent you drilled/tapped the extra hole in the iron block yet? Its too easy to do and should be done on all iron blocks before they are installed.
Nice bracket, takes some ingenuity to implement extra blower bracing on these cars
Old 02-26-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

does the LSX race block have the 3rd hole needed for the procharger?

Looks like people need the steel bracket, sdce tensioner brace, (or aster's piece) plus this support bracket to combat flex when running the F series blowers.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grr
so why havent you drilled/tapped the extra hole in the iron block yet? Its too easy to do and should be done on all iron blocks before they are installed.
Nice bracket, takes some ingenuity to implement extra blower bracing on these cars
You can only drill / tap one hole, they are missing TWO. The top hole where the idler is & this bracket attaches to has no metal there, just the outside of Cyl #1. So you either live with it or do something like this. And I couldn't find anyone that had made one yet, so I did.

And thank you!!! It took me a while.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
does the LSX race block have the 3rd hole needed for the procharger?
yes the LSX block does.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

I looked ALL over the garage for the bent stand-off today. I must have thrown it away.

But at least while cleaning the garage I got inspired & finally installed my Madman offset LCAs & re-torqued my intake bolts....tommorow I'll try SD tuning the car so I can go get some more dyno #s & see how this bracket holds up.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Teching In

are you going to dyno down at marysville speed?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Not this time, we'll be going down to visit Nick & George at Turbo Tech in Tacoma. Not sure when it will tho....not tommorow.

Quick Reply: New Procharger Support Bracket