Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo or procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default turbo or procharger?

Im inbetween these 2 for my car. I still havent bought anything yet so im still open. Its between a single t88 or a procharger (f1c/f1r). What advantages will one have other the other. My goals are a borderline street car/drag car. Max power output, not my DD. Right now its a stock bottomend lq4 w/ PRC springs vic jr FI intake etc. Everything is ready for a built bottom end, Just want to get this unit first and get the car running before i do the bottom end.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be rude but- do a search. There are endless threads comparing Turbos to Superchargers. In the end, it all comes down to preference. Both will make great power.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo , the power potential is endless, and with a iron block also, you could make 1200+ hp. I think i read on here, that you would need a LSX block for 1500hp or more. What I like most about turbos is the more you load them, the harder they push, as appose to a procharger whos power is dictated by rpm. Neither choice is bad, Im just partial to free power, plus my set up is a dd, so i get great fuel economy. She 's also whisper quiet, so i get to sneek up on, and suprise my victims lol
Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 PM
8 Second Club

supercharger is limited boost. turbo- you limit your boost. just my opinion.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
Not to be rude but- do a search. There are endless threads comparing Turbos to Superchargers. In the end, it all comes down to preference. Both will make great power.
Quick hyjack of thread - can't wait to see more info on your rx! I think you said April was the reveal?

For orginal poster, check out this link:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...et-driver.html

Search should return lots of other info as well.

Back to regular scheduled programming...
Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been in procharged ls1. Been in procharged lt1. Been in couple of rear mount lt1 and ls1 cars. I have several other turbo cars. My car is twin turbo. I still might get a procharger for my 96z at some point in time.
As said they both work well especially at the track. I like driving the turbo a bit more on the street..way more power and torque under the curve. Procharger was maybe a bit easier to hook up though as they build boost with rpm.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by will01
Quick hyjack of thread - can't wait to see more info on your rx! I think you said April was the reveal?
Made some changes to the setup to go bigger so I'm looking at july before she comes to life. I'll post a build thread before then- I won't leave ya hanging that long.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:17 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote procharger. I've listed my reasons here in this forum a ton of times.. try a search man
Old 03-20-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I vote procharger. I've listed my reasons here in this forum a ton of times.. try a search man
+ 2 on the procharger - I have the D1SC and it is a good mix of street driveabilty and scalable enough to up the boost to go racing
Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

PROCHARGER>enough said.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

procharger
Old 03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tried two different turbo systems now I got my F1, my only regret is i shouldve done the blower WAY sooner. Drive the car every day now with the biggest smile on my face, but damn I wasted tons of $$$ on turbos. they both have their advantages, I was looking for everything you are but with being able to drive everyday with very little tinkering.
and check out the #'s guys are making with prochargers they are right there with turbos
Old 03-20-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Properly done and both systems will get you more than enough horses.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

my vote goes for procharger just because of simplicity. both forms of f/i will require some work but i believe turbos require a lot more to get them running.

also, consider availability, for a turbo you will either have to fab up a kit, or buy a kit and pray it shows up in a couple months. for a procharger, you could pick up the phone call one of the many procharger dealers and order the kit and youll be ready to roll.

turbos will make more power, they can be bad mother ******* but you have to work at it.

good luck on your decision and bottom line, your car is going to be a whole lot faster!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

procharger
Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

both.... im just kidding id do the procharger but i did see a newer thread on here of a guy doing both, pretty cool i guess. but yeah the procharger is not hard to hook up. couple buddies have done it around me and they said it was easy. the only down fall on these are not being able to run a boost controller. theres a few guys on here running it off the wastegate im pretty sure but youd have to check into that. so are you located in the burbs of in the city? im from too too
Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SELLSZ06
tried two different turbo systems now I got my F1, my only regret is i shouldve done the blower WAY sooner. Drive the car every day now with the biggest smile on my face, but damn I wasted tons of $$$ on turbos. they both have their advantages, I was looking for everything you are but with being able to drive everyday with very little tinkering.
and check out the #'s guys are making with prochargers they are right there with turbos

While procharger might have same peak numbers for hp they a not going to give anywhere near the area under the curve of a turbo system. You can not simply dial up the boost for less or more power, ramp it in with rpm or gear to help with traction or if you simply want the car to be more controllable ,faster or slower depending on circumstances. Like run say 7 psi on street and 15psi on track simply with push of a botton no pulley change.

Prochargers have belts and are self contained for oil but the oil still requires changing and seems some still have belt slippage issues. Turbos have no belts or oil changes needed but you do have to hook up oil and sometimes water lines on initial installation. Some turbos do use scavenger pumps some use simpler gravity feed.

Can't see this turbos are not as reliable crap... millions of factory cars ,semis and trucks run turbos daily for hundreds of thousands of miles. Turbos are way way more common than superchargers. Both at higher boost levels use intercoolers normally and really only a bit more piping for hotside ,simple as pie on a quality aftermarket kit ,my kit uses very similar to factory exhausts, spark plug access is good and it keeps the air conditioning and barely required relocation of anything..a new coolant return reservoir and windshield washer tank..battery is in original location and so is alternator. Air as said is untouched in original location.
Tuning...not that hard to tune for turbos.retard timing from stock levels, set up a reasonable afr, go to speed density at higher boost levels usually.
again if turbos were so complicated why are they the preferred choice for so many trucks,semis and factory cars?

And yes have been in two ati procharged lt1 p1sc and ls1 D1 cars. And prochargers are not cheap anymore either.Well over 6grand nowadays. My twin kit was 5500 shipped when I got it. Had to get bmr k member though and hooker yipe so that added a bit extra to price.

Also not many are mentioning sound.I like the sound of turbos more than procharger. f16 sound whine. And not a big fan of the gear noise at idle that most centrificals I have heard make.
Still as said might get a procharger likely used kit for my 96z just to have something different.

Quick Reply: turbo or procharger?