Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another dead aps turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Another dead aps turbo

Well, long story short, I'm another victim of the APS turbo bug. I bought my F-body kit when they were first released in Oct 2008. At the time I was deployed(Army) and decided to jump on a good deal. I just got around to putting the kit on last month because it was back home in St. Louis and I'm stationed in GA. Got the car back from Vengeance and it made good power 581/556 through an M6. I had the car back all of 5 days until it went, only really got to drive it once. It rained the first 4 days after getting the car back and finally cleared up on the 5th day. I took the car out for a ride and all was well until I started smelling oil burning. Looked in the rearview and it was me!! After having a ''No F^#KING WAY'' moment, I babied it back the 5 miles to post. Out of frustration I let the car sit until today and finally got it in the air. Passenger side turbo is all dicked up and the wheel has all kinds of play every direction. I'm pretty pissed to say the least because I waited 1 1/2 years to put this kit on and get it tuned and a turbo took a dump after less than 500 miles!! I haven't called APS yet because everyone says they're dicks and are of no use. I'm gonna call them tomorrow and try and get some help but not counting on it. WTF!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn after all the time we spent on that thing .
Old 04-09-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear man. Hope they help you out.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks man. Sorry to hear it. If they don't help you out, what is your out of pocket gonna be to get that thing up and running.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you could upgrade to a good set of garrett turbos. would definately improve performance even though you don't want to dump a couple more g's into 7,500$ investment. good luck man i remember when my talon's turbo started shitting oil everywhere. **** sucks and took me forever to replace cause i'm lazy. lol
Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 AM
9 Second Club

you can centers on ebay for like 300bucks
Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Can FI rebuild them? LG is doing some work on upgraded turbos. They might be able to rebuild them for you if APS let down.

Did you buy direct from APS or through a dealer in US?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned

Damn, that sucks, I would at least try to go through APS. I had lots of trouble with my FI build, my supercharger didn't take a dump, but I had and still have other issues.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems to be pretty common. Now that more of them are on the road, more are failing, and people are willing to post up.

I bet we see a lot more people with dead turbos in this thread
Old 04-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How much are your replacements Louis? Can I get them upgraded to ball bearing? I wanna get it up ASAP but am very limited because I'm just a little E5 in the Army. What really sucks is all the **** I was talking to everybody and now they see the car sitting in the parking lot I don't know how many people I've had to tell the story to and they can't believe after spending all that money a turbo can just crap out that quick. Needless to say I'm pretty f*&^ing pissed.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

That really blows. I hope APS can work something out with you. Upgrade your turbos for free
Old 04-10-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

they should cover that crap i would be pissed,how can they charge 6000grand for a kit that the turbos suck ***.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

what turbo's do aps systems use anyway ?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

APS is really pissing me off on their customer support. For the price of these kits they should stand behind their product and replace the turbo if it is a manufacturing defect witch it obviously is. At least send people new centers I mean come on. Also whats the big deal on not wanting to sell individual pieces? What if someone breaks something and needs a replacement, your just f'd?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Has anyone reported them to the Better Business Bureau?

Don't they warranty them for a year on MANUFACTURER DEFECT?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am pretty sure aps has given some replacements out. And yeah only should need to replace center cart which are drop in since they are vbanded on both sides.
They are mits 20gs and usually super reliable. There are knock offs out there though. Many can be found on ebay so its possibly that aps got stuck with some knock offs just can't see why they would purposely buy knock offs and risk their rep.

We need to see more of these duds dissected with pics and anaylsis to see whats going on. I also felt aps shoudl be shipping replacement upgraded intake tubes for free as they suck shut on the earlier kits ,not even sure they are including the upgraded ducts in the new kits. Will either stent mine or guess buy some likely thru LG.

My dud had a critical defect that easily could have cost me a new engine. Still might have hurt the new engine not sure yet only drove car briefly before it got put away.
Mine must have internal crack and let coolant into oil.No oil in coolant though?
I have not contacted aps about it as it car was put away and coudln't really get out center cart till spring. And not even sure which of the two is the bad one. Think epp had one with same problem.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Just wanted to add that the actual center carts are not aps specific. Just their exhaust housing is aps specific for the application in the f body. So you get replacement carts from ebay, LG, etc. Aps also think wants huge bucks to go up to the upgraded larger turbos. And pretty sure won't take used ones back on trade up but again haven't discussed things directly with them. Peter used to be a regular on these forums which was handy for questions and info.

I did see him post recently.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well I am going to put two and two together for every one that has not figured out the APS stuff.

Good idea, good design for the most part.

6k is not enough money for this kit if it was made with American parts and American labor.

So what do you receive in those boxs of parts, APS designed stuff made in CHINA! Take the good with the bad, its like getting a ebay XSPower turbo.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

i won't disagree with that - but u chose to sell it, u said ud support it.. lets make it happen ya know?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

No doubt I totally agree on having good customer support. Seems like they start sponsoring a board sell there product and then get the hell out of Dodge.

Quick Reply: Another dead aps turbo