Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Billet tensioner with a centri?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:12 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Billet tensioner with a centri?

How come I dont see this available anywhere? Am I missing something here? I would figure this would solve a lot of slippage problems much easier than going up in pulley ribs? Something like a Katech billet tensioner instead of the spring loaded piece.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where you place the tension is very important. Keeping it near the pulleys will result in more belt wrap and help prevent belt slip.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I understand that its not the location that I dont get its why all the kits use a spring loaded tensioner and I see tons of threads about belt slippage? It seems kinda simple to ditch the spring loaded piece in favor of a "torque to spec" tensioner known as a billet tensioner. I dont see why one couldn't be used and it would allow you to snug the belt up German spec "guttentight"

Only thing I can think of is maybe on decel the belt needs to slack or have give or? Enlighten us if anyone knows
Old 03-14-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It has been my experiance that the belt grows with RPM, the spring type will follow it as it revs up and keep the belt tension correct. The fixed style will need to be overtightened at rest to be tight at full rpm resulting in undue wear on components from the overtightened belt. Adding a heavier spring in the tensioner can help with belt slip in SC applications, but staying with the spring loaded style will probably give you the best results.

Kurt
Old 03-14-2009, 11:18 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Hmmm yes I understand belt ballooning I'm a former snowmobile racer and belt issues are rampant in the centrifugal clutch system. The trick was to keep tension as high as possible without blowing the belt up which we acheived with all sorts of mods, special helix, ramps, weights, springs and on and on.

Anyways totally off topic there and not that relevant in this issue but I wonder how much excessive wear would result from having the belt a little tighter vs the trade off from dealing with the slippage/tension issues and whatnot. I guess theres only one way to find out and that would be to try it.

Mind you taking advice from the experienced here is likely the smarter thing to start with. Out of curiosity whats the typical life span of most centri chargers before they need a rebuild? Thanks Kurt