Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

When do you start building boost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Do you just use the scanner and the time displayed by the frames to calculate the time?
That's exactly how I do it.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am at full boost (12lbs) by 3000rpms. I think it starts at around 2500 or so. I can't remember exactly when it starts, I haven't driven it in over a month.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Pte GT4276 with too big of a ar. 1.12... I am also a 6 spd car for now. I would say it starts bulding boost 2800 ish, i see 1-3 psi, and i have full boost by 3300-3500. That was only running 6 psi. This is just trying to watch boost gauge and tach, nothing real accurate.

Chris
Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by H21surfer
Well if both of us are running 10psi, and you do not make 10psi until redline, and I make that at around 3K... I would say that the turbo makes boost faster.
The turbo does make boost faster, but also when you're making no boost at 2k the blower is. It's all give and take.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

For the most part,,,,,, its ALL in the set up.

any FI motor can build boost instantly, or have "lag"

its all in the combination.

Had a friend with a D1 procharger on a stock mustang. would start at 1 lb and climb to redline and made 13psi total. But the boost took the whoooole band to build.

Other friend had a 91mm on a stock trans am.........STARTED making boost at 4,000 and peaked at 5 psi at 6,500. HORRIBLE lag.

both had the wrong setup, both wouldnt listen, BOTH were slow
Old 03-25-2009, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
This is just trying to watch boost gauge and tach, nothing real accurate.

Chris
Try comparing the tach against a scan gauge stock tach is way off lol
Old 03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

most street cars can't utilize full boost below 2500rpms without slicks, so while i agree that it is a give and take deal with turbos vs superchargers not only do you get a far stronger/wider powerband from a properly setup turbo car but it comes on in a manner thats useable for other than just destroying tires. Most street cars on street tires can benefit a great deal from a little bit of lag to allow the car to build sufficient wheel speed/momentum prior to the introduction of full hp and tq! But im bias, thats why i have two turbos lol
Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I guess to be more accurately represented here, we'd have to stipulate some conditions so it would be an 'apples to apples' evaluation.

Context one: Six speeds
a. Imagine idling next to a police officer at a stoplight and the officer is dying to give you at ticket. IE: you're behaving. The light changes and you slowly let out the clutch so you're not doing a sidestep of the clutch pedal at 6,000RPM. As your car begins to move, to your relief, the cop quickly turns right and takes off, having seen a donut shop with an empty parking space. You look at your boost gauge and Tach and stomp the gas pedal. At what RPM did it go into boost?
b. You're on the freeway, no one close either in front or behind. You downshift to 4th and slow down to 45mph and hold the RPM steady at that MPH. You look at the Boost gauge and Tach and stomp the gas. At what RPM did it go into boost?

Context 2: Automatics
a. No foot breaking. Just idling.... then, watching the Boost and Tach, stomp the gas. At what RPM did it go into boost?

b. Of course, because auto's downshift on a rolling stomp, I don't even think this one is worth noting. It's going into boost right away.

My M6 with 26" tall Nitto DR's and 4.10 gears is well into boost at 3K. I really need someone in the car to watch the gauges or get some kind of data logging because I don't want to even look at anything but the road when my car starts flying.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
I guess to be more accurately represented here, we'd have to stipulate some conditions so it would be an 'apples to apples' evaluation.

a. Imagine idling next to a police officer at a stoplight and the officer is dying to give you at ticket. IE: you're behaving. The light changes and you slowly let out the clutch so you're not doing a sidestep of the clutch pedal at 6,000RPM. As your car begins to move, to your relief, the cop quickly turns right and takes off, having seen a donut shop with an empty parking space. You look at your boost gauge and Tach and stomp the gas pedal. At what RPM did it go into boost?
b. You're on the freeway, no one close either in front or behind. You downshift to 4th and slow down to 45mph and hold the RPM steady at that MPH. You look at the Boost gauge and Tach and stomp the gas. At what RPM did it go into boost?

a. No foot breaking. Just idling.... then, watching the Boost and Tach, stomp the gas. At what RPM did it go into boost?

b. Of course, because auto's downshift on a rolling stomp, I don't even think this one is worth noting. It's going into boost right away.

My M6 with 26" tall Nitto DR's and 4.10 gears is well into boost at 3K. I really need someone in the car to watch the gauges or get some kind of data logging because I don't want to even look at anything but the road when my car starts flying.
your B sample is only viable for cars that are automatically shifted...MVB's/RMVB's don't down shift

Chad
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Thankyou.I was going to say almost the same thing.When comparing when a car gets into boost or lag, you dont compare cars at a high rpm.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Read my post about the futility of measuring by rpm on a stalled auto, you can't measure by RPM since rpms are based on the converter.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Im pretty sure if i altered my setup a bit i could lower the RPM at which she sees boost, but it would be pointless. I would eat my tires alive. LIke i said b4 most street cars on street tires can not handle full hp and tq directly off idle.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

true, most but a properly setup car is, which mine is.

so i CAN make the statement that off idle, i can floor it and before you you can think about the word boost its on ten pounds, and hooked. (not directed at you)

but yes your right, 9 out of 10 cars cant take full boost at anything below3 or its a smoke show
Old 03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by SD99TA214
true, most but a properly setup car is, which mine is.

so i CAN make the statement that off idle, i can floor it and before you you can think about the word boost its on ten pounds, and hooked. (not directed at you)

but yes your right, 9 out of 10 cars cant take full boost at anything below3 or its a smoke show
Is your sig this amazing setup? a stock shortblock car with 317's,and an F11 cam making less than 500rwhp?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol yes it is, its not the dyno numbers that matter as i am no "DYNO QUEEN"
running around town trying to find the dyno that will give me and my buddies some pretty sheets to go bragging about.

ALL i care about is beating the person next to me.

so ya my STOCK short block f 11 317 headed turbo motor is the "amazing" setup im talking about. BUT you have no idea what Wieght ,Gear ratio, Suspension, Transmission ,Shift points, and Converter im runnig as ALL that matters.

Just ask the guys with the 890 rwhp cobras in the KOTS compitition this last month in the newest mustang magazines that ran....12'S through the quarter!!!!!!!! LOL

OH sorry
Old 03-27-2009, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

ok then,how about some real data.....not, "i can floor it and before you can think about the word boost its on ten pounds".So how much boost are you making at 1500rpms when idling?2000?I dont care what Wieght ,Gear ratio, Suspension, Transmission ,Shift points, and Converter youre running.

What I do know is you have a stock shortblock setup so youre not running much more than 10psi.Unless you ran a setup that would be rediculously stupid to drive on the street, you're not going to make much of anything in the way of boost before 2500rpms.You have a centri blower car,ie making max boost at near redline.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

valid questions.
cant answer because i have a 3600 vig, so cant tell you how much boost i make at 1500 or 200 rpms, like those numbers matter anyway.

so YES i make boost instantly, and im not the only one. Theres Plenty of people out there that do.

And yes your converter and gears DEFINATLY matter as to how and when boost comes in, timing and AFR also matter on the ramp speed.

your right though, not much more then ten psi. by tonight ill be on 14 but thats only good for what 80more hp if im lucky lol.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hope all this isnt refering to my "off idle" statement.

LOL i meant at idle when i stomp it it flashes my 3600 converter and im on full boost, to me thats "instant" i didnt mean at 1000 rpm i can make full boost or any for that matter LOL
Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

thats better.thank you for clarifying.thats what most of this thread was about,ie leaving a stoplight at idle and hit it and see what your boost threshold is
Old 03-27-2009, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

LMAO So like i said "i could lower the RPM at which she sees boost, but it would be pointless. I would eat my tires alive."

Quick Reply: When do you start building boost?