0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

poll: which kind of FI is best for MY goals

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default poll: which kind of FI is best for MY goals

first off i'm not trying to get into the age old argument of which is better...

i just want to know which i better for MY intended goals.

the car is a 73 datsun 240z. i'm sure everyone here has heard of the darius240z and yes that is the inspiration for the car i want to build.

the biggest problem i that his car had before he rebuilt it into a full racecar was traction. without going outside the fenders the MOST tire you can fit under the car is a 275/40-17. darius was running 245 drag radials and here' is a clip of his car rolling from 3rd gear and shifting to 4th... he was putting down a little over 600rwhp

[YT]pyxlgjWSeAY[/YT]

now after seeing that you can see why im concerned. he was running a D1SC which adds power/boost as rpms grow... which seem the most controllable but i dont always want to have to downshift to get a little power. i like the thought of a turbo because they are mild when light on the gas and will build boost in any gear if you give it throttle. plus you can simply turn the boost up or down at the flick of a wrist. i am also trying to keep the on the car as quite as possible when just cruising around which a turbo is good for when used with both a cat and good muffler. downside a proper setup turbo is going to that they build boost and fast (obviously causing traction issues) instead of gradually like a procharger would. i've pretty much taken any roots/screw type blower out of the equation since they produce alot of low end tq which doesnt mix well with little meat and a lightweight car.

so i cant make up my mind... my car is going to be mainly a street car. not a DD just a toy. but i want it to be mild mannered until it comes time to open it up. so which would be the best application for that

Last edited by mikeith; 04-22-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you already have your mind made up, and answered your own question, Turbo cus on the street you can crank the boost right on down to off if you want to and right back up even while WOT if you want to ... thus getting the thing hooked on low boost then hitting the high boost button.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

well hell i cant get the video to embed...