Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whos gone from Turbos to a Procharger??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

would you in theory be able to run more peak boost with a Centi. SC than a TT setup?? just thinking that the SC would build boost with RPM so at peak torque (and ppeak VE) you would nopt be at peak boost.....

Cheers

Chris.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Well I'm thinking about going F1C From STS TT Since mid low range is crappy with those Turbos.

Why not swap to a real turbo setup? I think the centrifugal setups are kind of annoying because peak boost= peak rpm and low end is pretty crappy also. The right sized turbos up front should spool very very well.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have both and have gotten this question a bunch, but with properly sized turbos the lag is really not there IMO. The S/c Car hits real hard right away so traction can be a problem even at high speeds. The turbos his slightly softer, but come on REAL strong fast and steady. I am usually hitting my boost setting by about 2800 etc... They are different the turbos have been a real PITA to get all the little things worked out. and the Procharger set up is just simple snd strait forward.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone who wants to go FASTER.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well I have both and have gotten this question a bunch, but with properly sized turbos the lag is really not there IMO. The S/c Car hits real hard right away so traction can be a problem even at high speeds. The turbos his slightly softer, but come on REAL strong fast and steady. I am usually hitting my boost setting by about 2800 etc... They are different the turbos have been a real PITA to get all the little things worked out. and the Procharger set up is just simple snd strait forward.
Nice thing about turbos is you can easily turn down the boost in the lower gears so you don't light the tires like a supercharged car and just go by the pulley. I agree that turbos can be a pain in the ***, but I think its worth the effort. YMMV as usual.

But like inspector12 says- properly sized turbos won't lag much if any. (that includes properly placed turbos I believe) And those are some nice cars in your sig =)
Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

I hit peak boost around 2800 rpms and hold it to redline. Much better power band than a centrifical supercharger.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

Maybe you should look at changing the converter or something if the car doesn't hit as hard as you would like it. Whose TT kit is that?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremym
I wouldnt say TT are weak down low. My friends aps standard TT kit on a 370ci makes 850rwhp around 3100 RPM and 944twtq around 3500 RPM. That is why I bought the APS Large TT kit for a big cube motor.
3000 and up where the turbos boost hit, the power is awesome but Im talking below 3000 where I spend most of my time doing regular driving.
Im curious to see if a procharged setup would make below 3000 more fun.
From a dead stop mine is a dog till it hits 3000 and then instantly it blows the tires off. Like I said, mid range and top end power is crazy, I love it. But Im willing to sacrifce some mid range and get my low end back.

Last edited by 30th t/a; 03-03-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Maybe you should look at changing the converter or something if the car doesn't hit as hard as you would like it. Whose TT kit is that?
Its a ex sponsors (turbo zone) kit I bought it off of Superman09.
The turbos hit like you just got rearended by a cement truck, at 3000.

I see alot of people saying they dont notice much lag with turbos have 402s & 408's. Big cubes is going to help out alot down low. I was planning on staying with the 347.

Last edited by 30th t/a; 03-03-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jeremym
I wouldnt say TT are weak down low. My friends aps standard TT kit on a 370ci makes 850rwhp around 3100 RPM and 944twtq around 3500 RPM. That is why I bought the APS Large TT kit for a big cube motor.
Any results on the APS extreme kit yet? I'm waiting on mine to get done as we speak.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Its a ex sponsors (turbo zone) kit I bought it off of Superman09.
The turbos hit like you just got rearended by a cement truck, at 3000.

I see alot of people saying they dont notice much lag with turbos have 402s & 408's. Big cubes is going to help out alot down low. I was planning on staying with the 347.
You should come for a ride in my kb vette when its done in a few months i think that will change your idea of twin screw blowers and put it at the forefront. Can you say 1000rwtq at 1800 rpms
Old 03-03-2009, 02:21 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike75356
You should come for a ride in my kb vette when its done in a few months i think that will change your idea of twin screw blowers and put it at the forefront. Can you say 1000rwtq at 1800 rpms
Thats going to be a no traction getting car lol! But I guess fun trying to.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

But one more thing you can pulley a pro charger or any other belt driven S/C to come on sooner etc... but the down side is it might be making a lot more boost up top than you are wanting or able to take mechanically speaking LOL! You can put a boost controller on one to keep the boost down, but that is kinda getting a little pricey and well inefficient. What cam are you running. A blower should make the same power cure just on steroids basicly so maybe something with you setup is keeping you from making any real low end etc...Just some food for thought and debate LOL!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since you already have the turbo kit, try to do a couple of small changes so it will suit your needs a little more. How much compression are you running? If its below 9:1, you might consider raising it some.

Last edited by Jimmy P; 03-04-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike75356
I would LOVE to have a KB or whipple but they dont make them for a Fbody and a Magnuson only gets you to 500-550.

Im running a 02 LS6 cam and my CR is 8.6:1 and I know that hurts the low end but is great for 93 octane.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

I ran a much bigger converter when I had the YSi, my converter was at least a 4500. When I launched off the transbrake I was in boost.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First yeah if you go too big on the turbos they can get laggy. If you are in a higher gear say third in town or fifth or sixth then simply gear down and you should be in boost pretty much right away.If you are m6, But autos still kick down and should get it boosting quickly as well. Going up thru the gears then again you can get more lag. Off the line you have things like two steps or antilag. But smaller twins definitely should give less lag and quicker spool up than big singles.

I think compression can help a bit. I have 9.5 to 1 and its no big deal with premium 94.I will run alc injection also.
A bigger displacement engine really helps ,408 or 402 a lot more power down low and spin up the turbos quicker as well. And tuning can help spool up. Too rich and it will spool slow and you can try out some different timing strategies, more timing down low especially off boost helps some guys neuter there timimg really badly all the range. And then there is gears and stall. I see many guys going to really low gearing..3.08, even under 3.08. That is not the most fun for low driiving around especially off boost bottom end.

From my personal experience my car seems to have more than enough bottom with the built 408 even though went to afr 225 should have maybe went with afr 205 especially if had a 346. I have the stock 3.42 gears and m6 still. Zero complaints. If anything the turbos spin up too fast and too low on the rpm band.

Agree also the roots or twin screw are pretty great. The twin screw sound ideal ,mega bottom end torque really low and good top end. The magnason a bit weaker on top end but great down low. Too much down low can suck too if you can't hook things up.

I have driven a d1sc car and ridden in a p1sc. And of course my 99 ta is turbo and have been in a sts turbo lt1 and ls1. I prefer my twin tt to a procharger. The procharged car impressed me in the top end. I have been in a procharged lt1 as well. It also was pretty impressive up top when of course it was at full boost. But the turbos were much more impressive going up thru the gears around town. Hit boost at 3000 or so on a bigger cube engine or smaller turbos and hold it to redline. Much much better area under the curve compared to any centrifical and more efficient.

And while a twin screw or mag looks sweet not sure all that torque so low would always be useful. I have owned one monster big block roots blower chevy in the past. Think was a torque monster for sure down low and it had the power.And it sure had the looks.

And still not really buying this procharger is so simple turbo isn't. Why is the turbo so complicated. Because you need to run water lines or oil drains or oil feed. They were simple as pie to do with the pan off.And the ls1 already has oil feed where the oil cooler fitting is just drill and tap it out. And water lines are easy to take off block and head.
Both procharger and good turbo use intercooler. Turbo does need as said for sure oil cooling some don't need water. And supers used belts and buddies have had belt slippage issues.
And so far see no problems tuning my turbo car myself with hptuners and soon 3 bar speed density.

Anyway its personal taste and the prochargers do seem to do great at the track where you can launch at high rpm to help them stay closer to their max boost.

I like all the FI stuff..roots,twin screw, turbos, centrificals ,nitrous..all fun in their own ways.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
I would LOVE to have a KB or whipple but they dont make them for a Fbody and a Magnuson only gets you to 500-550.

Im running a 02 LS6 cam and my CR is 8.6:1 and I know that hurts the low end but is great for 93 octane.
Well....i would love to run a KB...but heres the email I got a email back from them today. I asked them when a twin screw big bore kit be available for L92 / LS3 applications (truck, F body or Vette Accessory drive compatible, im putting it in my chevelle so i can match the Accessory drive to whatever they got available). Their website says "05-"09 Vette coming soon!"

HERES OUR ANSWER.....I GUESS THIS IS WHY NOBODYS RUNNING KB!

Jerry,

We don't have an LS3/L92 compatible setup, we haven't really gotten very far with our C6 kit because of the work we're doing with the Challenger. In addition to that there's no way we could know for sure what the spacing needs to be to make up the difference between the Corvette setup and the trucks. I realize the site says that but it's going to be a while. We won't get back onto the Corvette until the Challenger is done and that's probably not going to be until this summer. We don't have any setups even for "Tuner" kits and Jim wouldn't let any go out to door at this stage in the R&D process regardless. We have nothing for your truck, we have discontinued all GM truck kits, and we don't plan on doing any new truck kits now or in the future. Even when we get our LS3 C6 kit done we won't change the drive length for you, kits are made for the vehicle intended and any attempt to use them on a different application will void all warranties and no tech support can be provided.

TJ Sico
Kenne Bell
Technical Support
TJ@KenneBell.net

OH WELL.......Guess im going turbo like i originally planned!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
Any results on the APS extreme kit yet? I'm waiting on mine to get done as we speak.
No. Mine wont be ready for about 3 months. I am waiting for some one with this kit to show some dyno #'s. But could not find any body. Please post when yours is running. I am using the TFS 235cc heads. These should be good the way the intake/exhaust flow.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you looked into a quick spool vavle?? i THINK zombie has one on his rear mounted SX80 turboed car. alternatively try a smaller hosuing and see if you cant get spool lower.

just thinking this might be cheaper than trying to sell the kit and buying the procharger......

Chris.

Quick Reply: Whos gone from Turbos to a Procharger??