Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil in charge side

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in charge side

Ok... I started another thread a few weeks ago because after installing my friends rear mount he had tons of oil come from the turbo. I originally thought it was a bad seal, but after we had it inspected and did some work on the car we realized the oil pump was only running when the car was on accessory, not when running. The oil was coming out of the charge side and the exhaust side because since the pump wasnt running it would fill over the centerline.

So for a quick fix (had to get it to the dyno) I just ran the oil pump off a switch that was powered directly off the battery (and he to turn it on before starting the car and that solved the problem) untill I could find a fuse that was hot when the car was running (I didnt have a test light at the time).

Well he got it back from the dyno and the numbers were very low for 7psi. Around 370/410 or something (he has a 5.7 Dodge Charger). But this was on a load bearing dyno so we were just going to let the track numbers do the talking.

Then about two days ago, he started complaining that the car didnt feel right and that he would get on it, it would bog down and that it just felt slow. At first we found the meth wasn't spraying so we quickly fixed that but then he noticed that there was some oil coming out of the BOV. We looked in the 90 degree elbow before the throttle body and found oil had worked its way all the way through the charge side up to the TB. Now there is no oil coming through the exhaust side, only the charge side and there is a steady stream from the turbo all the way up to the TB.

My question is what the hell do we do now? We have had the turbo off the first time and it was inspected, and cleaned. I put a N2O jet in the oil feed as a restrictor because before I knew that the oil pump wasnt running when the car was on, I thought that his car had to much oil pressure and the pump wasnt returning fast enough. I will probally be taking that out but I dont think that is the problem. Any help Im at a loss of ideas...

Thanks for the help, and yes I know he doesnt have a LSx car but, hes one of only a couple people that are running a turbo in an LX car so there is not a whole lot of infromation or knowledge on turbos over on the LXForums.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, I went through the same thing. I just had an oil pump that wasnt wired correctly. But, the key now for you and its a pain, but your gonna have to take all of the piping apart and clean it well. As for the oil already in your intake, get some "Sea Foam" from your local parts store, and let your intake suck it in, your car is gonna smoke for a bit, but youll be fine, and yes it is safe with the o2 sensors. I know an engineer that works for the compay that makes the Sea Foam.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

im having the same problem, first it would smoke under heavy acceleration then i put a restrictor on and it stopped. i know the pump is working, could the restrictor not be small enough?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

All the piping is coming down and will be throughly cleaned, but what about a fix? Does the turbo need to be rebuilt? I am thinking of acutally taking the restrictor out because I dont think its doing much of anything.

I talked to my friend again and he said that there is some oil coming out of the exhaust side as well... I am thinking about putting the oil pump back on a switch to be positive that it is always on
Old 04-03-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an idea..make sure you have full voltage making it to the pump. might not be running with enough voltage..if that isnt it..i would say the turb took a doo-doo
Old 04-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lt170chevelle
Just an idea..make sure you have full voltage making it to the pump. might not be running with enough voltage..if that isnt it..i would say the turb took a doo-doo
I put the oil pump back on a switch that is run right off the battery and that might have fixed it. When it was running off the fuse the pump didnt sound strong and sounded like it was straining to pump, but now it sounds like it is pumping correctly. I actually removed the restrictor and its working well. I added the restrictor before because we saw 60 psi of oil pressure at idle and that is very high. But after we let the car warm up it dropped down to 30 so I just pulled the restrictor.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PBMGoatM6
Ok... I started another thread a few weeks ago because after installing my friends rear mount he had tons of oil come from the turbo. I originally thought it was a bad seal, but after we had it inspected and did some work on the car we realized the oil pump was only running when the car was on accessory, not when running. The oil was coming out of the charge side and the exhaust side because since the pump wasnt running it would fill over the centerline.

So for a quick fix (had to get it to the dyno) I just ran the oil pump off a switch that was powered directly off the battery (and he to turn it on before starting the car and that solved the problem) untill I could find a fuse that was hot when the car was running (I didnt have a test light at the time).

Well he got it back from the dyno and the numbers were very low for 7psi. Around 370/410 or something (he has a 5.7 Dodge Charger). But this was on a load bearing dyno so we were just going to let the track numbers do the talking.

Then about two days ago, he started complaining that the car didnt feel right and that he would get on it, it would bog down and that it just felt slow. At first we found the meth wasn't spraying so we quickly fixed that but then he noticed that there was some oil coming out of the BOV. We looked in the 90 degree elbow before the throttle body and found oil had worked its way all the way through the charge side up to the TB. Now there is no oil coming through the exhaust side, only the charge side and there is a steady stream from the turbo all the way up to the TB.

My question is what the hell do we do now? We have had the turbo off the first time and it was inspected, and cleaned. I put a N2O jet in the oil feed as a restrictor because before I knew that the oil pump wasnt running when the car was on, I thought that his car had to much oil pressure and the pump wasnt returning fast enough. I will probally be taking that out but I dont think that is the problem. Any help Im at a loss of ideas...

Thanks for the help, and yes I know he doesnt have a LSx car but, hes one of only a couple people that are running a turbo in an LX car so there is not a whole lot of infromation or knowledge on turbos over on the LXForums.
Did you clean the oil from all the intake pipes? On a LSx engine with a MAF, oil on the MAF resistors will murder HP (because it skews the airflow readings). Oil is also low octane, so if it's being introduced into the intake, it's getting some in the cylinders, which can result in knock and pulled timing = low HP.

So, clean all the pipes well. Remove the short ones and clean with a rag. Use a coathanger or similiar with a rag on the end to clean the long pipes. Use Q-tips and rubbing or denatured alcohol to clean the MAF resistor wires.

As for pump, oil control, etc..... here's a post I made last year that might help

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ust-pipes.html

Quick Reply: Oil in charge side