Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

boost psi vs head flow for 427

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
a BOV or BPV, or anti-surge, etc. is not be open when ur at WOT tho... They are vacuum actuated, so under boost, they arent gonna be releasing any pressure.
Yes ....cause its still got somewhere to go.... through the motor...or trying to anyways
Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it has to all be going into the motor. Where else would it go? That is what my point it. Now I'm not saying it won't hit a HP asymptote at some point due to excess heat and other similar factors, but my point is, if the blower is cranking out X amount of cfm, the motor is consuming that same X amount of cfm.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Well it has to all be going into the motor. Where else would it go? That is what my point it. Now I'm not saying it won't hit a HP asymptote at some point due to excess heat and other similar factors, but my point is, if the blower is cranking out X amount of cfm, the motor is consuming that same X amount of cfm.
Really that could be.....I just saying I know that the "just turn it up theory" doesn't all ways work and just because you can acheve more psi don't mean more power as a result of more boost.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

what ever you try to force into the cylinder , you first have to get the 'fired charge" out first...
the engine is an "air pump"
the better the head flow ( ie; sbc 15* head is better flowing than 23 * head)

Now,
since the exhaust flow is @ temperature, and less dense , and higher pressure, it flows out quicker...
if the engine is badly designed , or has inheriate back pressure problems , your not going to get ALL the previous fired charge out...

example:
you have a open top stainless beer keg ( that you drank the beer last nite with you mates...)
put a 3/4 garden hose in the top....
the 1/2 tap at the bottom , turn on full...
what happens ??
the beer keg over flows..

change the 3/4 hose filling it , to 3/8 hose,...
you will never over fill the keg...
the keg now has equal or better flow OUT , than in...
this is a simiplied example only, and complex fluid dynamics is more intense..

design the engine to flow in AND out ,
you get more "clean" air ( read boost) into cylinder,
and therefore you can put more fuel in , to match up required air / fuel ratio
equals
more power...

As mentioned before, more air flow , with LESS heat gain from compression ( boost) , the air is more dense, etc,etc..

From my R & D
355 cubes , OEM 882 iron heads , ( 1.9 IN & 1.5 EX) @ 35 PSI with twin 61mm turbonetics my car went 4.7 @ 156 1/8mile

the newer 23 deg heads ( dart pro 1 , with 2.1 In & 1.6 EX) , @ 18 psi , with twin 66mm turbonetics , car went 5.0 @ 155 mph 1/8 mile...

same cam , same turbines, same turbine housing , same converter , same car ....etc,etc

better head flow , requires LESS boost to put out simular power
the engine is FLOWING more air , with less pressure behind it ( less boost)

Basicly,
get the air in and out , with least restrictions..

cheers
ash

Last edited by crashly; 03-12-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crashly

From my R & D
355 cubes , OEM 882 iron heads , ( 1.9 IN & 1.5 EX) @ 35 PSI with twin 61mm turbonetics my car went 4.7 @ 156 1/8mile

the newer 23 deg heads ( dart pro 1 , with 2.1 In & 1.6 EX) , @ 18 psi , with twin 66mm turbonetics , car went 5.0 @ 155 mph 1/8 mile...

same cam , same turbines, same turbine housing , same converter , same car ....etc,etc

better head flow , requires LESS boost to put out simular power
the engine is FLOWING more air , with less pressure behind it ( less boost)

Basicly,
get the air in and out , with least restrictions..

cheers
ash
i would say going from a 61mm to 66 mm turbo made more of a differemce than the cylinderheads alone.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by topend
i would say going from a 61mm to 66 mm turbo made more of a differemce than the cylinderheads alone.
no...
Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I suppose then it would depend equally on the type/efficiency of the forced induction and the design and efficiency of the heads on the 427 as to which will cause the "HP asymptote" first. -I'm assuming the the "HP asymptote" is inevitable at some point in the rpm. Keeping the charge temp as low as possible, highest octane fuel, and higher f/a ratios being other factors.
I guess the op question would need to be qualified with a better description of the parts he intended to use. I'm curious as well.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:59 AM
Launching!

@crashly :

At what rpms did these different combo's have their max power ?
and do you perhaps have 2 dyno sheets showing the different combo's ?

And did you use a shorter gearratio for the lower boosted (=more rpm ?) setup ?

just to see how much your combo would apply to my previous post.

Last edited by jeejee; 03-13-2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-13-2009, 04:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jeejee
@crashly :

At what rpms did these different combo's have their max power ?
and do you perhaps have 2 dyno sheets showing the different combo's ?

And did you use a shorter gearratio for the lower boosted (=more rpm ?) setup ?

just to see how much your combo would apply to my previous post.

jeejee:
max power @ 6100 / max torq @ 5300 ish rpm
race rpms where, 4400 laurnch , 6200 shift, 6700 ish finnish line

dyno sheet for first engine only, then used the '1320' dyno....
second combo , only the '1320' dyno

no, same gears, same car, same p/g, same tyres...etc

heads:
882 chev irons , 166 cc intake , 1.9 intake valve VS dart pro 1 238cc intake ,2.1 intake valve
Old 03-13-2009, 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

AHA , so that is y thye do porting and poleshibng on the heads
Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting thread. I'd like to expound upon a few things...

Head flow is in cfm, or cubic ft/min. That is a volumetric flow rate, not a mass flow rate. Mass flow is what makes power, whereas volumetric flow rate is what relates to frictional losses. When you use forced induction, you increase the density, hence more mass per unit volume. The gas velocity in the head may not actually change much. It's like putting twice as many people in the hallway, but they all walk the same speed as before. So, a head that flows 350 cfm at ~1 psi dP (flowbench) will still flow 350 cfm at ~1 psi dP and 15 psi boost, but since there will be double the lb/cubic ft, then the mass flow rate will double.

That said, I think it's worth noting that head flow in cfm is a pretty terrible way to measure frictional flow losses in the port for the very reason that some are getting confused in this thread. First off, it's measured at ~1 psi dP. Who says we want 1 psi dP? I want as close to 0 as possible. Next, there will be some point that more cfm at 1 psi dP simply isn't needed. For instance, most might think that a 700 cfm head flows twice as a 350 cfm head. While that is true at 1 psi dP, your engine will not hold the dP constant when the head flow increases. Your goal is to reduce the dP, which would result in the highest pressure in the cylinder.

To further explain my point, if you have a 305 TBI head (160 cfm) on a 427 and run it at 7000 rpm, then you might find 5 psi of dP across the intake port. Install a set of ported LS7 heads (400 cfm), and the dP across the intake port drops might drop to 0.5 psi. Install a set of hypothetical 500 cfm heads, and the dP across the port may only drop to 0.4 psi. There are definitely diminishing returns as head flow rises, not to mention the loss in inertial effects caused by large cross-sections.

In any other industry, flow losses are expressed as a pressure drop coefficient. Not quite as good, but certainly more intuitive, would be to express head flow as a dP at a constant cfm.

Mike

Last edited by engineermike; 03-13-2009 at 09:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
_Jimbo_ (01-12-2023)
Old 03-13-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Engineermike thank you for explaining. It that way I see where I was confused at with my thinking.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Engineermike, just for clarification... what is dP?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire67
what is dP?
Thanks, guys.

dP = delta pressure

In other words, dP is pressure in the plenum minus pressure in the cylinder. This is the pressure that causes flow through the runner and port itself. You want this to be as low as possible, even though flowbench testing is done at 1 psi dP.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I was thinking it was a difference number of some sort, but couldnt be sure. Thanks for clearing that up, you explanation in post 51 makes perfect sense now.

Quick Reply: boost psi vs head flow for 427