Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Turbo or Supercharger?
Turbocharger
59.18%
Supercharger
40.82%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger vs Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Complexity and cost aside, turbo all the way. I'm about halfway through "maximum boost" by corky bell, can't wait to turbo the Z28.

Gotta love the efficiency of a turbo, and that it has "normal/stock" characteristics until load is present.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

max you are lucky to have a turbo camaro and supercharged cobra. just get a kenne bell for the cobra it will wake her up a lot,
Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

it all depends on your resources (time, capital, knowledge, and intended uses)
Now we all have our opinions so don't go flaming me saying i'm ignorant for what follows.

I don't care what every one thinks, but SCs are better for daily drivers and all of the "performance" cars with stock turbo setups are poorly designed. Superchargers are easier to install, manage, and troubleshoot, are cheaper to buy and maintain, and are more reliable. Building on the concept of spooling, superchargers produce instant torque, which is what you want for driving down the street; having an exorbitant amount of high-rpm horsepower in a streetcar can only get you one place, fast... jail. One of the main cars I drive is a turbodiesel with quite a bit of power under its hood. you floor the pedal and it takes about 1-3 seconds (yes, seconds) for the turbo to kick in, then you get your power. with a blower, you get instant gratification as well as the "back to the seat" satisfaction.

again, don't argue about this, but SCs can produce more power at 2 lbs boost than a turbo at 8.

Now, in a racecar, a turbo setup is MUCH better, because you get the high end horsepower that you want, making up for the lack of off the line power. you get better traction because of the lack of power at the line.

nitrous has its pros and cons as well, but I won't go into that because I have never personally experimented.

(also NOS is flammable)
Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

I voted supercharger. The reason is because I had an A@A vortech kit which was great. I sold it and bought an sts twin turbo kit. I have had nothing but oil problems ever since. If I didn't have rear mounts my vote would probably be different.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Launching!

plus when you use NOS you see this and then your floorboard falls apart

Old 04-20-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
Now we all have our opinions so don't go flaming me saying i'm ignorant for what follows.

I don't care what every one thinks, but SCs are better for daily drivers and all of the "performance" cars with stock turbo setups are poorly designed. Superchargers are easier to install, manage, and troubleshoot, are cheaper to buy and maintain, and are more reliable. Building on the concept of spooling, superchargers produce instant torque, which is what you want for driving down the street; having an exorbitant amount of high-rpm horsepower in a streetcar can only get you one place, fast... jail. One of the main cars I drive is a turbodiesel with quite a bit of power under its hood. you floor the pedal and it takes about 1-3 seconds (yes, seconds) for the turbo to kick in, then you get your power. with a blower, you get instant gratification as well as the "back to the seat" satisfaction.

again, don't argue about this, but SCs can produce more power at 2 lbs boost than a turbo at 8.

Now, in a racecar, a turbo setup is MUCH better, because you get the high end horsepower that you want, making up for the lack of off the line power. you get better traction because of the lack of power at the line.

nitrous has its pros and cons as well, but I won't go into that because I have never personally experimented.

(also NOS is flammable)
Tons and Tons and Tons and Tons of mis-information here. But since you said don't argue....I'll let it go, lol.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

LOL !! And it takes 18 shifts to make 1/4 mile!

And I hate it when my Manifold blows my floorboards all to S#it!!

1-3 second turbo spool must be a Powersmoke - and yes I know because I have had 3 different work Powersmokes and thought I was going to be in an accident multiple times in intersections.

Agree with those who asked you why the question?? You have the best of both worlds - upgrade that twin screw in the Cobra, or better yet, get rid of it and buy a ZR1 and find out what SC really means! (just bugging!)
Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(also NOS is flammable)

WOW JUST WOW!
"superchargers can produce more hp at 2psi then turbos than a turbo at 8psi . "And I guess you stayed at a holiday inn last night?

I have had turbo cars that have gone for 100,000s of thousands of miles.
Factory. While other things in the cars were maybe not the most reliable like the silly interference engine idea the turbo systems themselves were reliable,can be changed out in my talons easily and spool up quickly with stock turbo and can built boost off the line with things like two steps,antilag.
Auto turbo cars can build boost even easier especially with stall.

Instant torque from roots or twin screws is not always what you want for the street unless you like driving around on et street radials 24/7.
Turbo boost can be ramped in by gear or rpm ,etc which can greatly help the traction problem of by going to bigger turbos you can move the powerband up higher when the tires have better chance of handling it.
Centrifugal supers can bring the power in more progressively making them pretty streetable.

If turbos in street cars are so inferior to turbos than why did the various factories produce so many different variations of turbo cars. Porche, mercedes, grand nationals, dsms, toyota supra, turbo diesel trucks..etc .Turbos are way more common on cars than supers.
Fact think there has only been a handful of factory supercharged cars..the late model grand prix comes to mind,mustang cobras,of course the new z1r.

You don't want us to argue with you ,then don't post total garbage and misinformation and thats my opinion.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

like i said... don't go flaming me for this and it isn't mis information. This is MY OPINION and all of this is from MY EXPERIENCES in the auto world.
I've been around cars for over half of my life, and have more experience with big-blocks than with LSX engines. I'm on this forum to learn more than I am to share.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

like i said... don't go flaming me for this and it isn't mis information. This is MY OPINION and all of this is from MY EXPERIENCES in the auto world.
I've been around cars for over half of my life, and have more experience with big-blocks than with LSX engines. I'm on this forum to learn more than I am to share.
I am 50 years old. I have also been around hot rod cars my whole life. And have owned v8 vega and monza swaps, a big block chevy with 6.71 roots blower, many many dsm cars thats talons/lasers/elclipses all turbo don't mess with the na ones and now have been playing with my tt trans am.
I have had rides in and driven ..paxton supercharged lt1, ati procharged lt1. sts lt1. Sts ls1 and ati procharged d1sc ls1. The paxton was six speed. The procharged lt1 was six speed. The sts lt1 was auto and the procharged ls1 was auto. The sts ls1 was six speed.

I don't find any of my turbo cars or these other ones unstreetable. You can just run lower boost if there is too much power. Or ramp it in with boost controllers as said by gear,mph,etc. The turbos are very streetable and usually very reliable. I dont' find turbo cars that hard to tune and am no tuning genius. Just because the turbos need some oil and sometimes water lines and usually have intercooler piping also don't make them super complicated.
Supers are a bit simpler install but most good supers need intercoolers also.
So just no hot side piping and some are self contained like ati so don't have to punch thru the pan.

As for this 2psi versus turbo at 8psi that is about stupidest comment ever heard. Now if I had some monster super against some tiny little turbo I guess it might be true state..A f1r ati might put out more power at 2psi than some tiny 4 banger size turbo if it was put on a v8.

As for turbos and race car only use again if you are talking huge turbos with terrible super high rpm spoolup than yet those can make some pretty terrible street powerbands. But properly sized setups aren't like that at all.

My turbo cars with reasonable gearing and reasonble sized turbos are very very streetable. What turbo experience do you have besides maybe big diesel trucks.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

(also NOS is flammable)
fail .....you should be here to learn more than anything

p.s properly installed and tuned front mounted twins own all ! lol
Old 04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can state incorrect information that could lead someone to make a bad decision....but we can't voice OUR opinion about your horrible information.

That fact that you said 2psi with a s/c makes more than 8psi with a turbo shows your lack of knowledge alone. You do realize that 8psi with a d1sc makes more power than 8psi with a P1sc right? And that they are BOTH superchargers???? How is this possible???
Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black00ssfl
you can state incorrect information that could lead someone to make a bad decision....but we can't voice our opinion about your horrible information.

That fact that you said 2psi with a s/c makes more than 8psi with a turbo shows your lack of knowledge alone. You do realize that 8psi with a d1sc makes more power than 8psi with a p1sc right? And that they are both superchargers???? How is this possible???
+1000
Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i didn't say don't correct me. just don't crucify me...
and no, outside of turbo-diesel, i have no turbo exp.

p.p.s. yes i was comparing a decent blower to a small turbo.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

hahahha ah
Old 04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

honeycutt.dewey

you any relation to edward or amber huneycutt from houston texas?
Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by why me
honeycutt.dewey

you any relation to edward or amber huneycutt from houston texas?

no, last name used to be spelled Hunnicut, but was changed. as far as i know my family isn't related to anyone outside of AL
Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i didn't say don't correct me. just don't crucify me...
and no, outside of turbo-diesel, i have no turbo exp.

p.p.s. yes i was comparing a decent blower to a small turbo.
Then why make that comparison??? Same thing goes the other way around.....a turbo at 2 psi can make more than a blower at 8psi. I think you should quit while your ahead.....turbo diesels are a different ball game.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bravoboost
hahahha ah
wtf are you laughing at
Old 04-20-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok guys, let my ignorance die, i vote supercharger.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Turbocharger