Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost Newbie with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Newbie with Questions

Well I don't have a LS1 but since I have supercharger questions, hopefully you guys can help me out. I have a 1995 LT1 M6 that I just bought a Procharger for. It is the P600B but I got an excellent deal on it so I decided to get it. I'd like to save as much money as I can, but I don't want to skimp on things that are necessary. So here is the start of my million questions.

Well first of all, the kit came with a 12# pulley and I would like to get a 6# pulley, is there any way to get these besides getting one from Procharger? I also need piping made to go to my intercooler? Once again, is this something I have to get from Procharger?

Another problem is that I need to run a oil return line. How can I do this without pulling the oil pan off, or is that the only safe way to do it?

The kit also comes with the the FMU which is supposedly supposed to allow me, with the upgraded inline fuel pump, to be able to use the factory injectors, is this true?

Also, what about gauges? Do I need a wideband O2 sensor? If I get a dynotune, do I still need one? In car fuel pressure gauge?

I also want a BOV, a good sounding one like a Tial or a HKS, can I use a generic? Where do I get these from? Only Ebay? I know this isn't necessary on my application, but I absolutely love the sound.

And also, what do I do about a tune? Is this completely necessary? Is a dynotune the only way to go? What about a mail order tune? I would love to be able to have a datalogging software on my laptop if I could tune it that way, but I doubt I have the knowledge to do all that. I've heard that mail order tunes get sent to you, and you can then run the car, and send the data log back to the company and they can see if they need to tweak anything, true? Rather than doing the borrow the tuner thing from the company like trifecta does, I'd like it to be on my laptop so I can tweak it, like maybe adjust my rev limited or something. So I could lower it for when I was on the street so I could make sure I don't over rev my motor when I am out playing.

I really don't know much about this forced induction as my only experience is factory turbos and superchargers on cars I owned. I want to make as much power as I can, but I'd like to do it safely. I am assuming that I can make in the 400rwhp safely, and that's good for me. At that point I will need to start upgrading other things i.e. brakes, clutch, rear end. I'd also like to work on some of my other projects as well.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by brewersprts; 04-15-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Reply

Originally Posted by brewersprts
well i don't have a ls1 but since i have supercharger questions, hopefully you guys can help me out. I have a 1995 lt1 m6 that i just bought a procharger for. It is the p600b but i got an excellent deal on it so i decided to get it. I'd like to save as much money as i can, but i don't want to skimp on things that are necessary. So here is the start of my million questions.

Well first of all, the kit came with a 12# pulley and i would like to get a 6# pulley, is there any way to get these besides getting one from procharger? I also need piping made to go to my intercooler? Once again, is this something i have to get from procharger?

We have procharger sponsors on the site..they could stock different pulleys.

Another problem is that i need to run a oil return line. How can i do this without pulling the oil pan off, or is that the only safe way to do it?

Its best to take off the pan to punch holes in it for lines or you risk metal filings in your oil. Some guys might do it with maybe magnetic drill bit or some grease on the bit..your call. I had my pan off when did my turbo kit but did engine at same time.

The kit also comes with the the fmu which is supposedly supposed to allow me, with the upgraded inline fuel pump, to be able to use the factory injectors, is this true?
I have seen the fmu system and don't really like it. But think that is can let you get buy with stock injectors. But if you are getting tuned anyway ditch it and get some 42 or 60 pounders. 42 pounders are cheap and should be enough for awhile.you must get tuning for them and the blower anyway. You have to richen up mixture and you have to cut timing.

Also, what about gauges? Do i need a wideband o2 sensor? If i get a dynotune, do i still need one? In car fuel pressure gauge?
Wideband is good to have. In car fuel pressure is good to have.

I also want a bov, a good sounding one like a tial or a hks, can i use a generic? Where do i get these from? Only ebay? I know this isn't necessary on my application, but i absolutely love the sound.
Stick to brand name from good suppliers. Don't trust knock offs and don't believe in supporting the companies that make them.genuine tial is high quality. Genuine hks is high quality.

And also, what do i do about a tune? Is this completely necessary? Is a dynotune the only way to go? What about a mail order tune? I would love to be able to have a datalogging software on my laptop if i could tune it that way, but i doubt i have the knowledge to do all that. I've heard that mail order tunes get sent to you, and you can then run the car, and send the data log back to the company and they can see if they need to tweak anything, true? Rather than doing the borrow the tuner thing from the company like trifecta does, i'd like it to be on my laptop so i can tweak it, like maybe adjust my rev limited or something. So i could lower it for when i was on the street so i could make sure i don't over rev my motor when i am out playing.
You have to tune the car.you can buy programs and learn how or send away if you don't know how. You can kill a motor in seconds if its not tuned. Run lean or too much timing..boom boom pistons in lt1 and ls1 are crap stock. Break way too easy if tuning is not right.

I really don't know much about this forced induction as my only experience is factory turbos and superchargers on cars i owned. I want to make as much power as i can, but i'd like to do it safely. I am assuming that i can make in the 400rwhp safely, and that's good for me. At that point i will need to start upgrading other things i.e. Brakes, clutch, rear end. I'd also like to work on some of my other projects as well.

hope that helps..
Old 04-20-2009, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Nobody has any answers?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebay is your friend..lol i would check there for the various pieces you need..if they are there then they will be allot cheaper than the vendor.fmu works but injectors are better..and usually they are tuned to work with your stock injectors BUT are setup for one set amount of boost..probally setup for the pulley it came with..The tune will have to be done to get your timing down and can get your fueling close.I personally got a wideband because i tuned my own car.Not really needed if you arent going to be tuning yourself. And a fuel pressure guage is nice but not necesary.hope this sheds a little light on things.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

I want to use the pulley it came with, that is okie dokie with me. So the FMU should sufice, and if they can't get the A/F right on the dyno with it, then I will just have to go get the injectors then, that's what you're saying right?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

correctomundo ..one of the other things is that the fmu's are real hard on fuel pumps since they can double the fuel pressure, but is a cheaper way of getting the fuel in check.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

MY99TAWS6 just answered your questions when he quoted you. Look again, I made it in bold for you.

[quote]
well i don't have a ls1 but since i have supercharger questions, hopefully you guys can help me out. I have a 1995 lt1 m6 that i just bought a procharger for. It is the p600b but i got an excellent deal on it so i decided to get it. I'd like to save as much money as i can, but i don't want to skimp on things that are necessary. So here is the start of my million questions.

Well first of all, the kit came with a 12# pulley and i would like to get a 6# pulley, is there any way to get these besides getting one from procharger? I also need piping made to go to my intercooler? Once again, is this something i have to get from procharger?

Another problem is that i need to run a oil return line. How can i do this without pulling the oil pan off, or is that the only safe way to do it?

Its best to take off the pan to punch holes in it for lines or you risk metal filings in your oil. Some guys might do it with maybe magnetic drill bit or some grease on the bit..your call. I had my pan off when did my turbo kit but did engine at same time.

The kit also comes with the the fmu which is supposedly supposed to allow me, with the upgraded inline fuel pump, to be able to use the factory injectors, is this true?

I have seen the fmu system and don't really like it. But think that is can let you get buy with stock injectors. But if you are getting tuned anyway ditch it and get some 42 or 60 pounders. 42 pounders are cheap and should be enough for awhile.you must get tuning for them and the blower anyway. You have to richen up mixture and you have to cut timing.

Also, what about gauges? Do i need a wideband o2 sensor? If i get a dynotune, do i still need one? In car fuel pressure gauge?

I also want a bov, a good sounding one like a tial or a hks, can i use a generic? Where do i get these from? Only ebay? I know this isn't necessary on my application, but i absolutely love the sound.

Stick to brand name from good suppliers. Don't trust knock offs and don't believe in supporting the companies that make them.genuine tial is high quality. Genuine hks is high quality.

And also, what do i do about a tune? Is this completely necessary? Is a dynotune the only way to go? What about a mail order tune? I would love to be able to have a datalogging software on my laptop if i could tune it that way, but i doubt i have the knowledge to do all that. I've heard that mail order tunes get sent to you, and you can then run the car, and send the data log back to the company and they can see if they need to tweak anything, true? Rather than doing the borrow the tuner thing from the company like trifecta does, i'd like it to be on my laptop so i can tweak it, like maybe adjust my rev limited or something. So i could lower it for when i was on the street so i could make sure i don't over rev my motor when i am out playing.

You have to tune the car.you can buy programs and learn how or send away if you don't know how. You can kill a motor in seconds if its not tuned. Run lean or too much timing..boom boom pistons in lt1 and ls1 are crap stock. Break way too easy if tuning is not right.

I really don't know much about this forced induction as my only experience is factory turbos and superchargers on cars i owned. I want to make as much power as i can, but i'd like to do it safely. I am assuming that i can make in the 400rwhp safely, and that's good for me. At that point i will need to start upgrading other things i.e. Brakes, clutch, rear end. I'd also like to work on some of my other projects as well.

Last edited by Silver_TransAm; 04-20-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Silver_TransAm;11464735]MY99TAWS6 just answered your questions when he quoted you. Look again, I made it in bold for you.

Wow, I am an idiot. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Boost Newbie with Questions