Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

need help going TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help going TT

well ive finally decided to go twin turbo on my car as i am more of a nitrous guy myself...i wanna change things up this year....but i would like to no whats the cheapest way i can go TT on my ws6 what parts would i need to get first ...i dont really wanna run that big of turbos on my car either any input is appreciated
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

bump.....anyone
Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Look in the forced induction area more for the best help. There is a ton of information there, try searching TT kits too.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

Oh and "cheapest" and turbos don't go together..even with a custom kit. good turbos BOV's and WG's already alone will net you a good chunk if you buy them new
Old 04-14-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Let's start with 2 questions. What is your budget and how much power do you want to make? The APS kit comes to mind but what is your current setup? Turbo gets expensive very quick. There is a nice twin kit for sale in the classifieds for dirt cheap. 30th ta is selling it.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

budget wise about 1000-1800$ for starters power wise dosnt really matter in the 500+ hp range is good for me ..........right now my current set up is pretty much stock includes qtp lt's custom ypipe , ms3 cam stock heads and stock bottom end i am making 421rwhp and 392tq.....is it possible to stay with the same cam i have
Old 04-15-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well two good turbos are pretty much already over your budget. course you can sell your longtubes.Your compression is high so some 317 heads would be a good thing. Just about any cam can work in a pinch. Buying a used kit like was mentioned is your best bet. Otherwise forget the turbo idea. Even a single kit is going to be like double what you have.
You need fuel pump or pumps, you need bigger injectors like 60s . 42 bare minimum.
You didn't mention what trans you have. If auto pretty much have to build it up 4l60 are weak. If stick likely need better clutch depending on what you have now.
I wouldn't consider any kind of turbo unless you have at least 3000 to 4000 bare minimum and double that would be much better. It just keeps going when you go FI.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Well two good turbos are pretty much already over your budget. course you can sell your longtubes.Your compression is high so some 317 heads would be a good thing. Just about any cam can work in a pinch. Buying a used kit like was mentioned is your best bet. Otherwise forget the turbo idea. Even a single kit is going to be like double what you have.
You need fuel pump or pumps, you need bigger injectors like 60s . 42 bare minimum.
You didn't mention what trans you have. If auto pretty much have to build it up 4l60 are weak. If stick likely need better clutch depending on what you have now.
I wouldn't consider any kind of turbo unless you have at least 3000 to 4000 bare minimum and double that would be much better. It just keeps going when you go FI.

well the money is jus for starters .....and i have a t56 tranny
Old 04-15-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

T56 hold up ok to some decent power. Factory clutch of course won't but lots of decent clutches out there to get.

Lots of sponsors on the board like kentucky turbo that can sell you hot parts and stuff or maybe you have welding skills to do some yourself. Local guy built a single turbo setup on his third gen and its doing very well at track. Low 11s at near 126mph.
Forged up 350. He has masterpower single turbo, not sure make of blow off and wastegate.he got his turbo headers pretty sure off ebay. And think also his intercooler and fabbed up his cold side piping. He is auto trans with stall. He dynoed think it was 480 or so and has more cababilty left. That was also mustang dyno I think so might be lower than dynojet.
Single is defintely easier and cheaper to do if you are on a budget. Twins you start doubling price ,for the turbos of course..two gates..two blow offs.
Again if you can buy a good used kit you could be much further ahead.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
T56 hold up ok to some decent power. Factory clutch of course won't but lots of decent clutches out there to get.

Lots of sponsors on the board like kentucky turbo that can sell you hot parts and stuff or maybe you have welding skills to do some yourself. Local guy built a single turbo setup on his third gen and its doing very well at track. Low 11s at near 126mph.
Forged up 350. He has masterpower single turbo, not sure make of blow off and wastegate.he got his turbo headers pretty sure off ebay. And think also his intercooler and fabbed up his cold side piping. He is auto trans with stall. He dynoed think it was 480 or so and has more cababilty left. That was also mustang dyno I think so might be lower than dynojet.
Single is defintely easier and cheaper to do if you are on a budget. Twins you start doubling price ,for the turbos of course..two gates..two blow offs.
Again if you can buy a good used kit you could be much further ahead.

will a spec 2 clutch hold um good cause thats what i have in it right now
Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Bordeline at 500 rwhp doubt it would do much more. Think spec 3 is more up to the task or spec plus. Buddy that had spec three and runs around 520rwhp range with with nitrous and heads,cam ,headers bolt on car runs tex single now he had a spec 3 that lasted a long time at 420rwhp.

If was staying m6 would likely be trying out a spec twin. My tex twin is pretty good to. Some minor things about it like it has floater rattle. Its pretty streetable though.

There are lots of clutch choices out there now..ACT, Monster, Tex, Spec,Mcleod..Ram..

Actually local guy has spec 2 on his sts car. Its basic sts turbo run at 5psi and stock engine so woudl think he is around 500rwhp maybe? He hasn't dynoed it yet.
Clutch seems to work ok but he is very mellow. He don't go to track and doubt runs it hard at all. But it might get you buy for awhile.

Seriously though unless you have some great welding and fab skills buy pieces from reliable sponsors on here and you should be ok and still to brand names for things like waste gates and make sure you don't get knock offs.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

well my spec 2 seems to be holding up good ive got 421rwhp and running a 125shot with no problem
Old 04-16-2009, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a lot of supporting mods to go turbo. The kit is just the beginning. I bought the APS TT kit, Then I still needed the tubular k-member, valvesprings & pushrods, fuel system upgrade (I did pump, hotwire kit & 60lb injectors). The additional power caused issues with the stock torque arm mounted to the trans tailshaft leaking so I had to get the BMR torque arm relocation bracket and that fixed the drip I was getting courtesy of all that extra torque.

Oh and exhaust system and a tune are a must unless you can work with your current system and make it mate up to your set-up. But the tune is the big one. I got a safe street tune and have had no issues as I DD mine. But that is also a cost to factor in. And with the k-member swap an alignment is also needed. So unless you have a hook-up with a shop, plan for that cost as well.

That is just off the top of my head but the K-member, fuel system and other items are already over your budgeted amount. You may still want to add other items like gauges. I finally added mine after a year without them due to needing to save up for them. I got Boost, Electronic Fuel Pressure, and Wideband to monitor the key characteristics.

There are always additional costs you don't think about or forget. I spread mine out over a 6 month period so it wasn't as bad all at once. But my jaw dropped when I finally added everything together at the end of the year. Granted I love my car and enjoy driving it. I was still shocked at how much I had spent without realizing it.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

The budget will be gone with a good set of tire - I spent $900 just for the slicks and fronts. 1 GOOD turbo will cost more than your budget. This year's build alone will cost close to $20K. IMO save up through the summer and get closer to $5K even to start your build. Like said, the little things will eat you up - $2K just for hose and fittings this year.

Good luck guy.

David
Old 04-18-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FI is expensive. Just pretend that your car is like your wife/girlfriend. They will do about the same thing! Take all your money lol! Save your money and plan a kit accordingly. Don't piece things together. You'll enjoy your fi setup a lot better if you plan your kit without money restraints cause it will never work out the way you want it otherwise.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

turbo and in expensive dont go together. i set out to do a rear mount with a 2.5k budget. then i decided to do front mount. (didnt want to deal with an electric oil pump) and i bet ill have around 3k in it without doing any trans upgrades. and with my a4 trans upgrades are a must. i would say 4k could build you a nice dependable setup.