Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Alt relocation problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alt relocation problems!!!

Hello all...
I have finally started my car after a few months of a turbo build... I purschased the ls1 speed alt relocation bracket, which I heard was the best with no problems. Well Im having nothing but belt issues... The ac has been deleted so the only thing left is crank pulley, powersteering, and the alt relocation bracket.... I have tightened and checked everything on this bracket about 400 times... I can not figure out what the prob is... The belt keeps popping off... Does anyone have any ideas??
Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

How tight is the best and how much adjustment is left? If you're out of adjustment you may need a 1/2" shorter belt. I just got the same kit but haven't got to put it on yet. I need to change my return line off my fuel rail. Which wire did you tape into with the plug they supplied?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are using the stock tensioner, it may be worn out. Check it for front to back play.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
If you are using the stock tensioner, it may be worn out. Check it for front to back play.
Pretty sure the alternator is the tensioner on their kit. The bracket is slotted to tension the belt.

To the OP, I would check belt alignment with a belt alignment laser to make sure everything is straight. I would also check the crank pulley to make sure it is seated all of the way on the crank.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 PM

i can tell you i have that kit on my car and so do a few buddies and its the ****!

you sure the belt is not to loose? it has to be short enough where you will have a hard time getting it on the alternator.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

The belt is more than tight enough.... I guess im going to have to check the alignment and see how that goes... Its my luck to get the one that does not work... The reason I bought this setup was because all the good things I have heard about it... The thing that kinda sucks is speed inc is not really offering help other than all ours have worked perfect
Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Restricted User

Pictures?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2002RamAir
The belt is more than tight enough.... I guess im going to have to check the alignment and see how that goes... Its my luck to get the one that does not work... The reason I bought this setup was because all the good things I have heard about it... The thing that kinda sucks is speed inc is not really offering help other than all ours have worked perfect
where is the belt coming off at? the alternator? balancer?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

popping off the powersteering which has not been touched...
Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Restricted User

Is the crank pulley walking or loosened up? Maybe not on all the way.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 PM
9 Second Club

Ive had some trouble with mine as well, chewed up 2 belts now.
They shipped me a new one hopefully it works better.

They don't say it on their website but on another thread here they say to make sure you put the stock pulley on the new alternator, I can't see any difference by eye but I swapped it out anyway.....
Old 04-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned

if it's coming off the PS then how can the alternator be out of line? We did mentioned we have not seen 1 single issue on any car we have installed them on in shop. We have spoke to your tuner 3 times about the issue and made suggestion and for him to check alignment of all the pulleys.

what else do you want me to say or offer?

Originally Posted by Tiago
Ive had some trouble with mine as well, chewed up 2 belts now.
They shipped me a new one hopefully it works better.

They don't say it on their website but on another thread here they say to make sure you put the stock pulley on the new alternator, I can't see any difference by eye but I swapped it out anyway.....
I sent out the new kit as well as gave you a credit for the bad alternator. The alternator appeared to come apart which is very obvious and not a bracket issue. The alternators supplied with the kits over the last few months do not require a pulley swap.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine has had 0 belt issues. Charging on the other hand has been a problem. I bought a new 160 amp alternator, but still have issues. Maybe its the battery? Or maybe its the wire setup isnt working the same way as a stock alternator does.

Anyways, can you messure the 2 circular pieces and see how long they are? Maybe the ones you got are either 2 short or 2 long. I will messure some spares that i got and we can compare them.

Also, has your powersteering ever been replaced or has the pulley ever been removed? Are you still using the solid pulley that is below the powersteering?

Larry I will say that the alternator not being in the correct spot will throw the belt off at the alternator. When I had the cheap bracket that I bought from some guy, I went through like 5 belts and it would all begin to walk on the Powersteering pump, then move onto the crank.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:38 AM
9 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED

I sent out the new kit as well as gave you a credit for the bad alternator. The alternator appeared to come apart which is very obvious and not a bracket issue. The alternators supplied with the kits over the last few months do not require a pulley swap.

thanks for taking care of it Larry, I appreciate it!

good to know on the pulley too

Hope to get it on today and try it out
Old 04-03-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

The powersteering is from factory and has never been moved in any way. The crank pulley has been off but I am more than 100% positive it is on all the way, the shop the car is currently at has checked the crank pulley also. When I get the car back in my possession I will take pictures of everything and measure the two spacers for the bracket. I will also use a straight edge to check if everything is inline... It kinda sucks paying this much and having these problems...
Old 04-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Banned

Tiago.. no problem

2002RamAir .. keep us posted and if you can not sort it out we will take the bracket back.

Kevin at Machine Head said give him a shout as well and maybe he can help

talk to ya soon
Old 04-04-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
Tiago.. no problem

2002RamAir .. keep us posted and if you can not sort it out we will take the bracket back.

Kevin at Machine Head said give him a shout as well and maybe he can help

talk to ya soon
Thank you!! I will def let you guys know... I should be getting the car back monday or tuesday...
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

Thank you!! I will def let you guys know... I should be getting the car back monday or tuesday...

no problem
Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Default Second belt....less than 500 miles

I'm having issues with my kit also. This is the second belt in 500 miles and it's lost one rib working forward on the pulley. When I removed the old alternator kit I also took off the fixed idler pulley. Not sure if that is correct but Speed Inc. couldn't tell me right or wrong - twice. I've never had either the crank or steering pullies off the car. They are both tight and seated. I've check the alignment off all the pullies and they line up???? After the first 100 or so miles the belt will start to slip and I retighten. No more slip but as you can see in the picture it is just a matter of time before I lose this one. At $50 a pop this will start getting exspensive. I'm pretty sure I have the alternator that doesn't need the pulley changed, but I'm about to remove the new one two compare.

Does anyone have a number for the supplier?

Just thought I'd share......
Attached Thumbnails Alt relocation problems!!!-img_4689.jpg  
Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Teching In

I am having problems with my alternator relocation bracket however it isn't the same one as yours. It is from QMP. I am researching to see what the best solution is. The Speed Inc. bracket looks very nice but I have a thought about the design. Without an automatic tensioner, I wonder if the belt gets some momentary slack during a quick let off. Also, I imagine you would have to monitor the tension and readjust as the belt stretches.

I like the design of the Car Shop bracket as it has a tensioner. At $550 I just wish it was cheaper.

[URL="nonsponserurl[/URL]

Maybe there would be a way to add the Gates tensioner to your setup.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 04-09-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: non sponser url

Quick Reply: Alt relocation problems!!!