Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Thrust bearing worn? what causes it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
psi is too high. It will/can cause this very problem. There are several cures for this.
Here's but 1 thread about this problem. Several of the tranny builders have thier own methods.. This is the 1 I use, from Don ****.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tra...t-bearing.html

Also:
http://www.artcarr.com/page/news/1.acpp
A Google will provide enough reading material to keep one busy for many hours!
Thanks for the post some good reading there.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if this will help but......My buddy has a 67 chevelle with a 400 small block and a turbo 400 trans. He had this happen to him 2 different times. He too thought it had something to do with the turbo 400. He has since then installed a 4 speed, and had the same problem for the 3rd time! So convinced it was not the trans, he pulled his motor apart and did some reading. he talked to a few engine builders and discovered he was not alone with this problem. It turned out to be a flaw in his Eagle crank. Apparently they do not polish the thrust face, and if you rub your finger across it you would think it was sand paper. That was what was eating his thrust bearing. What crank are you using?

Troy
Old 03-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by badass99ss
Don't know if this will help but......My buddy has a 67 chevelle with a 400 small block and a turbo 400 trans. He had this happen to him 2 different times. He too thought it had something to do with the turbo 400. He has since then installed a 4 speed, and had the same problem for the 3rd time! So convinced it was not the trans, he pulled his motor apart and did some reading. he talked to a few engine builders and discovered he was not alone with this problem. It turned out to be a flaw in his Eagle crank. Apparently they do not polish the thrust face, and if you rub your finger across it you would think it was sand paper. That was what was eating his thrust bearing. What crank are you using?

Troy
stock ls1
Old 03-14-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badass99ss

Troy

the stuff we are referring to is pretty specifc to turbo cars and relatively long times up on the brake to build boost. If a N/A car is eating thrust then yes, its something probably totally unrelated to the tranny...
Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
thanks

the trans builder said the converter was not ballooned. what could cause this to happen. can the converter get pushed and not balloon?
You need to check the gap between your converter and flywheel. You might have too much play causing your converter to push against your crankshaft.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Worm Boy
You need to check the gap between your converter and flywheel. You might have too much play causing your converter to push against your crankshaft.
did you mean too little clearance? or too much gaP

thank you
Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was impressed with this idea from the art carr link that was posted on the first page. I was assembling my enging this weekend and made this modification to my bearing.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:24 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Slotting the rear side of the bearing helps, there are about 4-6 things you can do to make it happy. Flexplate choice is an important one.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Slotting the rear side of the bearing helps, there are about 4-6 things you can do to make it happy. Flexplate choice is an important one.
what flex plate choices are there. im running a hughes. i thought it was ok.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
what flex plate choices are there. im running a hughes. i thought it was ok.
Most guys have found running cheap sfi flex plates works well since they will actually flex some. I didn't read through all the replies but I would also check your converter pump spacing and tranny cooler line pressure.

Quick Reply: Thrust bearing worn? what causes it.